Turn on thread page Beta

BAD idea to apply to these medical schools? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So far, I've got:
    KCL
    UCL (or ICL but I'm leaning more to UCL for now)
    Barts
    St. George's (or another London uni)

I've heard that its a bad idea to apply to all London unis? But i really want to (and i need to stay in London - long story). Yes, im going to open days. I was just wondering, are my uni choices too ambitious - i dont want to end up with four rejections .

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be a bad idea? It's fine, if you're set on staying in London, you'll need to apply to London Schools :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Go for it, make sure you work to their wants as much as possible, but I fail to see how it should be a disadvantage.

Sorry to hear you have to stay in london, I can't ever be far enough away from the place.

ReputationRep:
    do you not get 5 choices anymore?

anyways, nothing wrong with all london choices at all

ReputationRep:
    oh dear, but everyone's telling me it's risky and a bad idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreadnaut)

You've never been allowed 5 choices for medicine iirc. Hasn't it always been a maximum of 4?

(Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Who? Your mum? Your teachers? Your mates down the pub? What do they know exactly?

ReputationRep:
    What are their reasons for telling you it's a risky and bad idea?

ReputationRep:

You havn't been allowed more than four for a fair few years I believe.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You could still end up with 4 straight rejections regardless of where you apply. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    You've never been allowed 5 choices for medicine iirc. Hasn't it always been a maximum of 4?

Who? Your mum? Your teachers? Your mates down the pub? What do they know exactly?
    some 2009 med applicants and teachers in charge of students applying to medicine/dentistry (my school is weird)

ReputationRep:
    some 2009 med applicants and teachers in charge of students applying to medicine/dentistry (my school is weird)
    School teachers generally know sweet **** all about medicine. Half of them say you "have" to take maths to get in, the other half expect you to go on medlink instead of work experience

And other kids applying to medicine are generally mongs, or at least they were in my school.

I assure you, there's nothing wrong with applying to only London Schools

ReputationRep:
    oh and i was going to apply to both ICL and UCL and they were like "woaaah, dont do that.", so then i didnt. lol. but two BMAT unis isnt reccommended is it?

ReputationRep:
    everywhere is risky.
    you can get 4 straight rejections WHEREVER you apply..

ReputationRep:
    oh and i was going to apply to both ICL and UCL and they were like "woaaah, dont do that.", so then i didnt. lol. but two BMAT unis isnt reccommended is it?
    Depends, do you think you'll do well? Neither of them rely on the BMAT as much as Oxford does, so even if you get a less than excellent score you could still get a place. I personally wouldn't apply to more than one BMAT uni, but that's cause my physics is rubbish, but you may feel differently.

ReputationRep:
    Loool, I have been told this by teachers too. Apparently, they want us to broaden our horizons lol...

ReputationRep:
    i dont no much about it... but i no some medicone courses are easier to get onto than others. If u really want an offer.. i would give your self a "back-up" choice... by that i mean one that is classed slightly "easier" to get onto.
    I no quite a few people with 4 rejections but they applied to 4 of the hardest ones to get into and now regret it because they have to gap year it and re-apply.
    im doing the same for vet-med.. and its not the end of the world.. think it will allow me to prepare better for uni, improve my confidence and earn some money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Depends, do you think you'll do well? Neither of them rely on the BMAT as much as Oxford does, so even if you get a less than excellent score you could still get a place. I personally wouldn't apply to more than one BMAT uni, but that's cause my physics is rubbish, but you may feel differently.
    tbh, i dont think i will i was looking at a BMAT practice question earlier and it took me agesss to work it out, then i looked at the answer - it was such an simple question. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    You havn't been allowed more than four for a fair few years I believe.
    my bad i was just thinking for all things generally

ReputationRep:
    my bad i was just thinking for all things generally
    Ah, sorry. You would be correct then, though I got to apply to six! (makes me feel special).

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar question about applying to London med schools, since thats where I am really keen to study - it says in the King's prospectus that graduate applicants can apply to both the GEP and Standard 5 Year programmes, but you should apply to GEP in the first instance as if you are rejected from that you may be considered for the 5 year anyway.

So is it worth using up 2 UCAS choices for one medical school or are you just as likely to get an offer from either programme if you apply just to the GEP??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 31, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.