Turn on thread page Beta

Textbooks for Russia (1905-17 Revolution, Bolshevism and Life in Soviet Union) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to buy some textbooks about
    Russia in revolution 1905-17,
    The Triumph of Bolshevism? Russia, 1918 - 29 &
    Life in the Soviet Union 1928 - 41.

Which one should I buy? I am doing Edexcel btw.

Also, should i read all the books that are in the book list? there're like a dozen books for each unit.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    try http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reaction-Rev...7588821&sr=1-3
    (^_^)

ReputationRep:
    "A People's Tragedy" by Orlando Figes is apparently brilliant. Our history teacher has recommended that we all read it as part of our course. The paperback edition should set you back around £15, it deals with far more that just the revolution and will be of infinitely more use than just a textbook given that it is a properly academic, though very readable, book by a great historian.

Perhaps "Endurance and Endeavour" by J.N. Westwood may also be of some merit. I've got it to help with my Russia 1855-1956 OCR Paper and it is excellent. It is very accessible and neatly divided up into sections of about two to three pages, dealing each with a specific point of Russian history from Nicholas I to the rise of Putin. I got it of Amazon for about £24.

Hope that this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clara_bellexxx)
    I want to buy some textbooks about
    Russia in revolution 1905-17,
    The Triumph of Bolshevism? Russia, 1918 - 29 &
    Life in the Soviet Union 1928 - 41.

Which one should I buy? I am doing Edexcel btw.

Also, should i read all the books that are in the book list? there're like a dozen books for each unit.

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Communist-Ru.../dp/0719574889 - Brilliant textbook! :yep:

Read what you have time to read, and try not to waste time reading over stuff you already know in detail when you are much weaker in other ares.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone so much!
    you know i ask this question because i'm doing Alevel history alone.. i'm self-studying this and i need to get an A. it's included in my conditional offer. basically I have a few months to go only.. im scared

anyway thxx for ur help

ReputationRep:
    There really aren't decent textbooks for this topic, we used one for the course last year, but it was very basic.

To be honest, at A Level history, you really should not be relying on a textbook for revision. Try some of the books suggested on here. My reccommendations are:

A People's Tragedy

Lenin (biography)

Endurance and Endeavour

Read these at least as they are very good, particularly the biography of Lenin.

ReputationRep:
    RK Massie's "Nicholas and Alexandra" - one of the most beautiful but tragic books of it's genre. Worth reading if you have the time.

ReputationRep:
    check out these Stephen Lynch books..
    http://www.amazon.com/Reaction-Revol.../dp/0340885890
    http://www.amazon.com/Bolshevik-Stal...ref=pd_sim_b_2

and if you can get hold of it > Peter Oxley, Russia 1885-1991: From Tsars to Commissars

:yes: I'm using these at A2 and i highly recommend them!

ReputationRep:
    heinemann study guides are really useful and reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcammiX)
    heinemann study guides are really useful and reasonable.
    They're ok. If you want meaty knowledge and a good factual understanding/quotations, then do not rely on textbooks especially if you are expected to draw an opinion. You must read actual books.

ReputationRep:
    orlando figes of course.. umm .. theres a short one by someone Lynch.. that has the basics.
    otherwise try the heinemann advanced history ones - they are pretty thorough

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.