Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.. ive got a conditional offer from Cass, UCL and Warwick buh can't decide which one to go to.. Cass - Acturial Science ...UCL - Maths n Stats...Warwick - Morse....any suggestions?..thanks

ReputationRep:
    do u want to become an actuary

ReputationRep:
    hey .. exact same situation here
    i got conditional from
    cass - acturial science
    warwick - morse
    UCL - stats economics finance

did you figure out where to go??!?! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    So it's between UCL (stats) and Warwick (morse).
    I'd say, UCL stats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown_Bateman)
    The first question you should ask yourself is
    "Do I want to live in the city, or would I prefere a campus based bubble?"

That should eliminate some of the options for you, then proceed from there.
    Or rather, the question should be 'Do you want to live in a city (London), or a campus for one year followed by a large-ish town or city in your second and third years? (Warwick)'

No offence - but it irritates me when people assume Warwick students live on campus for three years when in fact only first years do. After that most students live in Leamington Spa (which is quite nice actually and has a population of around 50,000 - wikipedia link below for more information for the OP) and some live in Coventry - not so nice but a city with a population of around 300,000.

So yes, if you're considering Warwick, don't just think 'campus' and then investigate what it has to offer, also look into where you will be living for two thirds of your degree (probably Leamington).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leamington_Spa

ReputationRep:
    Whether they suck or not is irrelevant to my point - the fact of the matter is people are often misled into believing that Warwick students live in a 'campus bubble' for three years, which simply isn't the case. As a Warwick student yourself I'm surprised you didn't realise that.

I don't happen to think that Leamington and Coventry suck, but then I'm quite happy in smaller towns and cities. Did you not realise you wouldn't be living it up in London when you accepted your offer...? Bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown_Bateman)
    Although you live in leam / Cov in year 2 and 3, you're still living in a bubble as you will spend most of your time on campus. Even in Leam, chances are anyone you interact with will also be a Warwick student.

I know what I signed up for, and I chose Warwick coz I actually like the idea of studying in the "bubble". But don't make it out to be something it's not.
    I haven't made it out to be something it's not at all. I merely stated the truth by saying that students only live on campus in their first year. On the other hand you are making it out to be something it's not by suggesting that students exist only within a campus bubble... I certainly don't spend all of my time on campus, and I don't know anyone who does.

Your point about only interacting with Warwick students whether on campus or not also doesn't make sense. Firstly, I do believe Coventry and Leamington have a similar proportion of young people (and old people) for their size as any other place in the UK, and I imagine they're just as easy to talk to as those in other locations. Or are 'others' only worth talking to if they're from Landan? Even if you do spend most of your time with other students, surely that applies to all universities and not just Warwick? I imagine most people attend university with the idea that they will spend most of their time with other students.

ReputationRep:
    Ucl
    Ucl
    Ucl

ReputationRep:
    i'm an international student ( m coming from india..)

i think id prefer to stay in a quieter calmer environment.. and its not like im tied to the campus .. theres a month each of winter and easter holidays i can always get a job in london or stay there cant i?

well.. out of my choices warwick is the most well known university.. city actuarial was a good option but accommodation n all is turning out to be too expensive..

so anyone joining MORSE in 2009..?

ReputationRep:
    ucl is not in the same league as warwick for maths and i think stats..

ReputationRep:
    hii thanks for all the replys..i didnt mention that i was waiting on lse..i got a conditional offer from lse for actuarial science so thats my firm and cass (actuarial science ) is insurance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t-a-r-online)
    Ucl
    Ucl
    Ucl

+ UCL
    + UCL
    + UCL
    + UCL

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.