Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

Ok, essentially I am currently doing 4 A2s, Maths, Physics, Economics and ICT. I am doing ICT with only a couple of lessons a week because my timetable doesn't allow more. The problem is that I am steadily falling behind in ICT and am pretty much at a point where I doubt I can catch up without my other subjects really suffering.
    I am predicted AAAA however if I continue ICT it is unlikely that I will get an A in it and there is a real chance it could drag one of my other grades down.

My first problem is that I am not sure which is best from a Universities point of view, AAA or AABB/C.
    My other problem is that I rejected all my UCAS offers this year because I got rejected from Warwick for MORSE. I am reapplying next year but am not sure exactly how much of an advantage my gap year plans will give me and whether they will compensate for having one less A2 than when I first applied. During my gap year I am doing a couple of modules on the Open University and doing some voluntary work as a teacher assistant at a local school. Will this be enough to still give me an edge of sixth form candidates even if I only have 3 A2s?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

ReputationRep:
    Universities would much rather you got AAA than AABB. Your first priority should be getting AAA; this would be enough for any university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Universities would much rather you got AAA than AABB. Your first priority should be getting AAA; this would be enough for any university.
    You say that but I got rejected for this course despite being predicted AAAA, having AAAAA at AS level and having a good personal statement which is what makes me wonder if AAA and the extra stuff would be enough second time round.

I think you need to face up to the fact that holding out for one university simply isn't viable, as there's absolutely no guarantee that you'll get in no matter how good your application is. AAA is seen as considerably better than AABB, so if you think that ICT is going to drag you down, you're going to want to drop it. An extra A at A2 is not a huge advantage; universities only seem to care about your top three grades.

ReputationRep:
    Even Oxford say they accept AAA but not AABB.
    Drop ICT, it's blacklisted anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    I think you need to face up to the fact that holding out for one university simply isn't viable, as there's absolutely no guarantee that you'll get in no matter how good your application is. AAA is seen as considerably better than AABB, so if you think that ICT is going to drag you down, you're going to want to drop it. An extra A at A2 is not a huge advantage; universities only seem to care about your top three grades.
    Yes I am holding out for Warwick but if I do not get a place next year then I am perfectly happy to go to any of my other 4 prefered universities. The only reason I withdrew this year was because I really liked warwick and the course there and wanted one more shot at it before going somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Drop ICT because of these reasons:

1) If keeping ICT means getting AABB than AAA, then it would effect the way unis look at your application.

2) It is a blacklisted subject; whether you do it or not I doubt it would make a diffrence.

3) 4 subjects does not give you the edge. Passion for the subject you want to do at uni gives you the edge over other candidates.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by BJack)
    not any: cambridge ¬¬...im still bitter lol

(Original post by paddy__power)
    not any: cambridge ¬¬...im still bitter lol
    Well, for him it will be as he couldn't be awarded an A* this year anyway :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Well, for him it will be as he couldn't be awarded an A* this year anyway :p:
    o yes i see my mistake ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Hi.

Ok, essentially I am currently doing 4 A2s, Maths, Physics, Economics and ICT. I am doing ICT with only a couple of lessons a week because my timetable doesn't allow more. The problem is that I am steadily falling behind in ICT and am pretty much at a point where I doubt I can catch up without my other subjects really suffering.
    I am predicted AAAA however if I continue ICT it is unlikely that I will get an A in it and there is a real chance it could drag one of my other grades down.

My first problem is that I am not sure which is best from a Universities point of view, AAA or AABB/C.
    My other problem is that I rejected all my UCAS offers this year because I got rejected from Warwick for MORSE. I am reapplying next year but am not sure exactly how much of an advantage my gap year plans will give me and whether they will compensate for having one less A2 than when I first applied. During my gap year I am doing a couple of modules on the Open University and doing some voluntary work as a teacher assistant at a local school. Will this be enough to still give me an edge of sixth form candidates even if I only have 3 A2s?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    AAA is better than AABB/C when the 4th subject is ICT.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the others that ICT adds nothing, and that AAAa is definitely a better option for you than AABB. Your application for MORSE at Warwick is more likely to be disadvantaged through lack of further maths (yes, I know it isn't shown as compulsory) since most candidates will be offering it. One option would be to take it during your gap year, in which case you could hope for an offer conditional on getting an A in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoblinSoul)
    Edinburgh Uni actually prefer BBBB (Highers) over AAA (Adv Highers). In my reply to my application, they said I didn't have enough subject breadth. : /
    Scottish universities are a completely different kettle of fish. The system is totally different and usually involves an extra year because Scots are expected to enter university a year earlier and with a broader set of lower qualifications (highers instead of A levels).

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.