Planning to go to lancaster Watch

likeli3000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Narrowed accomodation down to cartmel,bowland and lonsdale i am wondering which one is the most friendly outgoing/partying college but i heard lonsdale and bowland were chavy areas is this true? Also how far is lonsdale from the physics building by walking? Are there any tennis courts on campus if so where?
Should i go for ensuite or shared, is shared for single sex or unisex, is the shared ever really that busy and is it not that much of a big deal?
jstar357
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Chavy? i'm sure you wouldn't get chavy people at Lancaster . Be careful to what you listen to.
ensuite/shared is personal preference really
randomistloz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's a point... when do we apply for accommodation, haven't really thought about it :s
ninety_nine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've got two mates at Lancaster, one at Bowland, the other at Lonsdale. Speaking for just those two, I found Lonsdale far more sociable and they seemed to have great parties fairly occasionally as well!
xprincessx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lonsdale is about 94327597348 miles from the physics building. Approximately. :P Ermm they're opposite sides of campus really so about 15 mins walk I'd say.
There's tennis courts just as you come in/out of campus from the main road.
You can put a preference for single sex for your accomodation (whether en-suite or shared) but I don't know if you're guarenteed it or not...
Dooze
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm not in ever or do I Physics (so basically discount my opinion). Lonsdale is yonks away from everything though as well as Cartmel and Bowland seems...gash. I'd say apply to Furness or County (the latter cos I am there) but Furness has the best bar on campus. But yeah, Bowland is in the middle of everything but seems gash, the others are a bit of a trek.
Lizj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by randomistloz)
That's a point... when do we apply for accommodation, haven't really thought about it :s
You usually get to choose your college in June, if Lancaster is your Firm choice you actually get allocated a college in August after results day.
You can choose two colleges that you would like to be in, and the kind of accommodation you want (en suite or standard, sngle or mixed sex, smoking or not) But be aware there is no guarantee that you will get into either of them. You could end up somewhere completely different.
To the person choosing between Cartmel, Lonsdale or Bowland. I am in Cartmel. It suits people who don't mind walking onto campus and back every day, (I do it three or four times most days) and who like a fairly quiet daytime atmosphere. Rooms and kitchens are good, and it is sociable without being too wild, although we do have our moments.
Lonsdale has the rep of being Chavvy mainly because they have a noisy crowded bar, they like to party, and their hoodies have "Lonsdale" on them, like the chavs wear!
likeli3000
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
also for the accomo i stated what are the laundry facilities like around that area
xprincessx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think there's a laundrette in cartmel, lonsdale might share that one, not sure
there's one in county which I think bowland shares
Never used either of those laundrettes though so I don't know how reliable they are or anything....
*banana
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bowland doesn't have a laundrette, it shares with County. They're always breaking down, and considering the number of people needing to use them ,there aren't nearly enough. Don't know about the others though.

My advice would be to decide what accommodation what want... for example, if you want standard then pick Bowland! The advantage of en-suite is you have your own bathroom... you do have to clean it though which some people don't like. Standard is much cheaper. I think you only have shared accommodation in County and as far as I know, people normally don't like it...
minimo156
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's a decent one in cartmel, 20 seconds away from my flat :grin:
AmyF.Law
Report 9 years ago
I'm coming to Lancaster Uni in Oct yippee! I know that i could never share a bathroom with 5-8 people eek. I think Fydle looks like a cool college but only just checking colleges out! A lot of the colleges seem into sports, any of them that aren't that into sports??
Thanks in advance 4 you replies!
*banana
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, Fylde is known as the "sporty" college... and all the colleges have sports stuff going on. However, it doesn't matter if you aren't sporty - just because the college has sports teams doesn't mean you have to be in them I wouldn't worry about it too much!
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bowland's nice and in the middele, and main is smack bang next to the physics building! I've never had a problem with being crowded in shared accommodation.... I've only ever once seen all the showers filled. Okay,t he kitchen in main got a bit crowded sometimes, but I think that that was pretty unusual... nine of the ten of us were pretty decent cooks, so cooked proper meals. haven't had that problem at all this year, despite sharing wiht almost twice as many people.
Lonsdale has a nice bar, but it is out of the way, and you will get wet an awful lot. Anyone living on south west campus gets wet an awful lot.
Laundrettes... bowland main is pretty much between county south and Furness, and Ash house and Annexe are between county south and county main laundrettes, so its not like theres any further to go than anyone else. County south is a bit grotty- the landrette, not the building. COunty main is all shiney and new though.
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AmyF.Law)
I'm coming to Lancaster Uni in Oct yippee! I know that i could never share a bathroom with 5-8 people eek. I think Fydle looks like a cool college but only just checking colleges out! A lot of the colleges seem into sports, any of them that aren't that into sports??
Thanks in advance 4 you replies!
All the colleges have some people who are keen on sports and some who are not. But from what I've seen, Furness doesn't seem to be a "sporty college".
AmyF.Law
Report 9 years ago
Thanks to all those that replied! I've been looking some more at county because it's close to the law school and i'm gonna be doing law in september!

Thanks again dudes!!!! :-)
*banana
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AmyF.Law)
Thanks to all those that replied! I've been looking some more at county because it's close to the law school and i'm gonna be doing law in september!

Thanks again dudes!!!! :-)
County's the best And, I'm not sporty at all :p:
PaddyD
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What is the John Creed accommodation like? The reason I like that is its County but has en-suite and the kitchen is 4-7 people.
*banana
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PaddyD)
What is the John Creed accommodation like? The reason I like that is its County but has en-suite and the kitchen is 4-7 people.
I've never been in it, but everyone says it's fairly old and not that nice. I think it's the oldest en-suite on campus. Also, there are quite a few double rooms in there.

County South is much better - only been lived in for 3 years, 8 to a kitchen, en-suite.

However, I don't think you can pick a specific building you want be in - you just pick a college, and then tick the en-suite box aswell...
Lizj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PaddyD)
From what I have seen of John Creed the rooms are a very good size, but it is looking a little bit old and tatty now, and the kitchens are not the biggest or best on campus.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (206)
18.61%
No (673)
60.79%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.6%

Watched Threads