Turn on thread page Beta

Self teaching mathematics watch

ReputationRep:
    Is this feasible?

what exam board would you recommend

and what are the ''easiest'' modules

please genuine help

thanks

edit: i know this sounds far fetched but I only have a C at GCSE maths as I only had the opportunity to do foundation level. but i feel once i get round to self teaching maths, and i will be a bit older, and having completed ASs i feel i'll be able to cope. has anyone else been in a similar situation and done such thing despite the low grade at GCSE..did you find a level better and not that hard?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people on here seem to have done it, I have done some, not a lot though
    I think generally AQA are quite clear and easy to follow, I am sure someone with better experience may know more however

D1 is considered easy, M1 and S1 aren't too bad either

good luck

ReputationRep:
    I would Hate for people to assume because i use this forum i'm automatically very ''smart''; i'm looking for responses from the 'average person'; as in not someone that is extremely able and intelligent and amazing at maths:tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Over 70% schools/colleges study Edexcel Mathematics... it's quite similar to AQA and OCR.

C1 C2 is pretty much GCSE A* material with some Calculus ie Intergration Differentiation. C3 and C4 requires a fair bit of study. Statistics 1 follows on from GCSE Statistics, although rather time consuming.... Mechanics 1 is quite easy and highly relevant if you take Physics.

Good luck, even with a C at GCSE, if you study hard you can emerge with a B! or an A if you really use the past question papers well

ReputationRep:
    Well if you got a C at GCSE I think self-teaching maths would be a bit tricky, I suggest reading through a few GCSE (higher) textbooks and taking some past papers to see how you find it.

If you feel comfortable with GCSE higher maths, then go for it. Though I would recommend getting a tutor if you can afford it, at least you have someone to help you with topics you struggle with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dynamic1)
    Over 70% schools/colleges study Edexcel Mathematics... it's quite similar to AQA and OCR.

C1 C2 is pretty much GCSE A* material with some Calculus ie Intergration Differentiation. C3 and C4 requires a fair bit of study. Statistics 1 follows on from GCSE Statistics, although rather time consuming.... Mechanics 1 is quite easy and highly relevant if you take Physics.

Good luck, even with a C at GCSE, if you study hard you can emerge with a B! or an A if you really use the past question papers well

like I said the C was done in a matter of mere months and I only had the oppertunintiy of doing foundation.
    I am only aiming for a B (obviously like I said you never know, i might excel at it:tongue: )

Do you think C1 C2 and D1 modules would be time consuming..are they acceptible modules and how hard are they?

I haven't looked into this too much so any info would help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    Well if you got a C at GCSE I think self-teaching maths would be a bit tricky, I suggest reading through a few GCSE (higher) textbooks and taking some past papers to see how you find it.

If you feel comfortable with GCSE higher maths, then go for it. Though I would recommend getting a tutor if you can afford it, at least you have someone to help you with topics you struggle with.

i believe in maturing = better understanding:tongue:
    I was only ..what 15 when I got that C..so When I self teach I feel I'll be able to cope and understand things better:yep:

surely it can't be that hard?

ReputationRep:
    It is possible and if you really put your mind to it, then you'll be able to do it.

I'd suggest taking the stats modules rather than the mechanics and C1 and C2 are pretty much the very hard questions on GCSE papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    Though I would recommend getting a tutor if you can afford it, at least you have someone to help you with topics you struggle with.
    This is good advice; sometimes you'll get stuck on a specific question or not be able to get your head round a certain topic, and a real person to help is handy.

Board-wise, I'd just take a look at a few of the textbooks, see which you like the look of most and do that board.

ReputationRep:
    choosing the board is going to be annoying

what board would people recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MGIL)
    Do you think C1 C2 and D1 modules would be time consuming..are they acceptible modules and how hard are they?
    C1 and C2 are the core modules for AS maths — you have to take them. They're fairly straightforward as long as you can get your head round calculus. D1 is very simple and doesn't seem to have much content, at least with OCR MEI. My further maths class has been doing each of the six chapters in a couple of lessons, so that hopefully wouldn't prove too time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    C1 D1 and C2 it is then
    I just hope I do well

I'm really aiming for a B and obviously it's going to be extremely difficult as I haven't been taught maths so I'm relying on a good textbook and possibly a tutor

I just really need to do well !
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MGIL)
    what board would people recommend?
    That's gonna be quite difficult since most people will only use one board for maths. I only have experience with edexcel, but nonetheless i'd still recommend it. I can't compare how difficult it is with other boards, but there are loads of books made for edexcel a-level maths.

Also a word of caution: From what i've heard D1 seems really easy, but the exam can be a pain sometimes. I'd say S1 and M1 are the same in difficulty, but S2 is much easier than M2 (and even S1).

ReputationRep:
    I'm self teaching myself Further Maths, and it's pretty doable tbh.

I advise using Edexcel, I find there Heinman modulus books to be very good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spongebob*No*Pants)

shouldn't that be their?

and you say you do eng lit:tongue:

ReputationRep:
    AQA are very straightforward and with good grade boundaries. Excellent for 'beginners'.

ReputationRep:
    The boards are all pretty much the same in terms of what you have to learn overall, it's just that between them some topics are switched between C1 and C2 e.g. on OCR MEI there is no calculus in C1.

I advise looking at all of D1 M1 and S1 before deciding which one to take - D1 is fairly easy but requires a different way of thinking to the other modules, M1 is also fairly easy but can be difficult until it "clicks" and I don't know much about S1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    From glancing at the specifications of AQA and OCR, i'd say none of them are more straightforward (or less straightforward) than each other.

OP: I'm not sure if AQA or OCR (or OCR MEI) have specific modular textbooks, but Edexcel do, and they explain things quite comprehensibly to all levels of mathematicians, and so make self-teaching the course not too difficult. In the pure modules, the boards don't differ very much at all; in the applied modules (D1, S1 etc.), they differ a little bit more, but again not too much, so the course content doesn't vary drastically between the boards. (Although sometimes topics are in different modules, eg. trig integration in C3 in AQA i think, whereas only in C4 for edexcel, and other subtle differences, and apparently a lack of calculus in C1 for OCR MEI, whereas very elementary calculus in C1 for Edexcel).
    I've found doing the OCR papers to be much more challenging than that of AQA's, and the boundaries are about the same for both, with AQA being generally much more straightforward (as in consistent with their questions).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spongebob*No*Pants)

I might be doing that next year, teaching myself FP1, NM and M1. Although our college has the option to go to another to study Further Maths, I thought that if I decide to teach it to myself, that it would look better on my university application, because if they see I can self-teach and get a high grade, it would certainly look good.

ReputationRep:
    Dont do Decision.. In my opinion. It seems easy but the questions are really wordy and easy to trip up on. One mistake can lose you loads of marks, (a grade sometimes). Also most marks are for the method and not the answer so you have to be really clear and miss nothing out. From what I've seen Stats would be best for you.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.