Turn on thread page Beta

I am about to apply for a work placement at various companies but I need to find one myself. How do I go about contacting companies with a covering letter to acquire my CV. I am not sure what to write and how to get a job in their company for a year placement.

Any ideas if possible?

ReputationRep:
    Well if you have already got your CV first of all tell them who you are and what you are studying explain to them as part of your course that you need a bit of relevant experience, then say that their firm has a brilliant reputation and that if you could have a chance of work experience there it would be invaluable (Flattery gets you everwhere) note that you enclose a copy of your CV and give them your contacts details for information regarding anything possibly available or any information or contacts they would believe useful. If they say yes and ask you for an interview do a lot of research and impress them with your knowledge of the company etc.Make sure it's very formal and not colloquial as they will think that you are not serious and always end your letter with thanks

(Original post by Danithestudent)
    Well if you have already got your CV first of all tell them who you are and what you are studying explain to them as part of your course that you need a bit of relevant experience, then say that their firm has a brilliant reputation and that if you could have a chance of work experience there it would be invaluable (Flattery gets you everwhere) note that you enclose a copy of your CV and give them your contacts details for information regarding anything possibly available or any information or contacts they would believe useful. If they say yes and ask you for an interview do a lot of research and impress them with your knowledge of the company etc.Make sure it's very formal and not colloquial as they will think that you are not serious and always end your letter with thanks
    What if it is schools I am targeting, does that mean your ideas won't be for them as you state that the firm has a brilliant reputation, what do you think I can say about schools?

working in a shop is good. i went to cafe creme for mine and they offered me a job after!

(Original post by *-mjg-*)
    working in a shop is good. i went to cafe creme for mine and they offered me a job after!
    It has to be a computing related job!

(Original post by The1)
    its a cybercafe! duh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The1)
    wot relevant experience have u got?

(Original post by Queen of hearts)
    wot relevant experience have u got?
    Not much, just work experience from my school which was two weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The1)
    Not much, just work experience from my school which was two weeks!
    well u need to identify wot bits of ur work experience a v relevant and spend alot of time empasising the benefits and then find sum otha things u did and make sum obscure links, doesnt mata wot u say as long as u can realistically make a link and back it up.

where did u do ur work experience?
    wot sort of people / age groups did u work with?
    was it individual work or workin as part of a team?
    wot responsibilities were u given?
    + say exactly wot skills these things reveal and ur off to a good start!

really bein able 2 bulls**t well is wots gona get u places - u just need to think in the right way: u kno wot u wana achieve and u kno wot u have so all u have to do is work out wot u have to do to get from A - B.

hope u get what u want

x

ReputationRep:
    I'm a foreign student who needs to find a work placement in Britain. Which web site is the best to find opportunities ? ***
    I really need your help ! Cheers

ReputationRep:
    HELP me to find a work placement in Britain

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.