Turn on thread page Beta

Please help, I may go insane... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically my cousin is doing Geography next year and seriously cannot decide whether to go to Manchester or Newcastle University. She's been to both several times, and just can't decide. In Manchester she's on the BSc (as opposed to the BA in Newcastle) but doesn't think it really matters either way, as both courses are fairly similar. Both have great nightlife; good shops; they're big, diverse cities. She knows that Manchester has a better rep than Newcastle but isn't sure whether this should be much of an issue. She lives closer to Manchester but isn't sure how often she'll be going home.

She really can't decide and her constant whining is driving me mad. Any suggestions would be very, VERY appreciated and hopefully help her to make a decision (and shut up). :yep:

ReputationRep:
    As Uni's I'd always say Manchester, personal preference. That said it was just in another thread, most dangerous universities!! Have heard complaints about the uni as it's so big, but i don't think I'd wanna go as far away as Newcastle. However it does have the jordy accent, good or bad?

ReputationRep:
    Toss a coin.

ReputationRep:
    For my interests I'd probably choose Manchester, but that's just me.

If you can't decide between course or location then look at other factors. Opening hours of the library, location of it, how many books it has, etc. Look at clubs and societies that you might want to join, look at the union/s and see what they offer. The gym opening hours, facilities, prices. Those can be ways to differentiate between them.

ReputationRep:
    The difference in reputation between Manchester and Newcastle is negligible, just to clear that up.

Tell her to really focus in on looking at the course, accommodation and the general atmosphere of each university. Once she has looked over everything, tell her to just go with her gut feeling.

ReputationRep:
    if it were me id go on the choice of Ba or BSC

BA means she'll be doing more human based geography

and BSc means she'll be doing more physical based geography.

thats how it worked at the uni i went to, and the uni's my mates studies geography at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phill.monk)
    if it were me id go on the choice of Ba or BSC

BA means she'll be doing more human based geography

and BSc means she'll be doing more physical based geography.

thats how it worked at the uni i went to, and the uni's my mates studies geography at.
    I'd be careful of generalising like that. It's not how it works at some universities. I will receive a BSc, but I am mainly a human geography, all my options are human geography (well, one that counts as human or physical) and my dissertation is a human project.

ReputationRep:
    Plus at most unis there is always the chance to change to BA if you find yourself more interested in human, or vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    i see...my bad for generallising then..sorry.

i supose i was basing that on my experience of uni, as the two courses were on different campuses, and the physical part was on the campus that was near enough 15miles outside of the city and no one knew about lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 1, 2009

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.