READ THIS if you have had 4 medicine rejections Watch

Poll: What will you be doing if you get 4 medicine rejections?
Re-Apply to medicine (96)
80.67%
Settle for 5th option (12)
10.08%
Pick an alternative course through clearance (6)
5.04%
Not bother again (5)
4.2%
Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So you have 4 rejections? Don't worry, you're not alone! (and it doesn't mean you wouldn't make a good doctor)

The first thing you need to decide is if you still want to do medicine at all. If not, then you need to think about what you'd like to do instead. If you're not sure – think about why. Maybe arrange some extra work experience to find out if it's something you're still interested in. If yes, then read on!

Make sure you get some feedback from the universities. Where you rejected before or after interview? If you were rejected without interview, then the important thing to start with is to look at how you are on paper – did you apply to universities where you met all the academic requirements? (This is a common reason for rejection and is an easy place to start when choosing where to apply.) If your rejections were after interview, then consider working on your interview technique.

Other things to look at are your UKCAT/BMAT scores and your personal statement. If you didn't before, consider getting the PS Help team to have a look through your personal statement before applying again. UKCAT is harder to improve your score on but there are lots of questions you can practise here.

Don't forget to work hard on getting the grades!

There are a couple of options for you:
-Gap year and reapply – this is a popular option and there are a lot of people who get into medical school as a reapplicant. One of the advantages to this is that you have your A level exam results already as you're applying where a lot of the applicants only have predicted grades. For ideas of what to do during a gap year, have a look at this article.
-Do a different degree and apply as a graduate – while this is a good option for some, it does have its disadvantages. You'd need to get at least a 2:i in order to apply as a graduate and that isn't as easy as some people make out, especially if it's not in a subject you're interested in or passionate about. Financially it's difficult as well – while you can get loans easily for a first degree, you wouldn't be eligible for the medicine degree afterwards and by the time you graduate from the first degree, fees may have risen a long way. Grad-entry courses are also very competitive.

If you don't get the grades in August:
What to do if you don't get into medical school - This article gives some good information about your options.

Can't be bothered to read all that... (summarised nicely by HiBear)
(Original post by HiBear)
a) improve your application/take a gap/reapply
b) do another degree and apply graduate
c) do something else.

Any new threads on this topic will be merged with this one.
anna_spanner89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
omg thats so useful- my friend just got her 4th rejection, so im gonna show her this!
Chunkeymonkey62
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
WOW. I havnen't even applied this year but that is very nice of you!!!!!
HiBear
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
so what kate is trying to say is:
a) improve your application/take a gap/reapply
b) do another degree and apply graduate
c) do something else.

option A is the best imo, if you really want to do medicine, a gap year isn't bad it could be the best year of your life.
Mwoah
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Kind of common sense.
HiBear
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mwoah)
Kind of common sense.
read some of the other threads in the forum...... you'll see why this thread is up.
canopiesandgrapes
Report 9 years ago
I've had four rejections now.
I have an offer for Medical Genetics at sheffield though. Is it possible to accept this, and then decline on results day if I got AAB/AAA so I could reapply for medicine? Also, is it possible to defer that offer, even if I have to apply everywhere else again? Or would I have to apply for that as my insurance again?
pianofingers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by canopiesandgrapes)
I have an offer for Medical Genetics at sheffield though. Is it possible to accept this, and then decline on results day if I got AAB/AAA so I could reapply for medicine? Also, is it possible to defer that offer, even if I have to apply everywhere else again? Or would I have to apply for that as my insurance again?
Sorry to hear you've had four rejections! It's very, very common, and at my school only three out of about twenty-five actually held an offer for medicine!

If you defer your medical genetics offer, you will have accepted that as your place, albeit for next year, and you will not be able to make another application whilst holding that place. I wouldn't recommend this.

If you do get AAB/AAA I highly, highly recommend taking a year out and reapplying. It is far, far easier than to apply to a graduate-entry programme. If you choose to accept your Sheffield offer but get AAA/AAB at A-level in the Summer you can withdraw your entire UCAS application and reapply for 2010 entry.
Hygeia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Even if you decline the offer you have now, last year there were quite a lot of places for medical genetics available in clearing (including at Sheffield) so you wouldn't necessarily be without somewhere to go should you not get the AAB/AAA.

I don't recommend deferring as someone's already said, it wouldn't allow you to apply again.
ozd
Report 9 years ago
find out were you near the cut off for an offer at any of the 4 unis. if you did well at interview you might well be. if you are then they might consider you post firm/insurance deadlines, and maybe even later in august. a deceptive number of people get in this way.
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I had a Med Gen offer at Sheff and declined it on results to apply for Medicine! Yes, you can accept and then decline on results day. You can't hang on to it and reapply, but you could ring them and explain that you will be reapplying and put them as your 5th again. They may offer you a place again, especially if you explain to them beforehand what you're doing. I think they realise that the course is very suitable for a 5th choice on a medical application.
canopiesandgrapes
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ozd)
find out were you near the cut off for an offer at any of the 4 unis. if you did well at interview you might well be. if you are then they might consider you post firm/insurance deadlines, and maybe even later in august. a deceptive number of people get in this way.
i didn't realise that was possible. i was on hold before being rejected by manchester.
cookiemonster1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if i get AAB in summer is there any point to reapply for medicine ? cus most people will have AAA and most unis are bringing their grade requirements up to AAA (e.g ucl)
Snoodle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey everyone!

I know I am not in this situation alone (I hope not ) but I have got my 4 rejections a couple of weeks back now!

In all honesty it was depressing! Now I am over it and focusing on my upcoming exams (well trying to!)

I have a vague idea of what I am hoping to do next year, but what will you guys (in a situation like mine) be doing?

For me it'll be focusing on getting the grades (4A's), and once I do I'll be having the best year of my life. I am planning on:
  • Playing more rugby and try and get into a senior team / county trials
  • Getting a Job in the hospital
  • More volunteering + work experience
  • Volunteer abroad
  • Prepare for BMAT/UKCAT to get as high scores as I can since I feel it was the reason I was so let down.
  • Reapply to medicine into much better places!
But are people out there going to do a similar thing or not?
Cynical Optimist
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sorry, clicked the wrong one!! I meant: reapply next year - I'm in the same situation for dentistry! Lot's of work experience and stuff...
HiBear
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
reapply.
best thing you can do if you are really really set on becoming a doc.
pianofingers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you get at least AABB (but try for AAAB!) definitely reapply next year!! From the sounds of your plan you'll stand in good stead for next year.

Contact the medical schools that you applied to and ask them for feedback as it may be useful for your next application.

Good luck!
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Reapply, assuming I've got AAB or above.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Without a doubt:

1) get good A2s, AAA+ if poss
2) gap year, gap year, gap year - no question
magpie19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just got my fourth and final rejection from liverpool by post today!... is anyone in the same boat as me...and if soo wat are your plans.... i have no backup offer... soo it looks like i'll be going through ucas extra picking out the leftover courses!!!

greattt

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed