Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else definitely going?

ReputationRep:
    If I pass exams I will be a medic next year woop

ReputationRep:
    Yay new Deen medics!

I wanna know what your course is like! None of us have a clue what you guys will be doing :tongue:

Bagsy Chiko as my son

ReputationRep:
    Prof Hutchison was having a rant yesterday about how the Orthopods hate the new course! Basically instead of teaching 'normal' anatomy and physiology in first year then going onto diseases... they are teaching it in a systems basis. So they are taught anatomy, normal physiology and the diseases of that system in blocks.

But yeah the orthopods ain't happy cos it means they have to all their teaching in 6 weeks at the end of 2nd year... and they are scratching their heads as to how to find enough staff to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Haha... I'm so glad my year escape with the old course - I wouldn't wanna be a guinea pig!

Does this mean first years on wards??? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I think they might still get the introductory basic science course.... but even still I hope not tbh. Unless they keep totally up to date will be a waste of time. I still find myself feeling utterly useless on wards cos I know nothing.. and I have been here for 18 months :eek: If only anatomy was easy to remember from first year alongside trying to learn new things.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I think september will be an anatomy catch up sesh! I can't remember stuff we learnt at the start of Sys2, so how you remember anything a year later is commendable...

ReputationRep:
    If I get an offer and if I make the grades I will be in Aberdeen next year! These are very big "ifs" though; I think I would vomit with excitement if I got an offer! Becca, I'm from Norfolk - how do you make the trip home? There's a fast train to Peterborough which is 6.5 hours, I reckon besides planes that would be the best option for me if a little pricey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    so how you remember anything a year later is commendable...
    To answer this.... I don't :p: I remember in a mock OSCE I was asked about performing a valve replacement through the radial artery and was asked where the coronary arteries arose from. I was just like wuutttt... I said aorta then I think I got aortic sinus after 10 seconds of head scratching later. Still I thought it was just going to be a pulse examination

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly^2)
    If I get an offer and if I make the grades I will be in Aberdeen next year! These are very big "ifs" though; I think I would vomit with excitement if I got an offer! Becca, I'm from Norfolk - how do you make the trip home? There's a fast train to Peterborough which is 6.5 hours, I reckon besides planes that would be the best option for me if a little pricey.
    One of my friends on the course is from Norfolk! Us East Coast people are lucky - direct train, and often you can get the fast ones, so I can get home in around 7 1/2 hours (The direct fast line doesn't go quite so close to home as I would like).

In terms of cost:
    I have a train ticket booked to come to Deen for the start of 3rd term that cost me £11.55 (from Newark).
    I'm flying home this weekend and it's costing £27.99 (to Birmingham) one way.

So long as you book this stuff in advance its pretty cheap!

I've been home twice this term (once for Valentines and once for my brother's birthday), so weekends home are possible, although when I did it by train I skived the Monday so it wasn't so rushed.

I got my parents to drive me up for Move-In Weekend - stopped overnight at Durham and I think the driving itself took about 8 or 9 hours.

There are also MegaBuses that are incredibly cheap - £1 to Manchester! But obv takes hours and hours... The Scottish seem to love them though.

ReputationRep:
    There are also MegaBuses that are incredibly cheap - £1 to Manchester! But obv takes hours and hours... The Scottish seem to love them though.
    Why travel fast when you can travel cheap? :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keeno89)
    Why travel fast when you can travel cheap? :yep:
    Hmmm. I'll stick to the relative luxury of the east coast main line.

Btw, Kelly, if you book far enough in advance it sort of works out cheap enough to justify going first class! Apparently. I have yet to try this. Although seeing as I catch a cold everytime I travel, I may have to research this...

ReputationRep:
    Haha, first class - cushty!
    Thanks for the info Becca, heres hoping I get a place and we can be train buddies :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I have gotten an unconditional for Aberdeen and also for St Andrews b ut I'm unsure of where to go!! any pros and cons you want to tell me?

and its a bit crappy asking this when our course will be different to yours it seems!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolicampbell)
    I have gotten an unconditional for Aberdeen and also for St Andrews b ut I'm unsure of where to go!! any pros and cons you want to tell me?

and its a bit crappy asking this when our course will be different to yours it seems!
    That's what the prospectus is for no...? I would hope they told you what it will be like! Best I know was my post earlier about how they are just doing it systems based for first 2 years covering normal and abnormal together.

ReputationRep:
    well yeah i know the basics, I was just hoping for more insight from people who are actually experiencing it =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolicampbell)
    well yeah i know the basics, I was just hoping for more insight from people who are actually experiencing it =)
    Just take a day off school and come here and visit! No one cares if you sit in a lecture etc. You can maybe go to the ref and see what it's like, what library is like etc. Although course is being changed the content won't change much, just the structure, so we can show you our notes/ learning guides for 1st/2nd year. You can't judge a place without experiencing it. Just randomly hop on a train :tongue: If you tell me in advance I can tell you where the 2nd years will have a lecture or hang out. You could chat away to them happily. Sure they won't mind telling what it's been like etc.

The only thing we can't show you is wards! You will just have to use your imagination there. Mind you we do get clinical skills handbooks with descriptions of the skills you are expected to know and rough guidelines for what you are meant to be taught.

Surely better than being at school for a day? :yep: May as well bring a friend and make a day trip of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keeno89)
    Just take a day off school and come here and visit! No one cares if you sit in a lecture etc.

Surely better than being at school for a day? :yep: May as well bring a friend and make a day trip of it!
    Sadly thats easier said than done!! i live on one of those wee islands off the west coast of Scotland..quite a while away! nice idea though...

ReputationRep:
    Yay new Deen medics!

I wanna know what your course is like! None of us have a clue what you guys will be doing :tongue:

Bagsy Chiko as my son
    I feel loved!

ReputationRep:
    Yay new Deen medics!

Bagsy Chiko as my son

Hi i really want to study medicine at Aberdeen in 2010!.
    Please can u tell me what GCSE grades u got and what AS gardes u got?
    Im a bit woried cos i am 90% sure i have failed AS maths. Do you think good GCSE grades can make up for that one fail?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 14, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.