Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice for medicine.I am studying Bio,Chem,Phy,Maths,History at AS. Between Brasenose, Christ Church, New and Magdalen which college is the ''best'' if I was defining by ''best'' college on;

1. Accomodation (largest available!!)
    2.Prestige for medicine/science
    3. A medium or large undergraduate body
    4.Facilities avialable (not too bothered about music, more just general facilities)
    5. Large sciencey/medical undergrad. numbers

Many Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Reading the prospectus/website will give you the majority of those answers!
    Start practising those literature search/evidence based skills. :p:

1) When you say largest - do you mean number of students accommodated/years guaranteed or biggest rooms? Former it should definitely say, short of commissioning a study good luck finding a consensus about the latter anywhere...
    3) & 5) Pretty sure I've seen tables of those
    4) Normally in a prose description section

Or just apply to Magdalen or New because I say they are better.

ReputationRep:
    I heard Magdalen freshers have to share rooms in there first year...so don't apply there if you want your own room! That might be an untrue rumour though...I expect the website will say more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenii)
    I heard Magdalen freshers have to share rooms in there first year...so don't apply there if you want your own room! That might be an untrue rumour though...I expect the website will say more.
    It's far worse than that actually. Magdalen freshers are packed into tiny rooms with bunks stacked 3 high and are supervised until 10pm every night to make sure they work hard enough. There's also only one shower between 25 people.

On a more accurate note, no one at Magdalen shares a room.

ReputationRep:
    ^however, christ church only supply sleeping bags and tarpaulin.

ReputationRep:
    Next year the Warden is imposing ankle GPS trackers for all Merton students, and scholarships will now be paid proportional to the amount of time spent working in libraries.
    More seriously, look around the colleges, go on their websites, see which one(s) you like. The teaching will be pretty standard across colleges for Medicine - it's not as if, say, St. Peter's produces unqualified doctors!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic1234567890)
    I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice for medicine.... which college is the ''best'' if I was defining by ''best'' college on;

3. A medium or large undergraduate body
    Actually, the medical tutors at most colleges expect you to find your own body, well in advance of dissection classes. There is normally a meeting in 0th week in which shovels and dark-lanterns are issued, and teams are sorted for 2 a.m. "visits" to graveyards. Culling one's fellow undergraduates (even small ones) is looked down upon: (a) it's cheating; (b) parents occasionally notice and sometimes complain; (c) it shows insufficient commitment to the higher ideals and traditions of Oxford medicine. Except at St Burke's; watch your back on nights of the new moon at the beginning of term, oh yes indeedy.

DtS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heliotrope)
    ^however, christ church only supply sleeping bags and tarpaulin.
    Lol, yeah. They make us sleep in the meadow with the cows...

Actually, the rooms at all colleges are nice, but you pay differently. ChCh doesn't band rooms, so they're all the same price and randomly allocated in your first year. I know BNC bands rooms, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Shaun

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.