Economics vs Business Economics Watch

Teveth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I have offers for both from the same university, but I'm not quite sure which one to accept. I had originally planned on doing straight Econ, but the more I think about it, Bus Econ seems much more relevant to the world of work.

We all know that business degrees are considered to be 'soft degrees' by many, so will the fact that Business Economics contains the word business devalue it?
Haz313
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Economics is more highly regarded and will open more doors for Masters etc.
uiop
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
depends if your talking about a BSc or BA as different uni class them differently (science or art)
if it's a BSc you'll be doing a lot more maths.

generally speaking and from experience pure economics is maths based, whilst business economics you get a bit of business management and more options when you choose your modules.

personally i think the word business does devalue it, but i'm sure lots of people will disagree and they are probably right, but if it were me... straight economics fo show.
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Which university are you talking about? Also, which course content do you prefer? They're similar but different degrees, and so broadly the modules you'll do will be different (even if you will have some of the same).

Personally I'd choose straight economics, though you should choose business economics if it's better for you and more suited to your interests/wants.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Straight Economics is likely to be more flexible and allows for many option units. Have a look into this as you may be able to choose most of the Business units that you would have in a Business Economics degree.
Sam Zare
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd say the 'Business' aspect does devalue it slightly, and that straight Economics will be more highly regarded by employers when you graduate. However, its 3 years of your life so you should do whatever course you consider to be most helpful/interesting.
faz123
Report 9 years ago
I am also having second thoughts regarding the amount of maths in straight econ. If I am working to grade b level in a2 level maths do u think I would struggle at the maths in manchester bsc degree?
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by faz123)
I am also having second thoughts regarding the amount of maths in straight econ. If I am working to grade b level in a2 level maths do u think I would struggle at the maths in manchester bsc degree?
Who knows, so long as you meet the requirement... Grades can only tell so much about a student. It can depend on what your weaknesses are at A-level. For instance, if you got a grade B for A2 because you're rubbish at trigonometry, then I wouldn't worry because the use of trigs in an Economics degree is near zero. But if your calculus, for example, is not up to scratch, then you should worry. Aside from core units, statistics is important (if you've chosen any of the S units)...
faz123
Report 9 years ago
Hmm interesting point. My calculus is ok but stats I do find difficult. Does anyone know if stats is particulary difficult at econ degree level and econometrics compulsory?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (274)
27.29%
No (730)
72.71%

Watched Threads