How to email a CV (What format??) Watch

Cupid Stunt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm applying to jobs and some have emails to forward your CV's to, do I just send the standard Microsoft Word document or do I need to do anything to it??

I might seem stupid but I remember there being trouble doing this to and back at our 6th form.
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
just a normal word document should be fine. if you wanted to be fancy you could shove it in a pdf
MrCynical
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've always just sent it as a word document. Could use a pdf I suppose, but there doesn't seem that much point - they'll have something that can open word documents. I vaguely remember one IT company I applied to wanting it as .txt, but that was very weird (probably anti-microsoft issues).
Cupid Stunt
Rep:
?
Alright then I'll send them as word documents, thanks I was just a little unsure.
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
pdf it so it's guaranteed to work and it'll retain the format you intended. Also means it can't be modified.
Puma
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I send it in Word 2007 and Notepad format.
I send it in both to be sure they can view it in some way.
Maybe they don't have word, so notepad comes in.

May look into making it a PDF though...
Consultant
  • CV Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
PDF is always the best way, it doesn't allow them to modify it, it will universally be able to be read and of course its what a lot of professional documents are sent in, so it gives a better impression.
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 9 years ago
Use PDF. If anything it shows you have mildly adept IT skills.
Cupid Stunt
Rep:
?
Okies, PDF it is. Looks more tidy I suppose.
Aack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I second PDF.
Consultant
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As somebody who has been reading over CVs for the past week or so, to get myself ready for recruiting, I can say you've made the right decision. In terms of readability its so much more preferable to open a CV in PDF format than to do it in Word.
sleekchic
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
:erm: How do you save a CV as a PDF?
Consultant
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sleekchic)
:erm: How do you save a CV as a PDF?
Are you using Microsoft Word?

If so, under Mac OS X, you simply go to "Print", select "Print to file" and then select the PDF option, or roughly thereabouts.

If you're a Windows person and have Office 2007, then download this add-in for Office, which will allow you to do the same thing.
sleekchic
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Consultant)
Are you using Microsoft Word?

If so, under Mac OS X, you simply go to "Print", select "Print to file" and then select the PDF option, or roughly thereabouts.

If you're a Windows person and have Office 2007, then download this add-in for Office, which will allow you to do the same thing.
Thank you. I'm on windows so I'm downloading it now.
flipshot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
PDF is best.

If you are going to send it as a Word Document then make sure its .doc (97/2000/2003 Format) and not .docx (2007 Format)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (124)
18.48%
No (406)
60.51%
Not really bothered about them (141)
21.01%

Watched Threads