Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You're no doubt thinking: "what the hell is this about?" If that is the case then fear not. I am not crazy. Let us fix this.

The argument for it being a 'jelly' lies in the assumption that History requires confines. That the past is not as flexible as a 'juice' - a liquid - is. But then, one argument against this is that the past is not a 'jelly' at all. 'Jelly' entails fragmentation and weakness. The past - in all effect - cannot be broken up into separate 'jellies' if you follow me.

Then comes the issue of the past-history distinction (or the history-History distinction). The past (history with a small 'h') - or the actual - I believe is immovable. It is not so much a 'jelly' as a solid 'rule' (or - quite aptly - a timeline). Then, history (or History with a capital 'H') lies in interpretation and the constant shift of opinion on the matter. History I believe is a 'juice'. A totally loose - indeed weak - conflict, and displacement, of opinion. Just as water particles displace each other, interpretation does.

But then, interpretation requires a starting point. A time in history the historian pinpoints to begin a study. What this then entails is potentiality instead of actuality. Indeed, interpretation may not be totally reflective of the actual at all. It's pretty much all done on potentials and conjecture. Now, if there is potential then there is room for alternative (this issue leads me to believe counterfactual history most definitely has a place in profound historical study still). If there is room for alternative then what we have is not a 'jelly' or a 'juice' but instead a four-dimensional forcefield of some sort.

So, all in all, it comes down to your interpretation. I ask: what is yours?

ReputationRep:
    Juice.

Interpretations of text and discourses change as society changes, History is no different.

ReputationRep:
    NB, much as I enjoy your historiographical ramblings, is there any chance you can start a thread entitled something like "What is History?- NB's Big Historiographical Debate", so all these kind of discussions are in the same place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    You're no doubt thinking: "what the hell is this about?" If that is the case then fear not. I am not crazy.

Let us begin by addressing these two issues. Now, does the past require confines by which it works in - a 'jelly' - or is it a totally flexible liquid - a 'juice'? Do events displace each other as water particles do? Of course, one essential point to give reference to is the past-history distinction. One could easily argue that the past is fixed. It is an issue of actuality and potentiality. Where the 'jelly'-like past cannot be shifted (it always lapses to a constant state), the 'juice' of historiography is ever-present. Interpretation is perpetually changing (the philosopher Heraclitus' analogy - "you cannot step into the same river twice" - is very apt here). Indeed, we might take the view that counterfactuals and alternatives rule out History (or indeed the past) being any of these. Maybe it is four-dimensional (actuality and potentiality). Where there is room for alternatives then maybe the flexibility of the 'juice' takes on a totally different meaning.

What do you think?

(p.s. I'm slightly intoxicated so sorry for any poor syntax and lack of clarity - will fix tomorrow)
    :eek: You amaze me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davireland)
    NB, much as I enjoy your historiographical ramblings, is there any chance you can start a thread entitled something like "What is History?- NB's Big Historiographical Debate", so all these kind of discussions are in the same place.
    That would take effort. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lella_m)
    :eek: You amaze me.
    Lol. Well that's good. :confused: I s'pose.

In what manner do I amaze you?

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Well that's good. :confused: I s'pose.

In what manner do I amaze you?
    your general postings :p:

ReputationRep:
    You're no doubt thinking: "what the hell is this about?" If that is the case then fear not. I am not crazy.

Let us begin by addressing these two issues. Now, does the past require confines by which it works in - a 'jelly' - or is it a totally flexible liquid - a 'juice'? Do events displace each other as water particles do? Of course, one essential point to give reference to is the past-history distinction. One could easily argue that the past is fixed. It is an issue of actuality and potentiality. Where the 'jelly'-like past cannot be shifted (it always lapses to a constant state), the 'juice' of historiography is ever-present. Interpretation is perpetually changing (the philosopher Heraclitus' analogy - "you cannot step into the same river twice" - is very apt here). Indeed, we might take the view that counterfactuals and alternatives rule out History (or indeed the past) being any of these. Maybe it is four-dimensional (actuality and potentiality). Where there is room for alternatives then maybe the flexibility of the 'juice' takes on a totally different meaning.

What do you think?

(p.s. I'm slightly intoxicated so sorry for any poor syntax and lack of clarity - will fix tomorrow)
    Objectively speaking it is a jelly. Subjectively speaking however, which is the situation here, it is a juice. But this juice is condensed and churned to make it gradually tend towards the jelly.

ReputationRep:

What do you think?

As interesting as this seems (and that is meant in all sincerity), I could make neither head nor tail of it. Perhaps I'll have to wait for the revised version tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Without bothering to read the OP, I say jelly! :yes:
    *imagines History's great figures/buildings/event carved in Jelly* :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    A jelly which is made from juice imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lella_m)
    your general postings :p:
    Good or bad?

Fixed

ReputationRep:
    It's quite clearly neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    It's quite clearly neither.
    They're analogous.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, okay

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 20, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.