Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was considering applying for an art foundation, I'm not sure where yet but am looking mainly at London-based Universitys.
    My main interest is photography (I am currently doing AS level photography), but when applying for a general foundation course would I have to show that I have an ability in other fields of art, not just photography?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah_The_Moose)
    I was considering applying for an art foundation, I'm not sure where yet but am looking mainly at London-based Universitys.
    My main interest is photography (I am currently doing AS level photography), but when applying for a general foundation course would I have to show that I have an ability in other fields of art, not just photography?
    When I was applying I made it essential that I had every kind of media made available to me so I had: photography, textiles (garment), fine art - mixed media, life drawing, still life, collage, acrylic paintings (don't do oils), some photoshop work including some work experience I did. The more the better but obviously don't put a sculpture in if you don't know how to sculpt. Above all since your doing photography make sure you pick your best and perhaps limit yourself to 4 A1 sheets with 4 images per sheet so that you don't seem to be a one trick pony. BTW I would suggest you do your own project out of school on anything that interests you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow ok, it sounds like I have a lot of work to do. Since I dropped Art at GCSE and started Photography at AS I haven't done much else apart from photography..

I'm not sure how I would go about creating pieces in other medias as I don't have access to the school's art supplies, only the photography supplies.

ReputationRep:
    getas much of a range of media in ur porfolio, try to take some summer courses at the College of Art and Design unis in London, that will definately help a lot. Bare in mind the London Universitys are very hard to get into due to high demand, make sure you apply to others such as the University for the Creative Arts (which is in Rochester, Maidstone, Canterbury and Farnharm) which is a good uni, i attended for my foundation. These are all very close to london too which helps. Have a route around and see where else does the foundation. And GOOD LUCK xxx

ReputationRep:
    When I applied to my foundation course most of my work was photography based. I had final images, visual sketchbooks, an essay etc. Included in my sketchbooks I had drawings of ideas; mock ups of how I saw a final photograph to be. I also had a few film and animation pieces to show them which they really liked.

Definitely show a range of work, but I found that it was the sketchbooks and ideas you could talk about that they were most interested in. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Not doing AS or A level Art gives you a kinda odd advantage because any work that you will do at home, will be quite unique. The disadvantage is that you won't have as much work to put in, so as said above, do work on some home projects which vary in medium. I do think the more you try out, the better it will get and the more work you have to choose from. Furthermore you will look dedicated about art and design.

I think the two things which worked well for me, was firstly, to keep one notebook of ideas, thoughts, experiments with drawing. It was completely random but showing that I recorded all of this and kept it up really showed dedication. It surprisingly influenced a lot of my art work and helped me get down my ideas. From my experience of the interviews I had, not everyone had something like this, and I think extra differences like this helps a bit.

Secondly, the other thing which worked for me was to go to out to lot of events, museums, exhibitions and workshops (such as the V&A museum, design shows, degree shows, design museum etc) and record this by taking photos and also taking notes in the notebook I took with me. I showed the photos in my portfolio (it took one page up in my portfolio! which is always good ) and it was great because it became a talking point at interview, almost like a prompt, to tell them about what I've been up to. Another great thing about going to all these events is, you will learn a surprising amount from it. It will influence your work, and most importantly, you will be able to speak confidently about your influences, your work and what you like. Hope everything goes well

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.