Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7280861578

Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, but the course I applied to at Sheffield said we only needed to pass the first year, and that only the 2nd and 3rd years counted towards the degree!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah for most uni's that is true

ReputationRep:
    Yeh generally it's true- most degrees don't count units from 1st year so you just need to 40% pass mark

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, BUT, you need to pass first year to get into 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, yes. However, I would not say that this is the same as stating that the first year dosen't matter. It is intended to allow everyone to begin the honours stage of their degree (years two and three) on the same foundation, and it is useful for making the transition to university level study because it is less pressured than the final two years (or three, if you are taking a four year course and spending one year abroad on language study)

ReputationRep:
    Also, I imagine that the more you try and come to terms with/learn/read/understand in 1st year, surely it stands you in good stead for the rest of your degree?

ReputationRep:
    Depends.MY First Year will count for a tiny part of my degree, and also affect what university abroad I go to in Third Year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    Depends.MY First Year will count for a tiny part of my degree, and also affect what university abroad I go to in Third Year.
    Great point, at Warwick, only the people with 1st class or 2.1 in first year are allowed to apply for the Sorbonne in second year.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni, course, and if your doing something like a placement.

For me, the first year doesn't count towards my actual degree, though I do need to pass to be allowed to carry on to the second year.
    However, as I'm doing a placement year in my 3rd year, the companies I apply to will be looking at my 1st year results to decide if they want to accept me on the placement or not (as I will be applying during my 2nd year, so won't have those results yet).

ReputationRep:
    I think for me it does matter a bit, like a few percent are first year. But the vast bulk of the work that counts towards the degree is in the 2nd and 3rd years yes

ReputationRep:
    Good luck getting a 2nd year work placement with a crap first year grade.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, the first 2 years technically do not count in Cambridge, its all on the 3rd year lol. But I wouldnt expect many people get 3rd's in the first two years and go on to get a 1st in the 3rd year. So make of it what u will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brouhaha)
    Great point, at Warwick, only the people with 1st class or 2.1 in first year are allowed to apply for the Sorbonne in second year.
    Due to the popularity of Paris, I'm presuming? I'm lucky because I'd rather slit my wrists than live in Paris, so in theory there should be less competition for the university I do want. Of course, good grades will help!

ReputationRep:
    Depends; first year can often be important for putting down the foundation for harder modules to come in second year. Personally though I did no work at all in first year and got away with it.

ReputationRep:
    like most people have already said, it depends on what degree you're doing and at what Uni. If you're doing a Law degree, then your first year marks aren't put towards your degree but when you come to practice you have to be a member of the law society and they do look at your first year marks as well as your final degree classification.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the people posting in topics in that group shouldn't even be at university.

If your attitude is going to be 'I don't give a damn', then what's the point in being there?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on course and uni (where I am I do only need to get 40%). However, I'd be willing to bet that generally the people who get the best overall degree results aren't the kind of people who have the '40%, **** it' attitude for the 1st year.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you've got a year in Industry or hope for a summer Internship it's not important. But remember, sometimes an employer will compare two employees by their uni grades, and potentially they could go back to first year marks.

ReputationRep:
    For me, it does matter.
    Maybe not so much about the course (also!), but generally because I need to improve my English.
    Being able to talk to Brits as a tourist doesn't help getting into Oxford.. I guess.. :unsure:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.