Is there point doing a resit? Watch

DarkWarrior
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
If you have 2 As in your January module exams, would you resit?

I'm thinking of resiting, so I could collect as much UMS points as possible for the easier modules, and work towards that A*

But I heard that it shows on your UCAS form that you resat.

I got 88% in Maths C1 and 80% in Economics Unit 1.

Is there point doing a resit?
LadySmythe
Badges: 19
Report 9 years ago
Depends how bad, and how much you are willing to work for that A*

Also on what you plan to apply for and to what uni

Well done on your A's though
Rachhyyyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hmmm.. just think about the extra workload? if u want to re-sit.. try and re-sit with similar modules to reduce the revision so your new modules dont suffer.
KieranKelly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
no.
.x.--Lou--.x.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought you couldn't get an a* if you resat a module anyways?? So If your doing it for the a* IT might be a little pointless, if what I just said is true. If its not then I'd wait until you get some more module results and see if you need to resit an easier modules to boost up other harder modules.
jamesh_91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i am resitting d1 - 79 only one mark off an A although i will still get an A in maths

want all 90%'s for when i apply to camb
TomLeigh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I resat a Core 1 at 84% and Decision 1 at 80% because I knew they would be easy modules to bump my UMS for the MUCH harder modules of Core 3/4. I think it's wise you resit them too, after all it's only £15 or so
DarkWarrior
Rep:
?
(Original post by TomLeigh)
I resat a Core 1 at 84% and Decision 1 at 80% because I knew they would be easy modules to bump my UMS for the MUCH harder modules of Core 3/4. I think it's wise you resit them too, after all it's only £15 or so
The school pays for our resits, but does resits show on UCAS forms, so would unis like C'bridge be put off by resits?
JackMcMat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know that, for mathematics, Imperial will reject you if you resit, so it is worth check the uni's website.
angel_night
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DarkWarrior)
The school pays for our resits, but does resits show on UCAS forms, so would unis like C'bridge be put off by resits?
i don't think resits show up on ucas. but cambridge request that you fill in a seperate form (saq), which requires you to put down all examinations you have sat, including resits. i htink it depends on the subject as to if they are put off by resits, but i'm not sure!

Ruth xx
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't bother resitting until next year if you really need to.
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It depends really on what you want and also on your university.

I got an A in C2 but nonetheless my teacher wants me to resit so I can be more relaxed when it comes to M1 and M2. Similarly for chemistry, I no longer need it and couldn't care less about my AS module grades, though am going to resit so I can have a personal feeling of accomplishment even though I don't need it at all.
BJack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DarkWarrior)
I'm thinking of resiting, so I could collect as much UMS points as possible for the easier modules, and work towards that A*

[...]

Is there point doing a resit?
As far as working towards the A* is concerned, there's no point in resitting the papers — what matters is your performance at A2, not AS.
EmpMartinIV
Report 9 years ago
I was told that cambridge are put off by resits. As Ruth says, you have to fill out the SAQ, so they know all your module results. As there's no point trying to cheat them, I know someone who got asked to bring their module results to the interview.

My advice would be that unless you really need to, don't resit. It's more work, and as I said, Cambridge doesn't seem to like it so much. Although I didn't have to worry about the A*. I suppose if you need to resit to get an A*, then it's probably worth it. There's not much point in applying to Cambridge if you aren't going to get the grades.
lookingforlaura
Report 9 years ago
Hey, at cambridge do they look at the percentage according to ur raw score or UMS mark?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lookingforlaura)
Hey, at cambridge do they look at the percentage according to ur raw score or UMS mark?
They don't know your raw score, only UMS.
lookingforlaura
Report 9 years ago
awesome, thank you!
DarkWarrior
Rep:
?
(Original post by lookingforlaura)
awesome, thank you!
are you going to apply for cambridge as well?
It seems that Cambridge is more popular than Oxford, which one is easier to get into?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (71)
30.08%
No - I got the required grades (134)
56.78%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (31)
13.14%

Watched Threads