The Student Room Group

chemistry planning

Hey evry1 im kinda nu on here but i figured i mite actually get sum decent advice on here! neways i've jus started ma AS cours (this yr) an im about 2 plan 4 ma 1st practical. We're not gonna do the hole thing its jus a practice planning but the teacher has been so unhelpful i cud scream! neways i have 2 plan how 2 determine the molar mass of a certain acid...only problem being that I have no idea where 2 start. Has ne1 got any info on where 2 start?
ne help wud b much appreciated!
Reply 1
I take it you mean that you need to find the concentraion of an acid. If thisis what you mean then your best bet is to carry out an acid/base titration. Titrate an appropriate alkalin (eg: NaOH) against the acid with an indciator, when all the acid has reacted the indicator will change colour. You can then record the amound of base you have used and can calculate the conc. (and no. of moles.) if you do a search on google for acid/base titrations it should throw up some results with worked examples. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
could you explain that a bit better, LIKE HOW YOU WORK OUT THE CONC. i have just had chem and we had to do it from memory. i know you have to divide an amount by something and then times something, but not sure what.
Reply 3
Dude
could you explain that a bit better, LIKE HOW YOU WORK OUT THE CONC. i have just had chem and we had to do it from memory. i know you have to divide an amount by something and then times something, but not sure what.

Sorry, I can't basically coz I can't remember and havn't got my chem work with me at coll today. But like I siad, if you do a search alot of revison sites do worked examples showing you how to calculate it.

Latest