Turn on thread page Beta

Student Cook Books watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

Could anyone suggest student cook books or survival guides that really helped them out?! Especially a recipe book that is really simple and the food is cheap to make.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Just use the internet, it's cheaper

ReputationRep:
    what Tam says - google cookingbynumbers if you're wanting to cook something using just the stuff in your cupboard, otherwise google student recipes and it'll come up with a load of sites of recipes that are simple to cook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle89)
    what Tam says - google cookingbynumbers if you're wanting to cook something using just the stuff in your cupboard, otherwise google student recipes and it'll come up with a load of sites of recipes that are simple to cook.
    Thanks but I prefer to actually have a book to flick through. It just makes it easier for planning meals etc

Epecially because when I go to uni I want to eat healthily

ReputationRep:
    To be honest though a cookery book limits you in many ways. IMVHO its much easier to click through a site and print off pages. You CAN get extremely healthy meals online too.

Just a suggestion
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My sister bought me this (an older version though) as a present http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nosh-Student...d_bxgy_b_img_c

I quite like it! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Delia's How To Cheat At Cooking - it's supposed to be good for low budjet and healthy cooking...?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

I'm gonna get something off amazon but I will bare in mind looking up recipes online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spasmos)
    Maybe Delia's How To Cheat At Cooking - it's supposed to be good for low budjet and healthy cooking...?
    Na, if anything its more expensive cos she tells you to use pre-prepared cheese etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle89)
    Na, if anything its more expensive cos she tells you to use pre-prepared cheese etc.
    Oh ok fair enough!!!

ReputationRep:
    The student cookbook. I like it. Meals are cheap and easy. Good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    There is this guy called Sam Stern who does recipe books for young people, try him out

Don't buy off Amazon. Go to a shop and look through some and pick one that has the best stuff in it. Some are really basic, like telling you how to make beans on toast for example so if you ended up with one of those it would be a total waste after week 1.

ReputationRep:
    Really, the internet is best. Student cookbooks either tend to be really patronising and teach you things like how to cook pasta, which is a waste of a page, or they teach you food that most students wouldn't be arsed making very often.

I have Nosh 4 Students. It's alright and has some good tips at the beginning about how long to keep food and how to cut costs, but it's mainly common sense. There's only about ten recipes in the whole book I'd even consider, and quite a few of them are difficult to make or just too time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    i am definitely going to buy one for uni

ReputationRep:
    I love the traditional student approach to cooking! It's led me down some interesting paths, and ended in some interesting trips to the bathroom.

However, just because you are a student doesn't mean you need to eat like one. The people in my house manage to eat really well - we make curries, roasts, **** knows how many pasta dishes... you just pick it up. 4 people in the house and the average food bill comes to around £80 per week, although just recently (due to everyone falling out...) we've been buying for ourselves. My girl and I eat together though, and a weekly shop comes to around £30.

Just get an ordinary recipe book. You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    My sister bought me this (an older version though) as a present http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nosh-Student...d_bxgy_b_img_c

I quite like it! :yep:
    I recommend this book too. We have quite a few student cook books in our house but we pretty much always come back to this one. Don't be put off by the bad photography of the food, once you get past that it's really good. There's a vagetarian one too for a bit more variety.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh Nosh 4 Students is the best student cook book that I've seen. You would actually EAT the meals that are in it (unlike the posh nosh that you would never go near that's found in most other cook books). The food in it is really down-to-earth.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the Nosh 4 student cook book is great (i've got the veggie one)

Beverly LeBlanc's student cook books are good too (again i've got the veggie one)

and one more, i recently brought: 4 Ingredients by Kim McCosker & Rachael Bermingham. Its Australian but the reciepes are simple and as the name suggests require 4 or less ingredients, meaning that you buy less, so its cheaper.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.