Clinical Placements Watch

MiStYfire~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Heya Im not a medical student but wondered if anyone could answer this what is the clinical placement timetable like on a medicine degree? Do you have early, late and night shifts like on a nursing degree or are the placements more 9 - 5 hours?

Thanks
terpineol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
During which years, and at what medical school?

Its rather like asking how long is a horse race.
Hygeia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have moved this from the Med Students Society, as that is not the place to ask these sorts of questions.

Clinical placements will vary depending on which medical school and which year you are in.
For example, at my medical school I have 4 weeks of placement every 8 weeks. These placements are usually 9-5 though on occasion, you stay til 9pm and start at 7.30am though this depends what you're studying at the time.
In one of the later years, you have a placement of nights but there's never any particular 'shift' style placments apart from this.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
thats like asking how long is a piece of string i think- it depends a lot on when, where etc- i have some med friends who get to choose their own shifts, where as one med student i worked with had to do what their mentor did, as it does with nursing etc, also nurses can do 9-5 sometimes...you're a lucky ***** if you are lol
MiStYfire~
Rep:
?
Ok thanks
MiStYfire~
Rep:
?
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
thats like asking how long is a piece of string i think- it depends a lot on when, where etc- i have some med friends who get to choose their own shifts, where as one med student i worked with had to do what their mentor did, as it does with nursing etc, also nurses can do 9-5 sometimes...you're a lucky ***** if you are lol
lol yea I just wondered if medical students had a similar placement routine to nurses. Im actually thinking of applying to mental health nursing myself but 2 people I know have applied for medicine and said that they hope they don't have to do a lot of late shifts but I never knew medical students did lates as a rule.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MiStYfire~)
lol yea I just wondered if medical students had a similar placement routine to nurses. Im actually thinking of applying to mental health nursing myself but 2 people I know have applied for medicine and said that they hope they don't have to do a lot of late shifts but I never knew medical students did lates as a rule.
if you want to do mental health nursing

i'd SERIOUSLY suggest doing adult nursing- and see how your mental health nursing placements in the CFP year go, and whether you like it- its easier to go from adult- mental health, than mental health-adult, WHY i dont know, but its a general rule lol

nursing shifts aren't so bad you know, your being kept nice and busy...plus we're more protected via breaks etc than doctors, plus get paid for overtime
MiStYfire~
Rep:
?
if you want to do mental health nursing

i'd SERIOUSLY suggest doing adult nursing- and see how your mental health nursing placements in the CFP year go, and whether you like it- its easier to go from adult- mental health, than mental health-adult, WHY i dont know, but its a general rule lol

nursing shifts aren't so bad you know, your being kept nice and busy...plus we're more protected via breaks etc than doctors, plus get paid for overtime
Thats interesting you would think its easier to go from mental health to adult since adult is the more popular branch.

What is it like working in outpatients? Is that shift work or can you do 9 - 5? Its just Id never manage shift work in the long term Im rubbish at sleeping lol and need a very regular routine, they say night shift work is unhealthy too. Are most jobs in mental health working shifts? I know you have to make sacrifices but Im just weighing up the pro's and con's.

btw Ive been a nursing assistant for the last year on mental health wards (on the bank though) I usually do late shifts so have a good idea of what working on the wards would be like the qualified staff seem to spend most of their time in the office doing paperwork lol.
Im just wondering what other job options are out there and what hours they involve.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thats interesting you would think its easier to go from mental health to adult since adult is the more popular branch.

What is it like working in outpatients? Is that shift work or can you do 9 - 5? Its just Id never manage shift work in the long term Im rubbish at sleeping lol and need a very regular routine, they say night shift work is unhealthy too. Are most jobs in mental health working shifts? I know you have to make sacrifices but Im just weighing up the pro's and con's.
outpatients ain't toooo bad, not much clinical work though, and the only difference between the RN's (registered nurses) and health care assistants is they can do wound dressings, it is shift work yes- but kinda boring really.

i don't do shift work too..well i thought i didn't, you get a variety of shifts, either a week of earlies, week of lates and a week of 12hr shifts- the 12hr shifts are the best, you just do 3 a week and get the rest of the week off! in your second year you WILL get to do night shifts, to be frank- they're not too bad, they have got research to do with bad health, but its all about getting it right- eating well and sleeping properly and you'll be absoloutely fine

mental health is any shifts- depends where you are, you are on call aswell with MH.

