The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Nah it's Greenwich uni :awesome:
Reply 61
I live in Manchester and i've not heard of it being called gunchester till now lol! But seriously i never even thought about mmu / Manchester being dangerous uni's. The area around the uni's seems fine to me, infact i feel safer walking around there than most other places. I think because it's a big city of course, you shouldn't walk around on you're own at night advertising you're new mobile phone or flashing money around, but that goes for most places. I also go to Salford and parts of it are rough but the area around the uni is fine, again, aslong as you don't go looking for trouble and are sensible, they're not that bad!
Reply 62
Nottingham's fine as long as you don't go in any dodgy areas, they're fairly easy to avoid. If I'm honest, I feel safer in Nottingham than Derby on a night out.
Reply 63
Out of the universities you spoke about... I'd say Queen Mary.
Queen Mary isn't THAT bad. I'd much rather walk around Mile End than, say, Canning Town or Southwark.
Reply 65
Antonia87
Queen Mary isn't THAT bad. I'd much rather walk around Mile End than, say, Canning Town or Southwark.

What, lol? Southwark is amazing ! :smile: Although if you continue to Elephant & Castle, you've gone too far :rolleyes:
astudent
What, lol? Southwark is amazing ! :smile: Although if you continue to Elephant & Castle, you've gone too far :rolleyes:

Ah ha THATS where I meant. Me and a few friends initially went to Southwark and then proceeded to take one of them home to Elephant & Castle and being a group of girls, we didnt feel too safe milling around. We saw a good handful of dodgy characters and a few police vans...
Manchester, as the university is sandwiched between the two areas most affected by gun-crime, and Manchester actually lives up to its Gunchester tag as there are way more fatal shootings there than Nottingham, and that's been the case for the past 15 years. Not that I'm proud to say it, but Manchester is the roughest city outside of London, and a lot of people think some areas of it are as rough, if not rougher, than some parts of the capital. I'd say there's been more fatal shootings in Manchester in the past couple of years than there ever has been in Nottingham
Reply 68
Antonia87
Ah ha THATS where I meant. Me and a few friends initially went to Southwark and then proceeded to take one of them home to Elephant & Castle and being a group of girls, we didnt feel too safe milling around. We saw a good handful of dodgy characters and a few police vans...

Lol thats understandable, E&C is arguably the dodgiest area near central london although loads of people brave its perils to go to MoS :biggrin:
Reply 69
RamocitoMorales
Ye, because annoying people are so dangerous. :erm:

In this case I am referring to the people causing trouble as annoying, thanks for your input though.
Reply 70
Glasgow University is in the one of the nicest places in Glasgow, if you stay in that area :smile: Tbh, Glasgow's fine if you use your brain and don't get wide to cheeky neds :P
It's probably a good idea to get adjusted to the area really really well incase you do need to run from neds, but meh it will not happen in the west end, honestly.
jewel08
I have applied for a course for Durham Uni - Queens Campus, whch is pratically in Teeside.

Is it really that bad, I haven't had a chance to look around properly?

TBH as a native NE-ener I can promise you Stockon is fairly rough. However, does it really matter? Nothing to say you cant have a good time at uni there though. Uni buildings will be nice and shiny and new. Alcohol will be cheap.

Not quite as nice an area as bath though
Prudy
Stockon isn't Teesside. It's not that bad at all.

Depends wether you are talking about teeside the uni or the area.

Stockon is in teeside, so comes with the associated roughness, despite being part of a good university, non?
Reply 73
This is probably the only decent thread the Op has made on TSR.
Reply 74
astudent
Lol thats understandable, E&C is arguably the dodgiest area near central london although loads of people brave its perils to go to MoS :biggrin:

that crown goes to the area behind Guy's hospital, neighboring Bermondsey, and the entire area north of euston road heading up to Camden Town. Southwark/Borough are fine but the farther you go away from the river the worst it gets. its just one huge council estate, as is the area north of Euston road.
Reply 75
generic hybrid
ELVET STREET MAFIA UP IN DIS BITCH THREAD.

:rofl:

I love you (almost as much as I love Democracy) :p:

RamocitoMorales

Did you really expect me to be sad enough to travel across the entire face of Britain just so I can make a measly thread on TSR. I may be RamocitoMorales, but I'm not River85.

I'm what...six or seven years older than you? It's not suprising I'm reasonably well travelled. What's so sad about travelling?

butchered_wyer
who or what is river85 :s-smilie:

*ahem*

I'm obviously not as famous as I thought :frown:

Decs.
Ah Teeside, my town of birth, my fathers birth and that of most my extended family. Also where i don't live anymore. It's an awful town really. It was built on the Steel Industry and Shipping, when that all went Pete Tongue back in the 70's the town went down hill with it.

Teesside isn't a town though. Just to make it clear, this is largely Boro you're referring to and not Stockton.

Even so, there are lovely areas outside Boro and some quite nice areas in the borough (Yarm's classed as Middlesbourgh now). It may be a bit deary and a vibrant Newcastle, Leeds or Manchester it is not. But, even with its inflated crime figures (which still are nowhere near as high as major cities), I wouldn't say Middlesbrough is particularly rough. Just a bit chemically.

Middlesbrough gave the world the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Be proud!

Democracy

If you're sensible and take proper precautions, you'll be fine. If you decide to wander around at 2am in a badly lit alleyway showing off your phone, yeah you might get mugged, but if you behave properly that shouldn't happen.

:ditto:

Give me an area with a bit of character (like East London/Tower Hamlets/Mile End) over an overrated, crowded and still high-crime areas like Bloomsbury.

If you go out looking for trouble then you'll find it wherever you are. Take the obvious precautions and, even in these "rough" areas, it's unlikely you'll be a victim of crime.

When it does come to these cities and their deprived areas, how many students will really have much to do with them anyway?
Nottingham isn't even that dangerous anymore.
Reply 77
jaydoh
Manchester, as the university is sandwiched between the two areas most affected by gun-crime, and Manchester actually lives up to its Gunchester tag as there are way more fatal shootings there than Nottingham, and that's been the case for the past 15 years. Not that I'm proud to say it, but Manchester is the roughest city outside of London, and a lot of people think some areas of it are as rough, if not rougher, than some parts of the capital. I'd say there's been more fatal shootings in Manchester in the past couple of years than there ever has been in Nottingham

I never really feel unsafe here apart from walking from home to the bus stop/the other way round if it's dark, just because there's no one around. In the centre there's aaaaaaalways people around, so I never get worried waiting for buses and stuff, and the shootings I hear of are like (a couple of weeks ago for instance) a young guy wandering around in an alleyway in Moss Side. *shrugs* That said, I read in the MEN yesterday that someone got stabbed in Burger King in Piccadilly (?) and people just kept on eating/watching, AND it was really busy :s-smilie:
Reply 78
Turdburger
Depends wether you are talking about teeside the uni or the area.

Stockon is in teeside, so comes with the associated roughness, despite being part of a good university, non?

I think my Prudy was referring to the town itself rather that Teesside university.

It's the mid point of rather affluent, rural and pretty Teesdale and not so pretty, urban Teesside. But it's not that bad and I wouldn't say its rough. It has some lovely areas nearby, Thornaby is quite nice and, if you're going to take crime rates seriously, they still aren't as high as most major cities.
Anyone who says Nottingham has no idea. There are bad parts; especially in the East of the city but these areas are very distinct from the University side (on the west).

Latest

Trending

Trending