Turn on thread page Beta

Is the way a uni treats applicants an indication of the way they treat students? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is a question for current uni students or graduates: do you remember your uni being really friendly and helpful when you were an applicant/offer holder? How did the kind of communication (or lack of it!) you got from them compare to the treatment you got when you arrived?

I'm asking because I've noticed a bit of a difference between some of my choices and I'm wondering whether it should tell me anything! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, once a uni has your money, you just blur into the mix of thousands of other faces at university.

So, no.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to lie.... I was put off Durham after the 'snotty' response I received from them when I was looking at Universities.

ReputationRep:
    I have visited two different universities and one seemed a lot friendlier than the other in general - and the atmosphere was better. It was a similar sort of feeling to when I went to visit my middle school and loved it the first time I was in it and I did love being there for 4 years so maybe it is a good indication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdom0n)
    I'm not going to lie.... I was put off Durham after the 'snotty' response I received from them when I was looking at Universities.
    what response was that? did they take months to reply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    I have visited two different universities and one seemed a lot friendlier than the other in general - and the atmosphere was better. It was a similar sort of feeling to when I went to visit my middle school and loved it the first time I was in it and I did love being there for 4 years so maybe it is a good indication.

Slightly off topic here but what the hell is middle school?! I'm curious!

ReputationRep:
    The admin/student support staff were friendly and helpful when I applied/spammed them with queries before arrival.

They remain friendly and helpful now.

And no, I'm not being paid to say that. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Like Citizen said - you're dealing with the admin staff. The faculty might be an entirely different kettle of fish or not.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone who's replied, this is really interesting!

ReputationRep:
    regardless of how much brown nosing they do to prospective applicants they sure as hell dont treat me well.......well not that im treated badly but the whole set up is, as has been said, very faceless, very impersonal, and at times a bit of a mickey mouse operation

ReputationRep:
    So if a university seems kind of unfriendly and unhelpful, it definitely shouldn't be expected that things would be better as a student there?

ReputationRep:
    Out of my five I'd say Leicester were lovely, they gave me so much information about the course, I can see why they do so well in student satisfaction.
    The other four were pretty normal in terms of reponses I guess, you know, what I need, stuff I knew etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muz1)
    The school in between primary and upper school? My area has a three tier system where you can do A Levels at your upper school - I know it's not really like this anywhere else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muz1)
    This:

(Original post by polka_dott)
    The school in between primary and upper school
    i.e.:

0-3 = Primary
    4-6 = Middle
    7-11 = High
    12-13 = Sixth form

(well, this is my personal experience)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's that related - the admin staff at Durham's English department are absolute dragons who apparently hate students, but I dont' have to deal with them too much.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's that related - the admin staff at Durham's English department are absolute dragons who apparently hate students, but I don't have to deal with them too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abdom0n)
    Shame as they don't treat their students like that. Generally speaking there's great personal support (college and university level).

I admit first impressions are important and, unfortunately, the admin and secreterial staff at a few of the departments aren't on the ball (and the university admin aren't either). But probably no worse than many other unis.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial ignored me throughout the entire application process, they didn't even contact me after the offer appeared on UCAS.

Now that I'm here, it's pretty much the same tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Surely some universities have thought of this topic... Warwick was kind enough to send Christmas greetings and also few emails of "please wait patiently" ...which certainly never worked on most applicants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asif Chowdhury (C.C))
    Surely some universities have thought of this topic... Warwick was kind enough to send Christmas greetings and also few emails of "please wait patiently" ...which certainly never worked on most applicants
    haha I remember Warwick sending me an xmas card as well. Definately applying for post-grad there purely for that reason.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.