Yeah its easier to go into mental health - it has a high drop out rate so always have spaces. MH isn't for everyone..and..many people have changed in my year

EDIT: nursing is crap loads of paperwork...so is medicine, you can't escape from that lol
MiStYfire~
Rep:
?
outpatients ain't toooo bad, not much clinical work though, and the only difference between the RN's (registered nurses) and health care assistants is they can do wound dressings, it is shift work yes- but kinda boring really.

i don't do shift work too..well i thought i didn't, you get a variety of shifts, either a week of earlies, week of lates and a week of 12hr shifts- the 12hr shifts are the best, you just do 3 a week and get the rest of the week off! in your second year you WILL get to do night shifts, to be frank- they're not too bad, they have got research to do with bad health, but its all about getting it right- eating well and sleeping properly and you'll be absoloutely fine

mental health is any shifts- depends where you are, you are on call aswell with MH.

Yeah its easier to go into mental health - it has a high drop out rate so always have spaces. MH isn't for everyone..and..many people have changed in my year

EDIT: nursing is crap loads of paperwork...so is medicine, you can't escape from that lol
ok thanks, yeh I guess the best way to get out of all the paper work is stay as a nurse assistant but Id love to learn about mental illness in depth.

Out of interest what made people drop out of MH? What is it they didn't like? I know you have to be very mentally tough though Im not last time a patient got violent and started shouting I nearly fainted lol its horrible but maybe you get used to it when you know how to deal with it.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ok thanks, yeh I guess the best way to get out of all the paper work is stay as a nurse assistant but Id love to learn about mental illness in depth.

Out of interest what made people drop out of MH? What is it they didn't like? I know you have to be very mentally tough though Im not last time a patient got violent and started shouting I nearly fainted lol its horrible but maybe you get used to it when you know how to deal with it.

Violence, deception- plus adult nursing as a lot more career progression etc, also a fair amount of it is mental health anyway- violence is a big issue, i got slapped by a patient today who was suffering from schizophrenia yet was in MAU, plus you can go into mental health post-registration aswell..

i guess they all thought it was more interesting than it is, plus they enjoyed the adult placements etc

adult nursing ftw! lol
MiStYfire~
Rep:
?
Violence, deception- plus adult nursing as a lot more career progression etc, also a fair amount of it is mental health anyway- violence is a big issue, i got slapped by a patient today who was suffering from schizophrenia yet was in MAU, plus you can go into mental health post-registration aswell..

i guess they all thought it was more interesting than it is, plus they enjoyed the adult placements etc

adult nursing ftw! lol
lol ok thanks, hm I dunno what to do I do enjoy working with psychiatric patients though it can be frustrating and scary and I don't think I could work with body fluids/putting tubes down throats etc like in adult nursing. Gees Im hopeless at making decisions thanks for your help though its appriciated
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol ok thanks, hm I dunno what to do I do enjoy working with psychiatric patients though it can be frustrating and scary and I don't think I could work with body fluids/putting tubes down throats etc like in adult nursing. Gees Im hopeless at making decisions thanks for your help though its appriciated

body fluids will happen in any area of nursing unfortunately..and tubes in many oriphices!!!

PM me if you have any questions, nursing is a very rewarding career
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"As a rule" I would say we don't. Generally you start whenever the team starts (usually 9 for medical firms, can be as early as 7 for surgical, but so far I've avoided that!) and stay until you feel like you can leave - can be mid-afternoon if it's a quiet day, or can be 9pm+ if you're on take etc. If you choose to do evenings/nights on call, you can, and it can be really useful, but generally in my experience we're not scheduled to do it on most placements. A few things like A&E may be different.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lthey hope they don't have to do a lot of late shifts
What do they plan on doing after they qualify?
Mushi_master
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not another damn nursing discussion. Keep that to the nursing section!
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends on the placement. My most relaxed time table has been 9am-5pm. The most hardcore in terms of minimum expectation was 7.30am-7pm.

For some placement we've had shifts (A&E for example), where we were either on early, late or night. Also, when your team are on take, you're expected to be around for part of it as it looks bad if you're on morning post-take ward round and you have no one to present.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It completely depends on the placement. Sometimes it can be 9-5 however this week I had an 8:30-7:30, 9-6 and a 7:30-9:30. So really does depend what you are doing. At BSMS the 3rd and 5th year involve more time in the hospital so this year the hours have been a bit better.
crazyhelicopter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It greatly depends on the student

But I'd suggest that if you can't do shift work medicine (or nursing) probably isn't for you because in the long run it is almost impossible to avoid shifts
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.69%
No (549)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise