Painful Shin Watch

pixiepeep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi all I did something stupid yesterday. I fell down the last two stairs and twisted my ankle. Was initially very sore all across my ankle, but it hurt most along the top of my foot to my big toe, so I figured I'd just tweeked a tendon. Only hurt a little to put weight on, but I had to put most of it on the outside of my foot.

Whole ankle was very painful during the night, almost an electric shock pain through my ankle, mostly though the "boney bits" (wish I'd listened in biology!). Woke up without the pain, top of foot is very swollen and sore to the touch, ankle is a little swollen but nothing massive, and there's no obvious bruising.

I can almost walk on my foot normally, but if I push my foot upwards my whole shin hurts, right up to my knee. It feels like a pulled muscle, only a lot worse. I can't walk downstairs without limping.

I hate bothering doctors with something like this, but it's very very painful in my shin. I'm 99% sure my foot's not broken, mostly as there's no bruising and I can put most of my weight on it.

If it's still this sore in a few days I will take myself up to A&E to get it checked out. Any recommendations for what I can do to take the pain away? I've been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol, but it's not done a fat lot. I've tried keeping it elevated but it's done nothing for the swelling. Not got any bandages on as it seems pointless when I'm not doing much movement.

Thanks for any help
thecdon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by pixiepeep)
Hi all I did something stupid yesterday. I fell down the last two stairs and twisted my ankle. Was initially very sore all across my ankle, but it hurt most along the top of my foot to my big toe, so I figured I'd just tweeked a tendon. Only hurt a little to put weight on, but I had to put most of it on the outside of my foot.

Whole ankle was very painful during the night, almost an electric shock pain through my ankle, mostly though the "boney bits" (wish I'd listened in biology!). Woke up without the pain, top of foot is very swollen and sore to the touch, ankle is a little swollen but nothing massive, and there's no obvious bruising.

I can almost walk on my foot normally, but if I push my foot upwards my whole shin hurts, right up to my knee. It feels like a pulled muscle, only a lot worse. I can't walk downstairs without limping.

I hate bothering doctors with something like this, but it's very very painful in my shin. I'm 99% sure my foot's not broken, mostly as there's no bruising and I can put most of my weight on it.

If it's still this sore in a few days I will take myself up to A&E to get it checked out. Any recommendations for what I can do to take the pain away? I've been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol, but it's not done a fat lot. I've tried keeping it elevated but it's done nothing for the swelling. Not got any bandages on as it seems pointless when I'm not doing much movement.

Thanks for any help
the 14 ankle bones are the talus, calcaneus (heel bone), navicular, cuboid, internal cuneiform, middle cuneiform, and external cuneiform on each side.

the ankle can do plantar flexion and dorsi flexion.

sorry, just thought i'd throw that out there...
pixiepeep
Rep:
?
Bumping in case anyone has ideas
LadySmythe
Badges: 19
Report 9 years ago
Co-codamol and use a support
Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by pixiepeep)

Thanks for any help
Rest, ice it, elevation and pain killers.
As it was a couple of days ago, the GP would be the best place to get it looked at rather than going to A&E if you think it's necessary
pixiepeep
Rep:
?
It's not so much my ankle anymore. That's almost pain free now, but pretty much every step I take I get a really nasty pain in my shin, about a third of the way up. It's somewhere between a pressure pain and a pulling sensation. There's a huge bruise come up by my big toe, but the swelling is going down there. That hurts when there's any pressure on it, but not when I'm walking.

My shin's aching even when I'm not using it, and if I elevate it I'm getting pins and needles in my foot.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (166)
18.57%
No (543)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (185)
20.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed