Bank Robbery Watch

Titanomachy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
The writer submits that bank robbery is a victimless crime. Assuming a robbery is carried out without harming anybody, the end result of a successful bank robbery is of net benefit to society. The bank is covered against it's loss by a massive multinational insurance firm, the insurance firm absorbs the payout and passes it onto it's shareholders in the form of a minor reduction in dividend payouts, or to it's customers in the form of a minor increase in premiums. Ultimately it is unlikely that the firm will have to fire a single employee or lose any business as a result, such is the size of large corporate isnurance providers.

Conversely, the benefits are huge. The robbers keep currency in circulation, boosting the economy. Furthermore the local, national and perhaps even international media have something of interest to report to the public, boosting sales of newspapers and giving the general populace something interesting to talk to about. The police get to chase the bank robbers, the prospect of which is probably the reason why 90% of them chose to pursue a career in policing and would be a welcome break from dealing with domestic violence, sexual offenses and traffic violations. All of this for no cost and entirely at the personal risk of the bank robbers, who face heavy punitive consequences should they be caught by the authorities.

As such, bank robbers should be considered to be performing a public service at great personal risk, for arguably less material reward than many civil servants over the period of their careers who do not contribute so much directly to society and the economy.

Discuss
jtGRME
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, true, but "thou shalt not steal" and all that. Good argument, although would it be fair to say that if the robbers got away from the police chase then the police would come under fire and become victims?

Successful robberies also make good films etc.

Have you ever stolen yourself?
Titanomachy
Rep:
?
(Original post by jtGRME)
Yes, true, but "thou shalt not steal" and all that. Good argument, although would it be fair to say that if the robbers got away from the police chase then the police would come under fire and become victims?
Are you seriously offering the ten commadments as a credible argument against bank robbery?

I included the caveat that the robbery went off without anybody being hurt.

Absolutely, another good example of how bank robbers serve society.

Have you ever stolen yourself?
Not really, just the usual phase as a kid, stealing apples and whatnot, got caught and stopped doing it, I don't know anybody who grew up on my estate who didn't.
Petalgunk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What about stealing in general? :rolleyes:
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It may work in that instance, but, it would glamorise crime. Also, people may be encouraged to copy them. What started off as a one-off event may snowball into a crime frenzy of sorts.
jtGRME
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Titanomachy)
Are you seriously offering the ten commadments as a credible argument against bank robbery?
Well, no, it was put there more to indicate that, whatever benefits are brought about by bank robberies, it is unnacceptable in society, allowing for the fact that a lot of our laws today are based on historical religious beliefs. I was quoting to indicate that our laws are based on that and that would be a more credible argument.

If what you are saying is correct, then a bank robbery every now and again is clearly not a bad thing. However, if such a thing were to become comonplace, then the benefits would be outweighed by the disadvantages, would you not agree?
hobo06
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Inside Man - brilliant film! I picked up the DVD for £3 couple years ago.
daforce2009
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh yeah definitely a victimless crime, i mean they just go in and ask for the money and then leave after they have got it right? none of that over dramatised threatening to kill/harm people unless the cashiers hand over the money, or reckless driving while trying to escape, not to mention the fact that if the robbers plan ahead and say kidnap bank managers or their families or security staff in order to find out access codes etc they dont actually intend to hurt them and if they give up the info requested then everything is fine.

Best of all most of those involved minus the police officers will most likely get the rest of the day off if not longer as a result of the "stress" of the incident which is basically a day off for doing nothing#

also as you noted the loss of the money has hardly any impact, apart from security members potentially losing their jobs for failing to protect the bank, insurance companies having to pay out, which increases the premiums the bank has to pay, which reduces the profits of the bank and reduces the dividends that shareholders recieve and lowers the share value and therefore makes the bank look like a poor/unsafe investment potentially ruining the work others may have put in to make the bank work.

but as you said it makes for great tv/films and gives the police a alternative to stop gang crimes/domestic abuse/murders/drug dealing and other paper pushing activities and replaces it with a testerone filled high speed chase through street,roads shopping centres and parks complete with helicopters,explosions witty one liners and epic gun battles (potentially).

sounds awesome

(#apart from being threatened, possibly kidnapped, having a gun or the use of force threatened on your self out of the blue, or potentially being involved in a car accident during the robbers escape)
Chris#1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
From my limited knowledge of the subject, I agree. In fact robberies in general, think of how much money the great train robbery must have generated for newspapers, TV, authors of various books, and general interest to joe public.

As for bank robberies, Dog Day Afternoon is another great film which justifies the act.
Titanomachy
Rep:
?
If what you are saying is correct, then a bank robbery every now and again is clearly not a bad thing. However, if such a thing were to become comonplace, then the benefits would be outweighed by the disadvantages, would you not agree?
If bank robbery became more commonplace, more effective countermeasures would be put in place to prevent it, creating new jobs in security and further strengthening the economy while bringing criminals out of drug dealing and petty theft and getting them involved in more production forms of larceny.
jtGRME
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hobo06)
Inside Man - brilliant film! I picked up the DVD for £3 couple years ago.
I will have to watch it, thanks for the recommendation.
adilmorrison
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What about potential psycological damage to those present in the bank... Customers and employers...
Lady_Darkness
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
It may work in that instance, but, it would glamorise crime. Also, people may be encouraged to copy them. What started off as a one-off event may snowball into a crime frenzy of sorts.
This.
Although I can see the argument... if everyone decided it was harmless and acceptable, there'd be chaos. Society can't support everyone trying to make a career out of bank robbery (because the cops aren't gonna bother being cops and chasing the bank robbers if they decide they're being short-changd by obeying the law) Madness!

The law's there to keep order as well as to protect potential victims.
On the same note, someone could say that speeding is 'victimless' unless you cause damage, or an employer using dangerous working methods is 'victimless' unless an employee gets hurt.

Won't stop me backing John Dillinger in July though :yes:
adilmorrison
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I will have to watch it, thanks for the recommendation.
Definitely worth a watch... :yep:
Cities
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If bank robbery became more commonplace, more effective countermeasures would be put in place to prevent it, creating new jobs in security and further strengthening the economy while bringing criminals out of drug dealing and petty theft and getting them involved in more production forms of larceny.
I was with you until this post.
Cities
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Although the popularity of the thread does tenuously support the reporting + media argument of the OP; bank robberies are indeed interesting topics to discuss.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd say the countermeasures that already exist are prevention enough. Time delay locks, CCTV, bulletproof glass, silent alarms, door locks, dye packs, safes, lockboxes...

I think the reason why there are few if any successful bank jobs is that the criminals are too stupid. Yes. Too stupid to try it. Anyone with any sense will realise that it's so highly improbable to pull it off successfully, that it's not worth the risk.

Same with Securicor vans. No point. Same countermeasures, just with GPS tracking and big strobe lights on the roof.
jtGRME
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok ok, good answer.

Well overall I will agree with your points, if a bank robbery can be implemented so that no harm is caused and no-one is victimised, the robbery is a success and wide media coverage ensues, then i see no problem with it.

What about the argument that it would be cheating honest, law-abiding workers. I mean, you could work for your whole life, tirelessly, legally, and then the guy next door pulls of a robbery after months of work and then promptly is able to retire. What would you say to that?
LooieENG
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is it just me that always thinks about how I could rob my bank while I'm waiting in line? :confused:

Also, someone robbed a bank in my town a few weeks ago, lol. They just drove a Range Rover into it and then used chains to drag a cash machine to a white van. (Not really as elaborate as something from the Ocean films, but it was still easy money)

According to my sister though, they got caught because they were bragging about it in the pub :laugh:
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The writer submits that bank robbery is a victimless crime. Assuming a robbery is carried out without harming anybody, the end result of a successful bank robbery is of net benefit to society. The bank is covered against it's loss by a massive multinational insurance firm, the insurance firm absorbs the payout and passes it onto it's shareholders in the form of a minor reduction in dividend payouts, or to it's customers in the form of a minor increase in premiums. Ultimately it is unlikely that the firm will have to fire a single employee or lose any business as a result, such is the size of large corporate isnurance providers.
You forgot one thing. The insurance company will also put up the bank's insurance premiums who you can be sure will pass on the costs to their customers and shareholders.

So it isn't a victimless crime at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
29.89%
No - I got the required grades (100)
57.47%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (22)
12.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise