The Student Room Group

University Finance - Household

Hey,

I'm in my 2nd year of college studying I.T. and I've been accepted into 5 out of 5 universities to go on to study Computer Science.

My mum and dad are separated. I live with my dad, who has a £30k approx. salary (before tax), and my sister. My mum lives on her own and does not have a job.

Because I live with my dad, this means that I'm not going to receive all the money I can, because his £30k is above the £25k border line, which is rather annoying because my dad isn't putting any money towards my education.

My first idea was that I could temporarily move in with a few friends who currently live together, then tell them I live their. However, after a finance talk in college from someone from a University, it's comes to my attention that you have to have lived their for 3 years. So that's the end of that idea.

Then I thought, maybe I could say I live with my mum? So I asked him about it and he said doing that would be completely fine, it's not illegal, it's just "playing the system". Sounds great :smile:. All I'll have to do is get my mum to fill out the forms, etc. rather than my dad.

Now.. my question is.. is this as simple as it sounds, or do you think there will be complications? Will it affect the money my mum receives?

Thanks.
Or get a job like the rest of us..

Except for me obviously, I don't have a job. I just filter feed instead of buying food.
Reply 2
Erm, thanks.. for your.. spam?

I do have a part time job and I intend to get a part time job while at university.

I'm not here for chat, I'd just like someone to answer the question, please.
Reply 3
Dont know, im in the same situation except my parents live quite a way apart so I guess it wouldnt be believable? If i said I was moving to my mums in the summer do u reckon that would count?
Chris4
Hey,

I'm in my 2nd year of college studying I.T. and I've been accepted into 5 out of 5 universities to go on to study Computer Science.

My mum and dad are separated. I live with my dad, who has a £30k approx. salary (before tax), and my sister. My mum lives on her own and does not have a job.

Because I live with my dad, this means that I'm not going to receive all the money I can, because his £30k is above the £25k border line, which is rather annoying because my dad isn't putting any money towards my education.

My first idea was that I could temporarily move in with a few friends who currently live together, then tell them I live their. However, after a finance talk in college from someone from a University, it's comes to my attention that you have to have lived their for 3 years. So that's the end of that idea.

Then I thought, maybe I could say I live with my mum? So I asked him about it and he said doing that would be completely fine, it's not illegal, it's just "playing the system". Sounds great :smile:. All I'll have to do is get my mum to fill out the forms, etc. rather than my dad.

Now.. my question is.. is this as simple as it sounds, or do you think there will be complications? Will it affect the money my mum receives?

Thanks.

yes go for it, its perfectly legal, all you need is evidence that you mum and dad are divorced or living alone.

Plenty of people get benefits, its rather annoying, especially when other people dont get no benefits from their parents.
Wouldn't they be living at different addresses though? It doesn't seem 'right' to be doing that to be honest.
Reply 6
Chris4
Hey,

Thanks.
I would contact the Student Finance people directly and 'explore some scenarios' (anonymously if you like) with them to check what your position would be. The problem is that unless someone on here has exactly your situation it's unlikely that anyone really knows the answer to your question for sure - and it would be unhelpful to mislead you. Student Finance isn't always quite as straightforward as they would have you believe, so do make your own enquiries.
Reply 7
The person who worked for the Uni and the person that worked at my college both said its fine, so I'll go ahead and give it a try.

Just wanted to see what you all thought, so thanks for your replies. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending