Discrimination for employment on Mental Health grounds. Watch

AsystoleUK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So I went for a job a couple of weeks ago. Had an interview, got offered the position to start. It was a 42 hour per week carer position in a nursing home for people with dementia, and I was going to use it to save up a few thousand pounds for university so I would be more comfortable with paying accomodation and such.

They went for references off my old employer, everything seemed fine, but my last employer, which I haven't been at for around a year, told them i'd had 2 months off work at one point due to "psychological issues".

They dug around and wanted to know all about my medical history. I had a brief period of depression and psychosis, which was treated successfully, and is behind me. I'm not on medication anymore. I don't have symptoms anymore.

This morning I got a letter saying they were unable to offer me the position anymore.

Crap. I just posted in the wrong section.
forsaken_earth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ugh im sorry.Theyre dicks and paranoid about their mighty system.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
good luck proving it.

at teh end of the day theyre first duty of care is to the patients and if their is even a little chance of you having an episode thats nots a chance they are going to take
screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
With positions of trust and care they can't really take risks, its too expensive to risk legal action if something happened and families found out about your health history, just don't use that employer for references any more!
ExDeusVenitBritannia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well there's not as much supervision of carers etc in that line of work than there is of nurses by doctors etc. In that respect, they're more unlikely to be willing to take a chance on someone who may have another episode at work.

Essentially, once you've had a mental ilness like depression, it can come back.

It can come back with anyone, though.

You need to write to them and ask what extra information they used to come to this new decision. You also need to write to your old employer who gave the reference and ask for a written copy of it, citing a wish to "make sure that it is entirely accurate in any sensitive issues it may have attempted to deal with". You can then speak to him about rewording his original words about psychological issues...

Once you have the reply from the carehome or w/e you will know what they rejected you for. If you have it that it says it was due to the illness, you must press them on that and ask if they'd like a letter from your doctor confirming that the period of treatment has been successfully resolved.

Either way, you can press them for evidence and then threaten to sue them. Be careful how you phrase things, though. They are supposed to provide a reason but they'd be unwilling to be explicit if they think they will be sued from what they say.

Bonne chance.
RollerBall
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Isn't it illegal for an employer to give a reference of that kind unless specificaly asked about it? I can't imagine a care home specificaly asking "do they have any mental issues?".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (699)
80.34%
Leave (171)
19.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed