Turn on thread page Beta

Mrs, Miss or Ms - What do you want to be called? watch

Announcements

The European Parliament has published a pamphlet asking staff to refrain from using the titles Miss or Mrs in case it offends female MEP's. How much do titles matter?

The guidance has been issued in a new 'Gender-Neutral Language' pamphlet and orders politicians to address female members by their full name only.

The same guidelines also orders that 'statesmen' be referred to as 'political leaders' 'sportsmen' be called 'athletes' and 'synthetic' or 'artificial' be used instead of 'man-made'.

The guidance for MEPs also lists banned terms for describing professions, including fireman, air hostess, headmaster, policeman, salesman, manageress, cinema usherette and male nurse.

What do you think about these guidelines? Would you find any of these titles offensive? What do you prefer to be called? What do the titles mean to you?

Read the full story (on the BBC website)

ReputationRep:
    I’d quite fancy being called ‘Her Majesty … Anony, the mouse’

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I think i'd find Mrs offensive at the moment...

ReputationRep:
    You know what offends me? The PC brigade going out of their way not to offend me. I'm MISS. And one day I'll probablt be MRS. Never Ms, it's awful.

ReputationRep:
    I get the impression that these guidelines offend more people than would otherwise.

Personally I'd be proud to become a 'Mrs' after marrying someone - I'd like my marital status to reflect in my name.
    I've got no problem with people calling me 'Miss' since I'm 19 and unmarried. Besides, the title 'Ms' for me connotates as a title for a woman who doesn't intend to get married - an example being a teacher from my old school who was a lesbian. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I welcome these proposals. I have used Ms for a long time now - NEVER Miss or Mrs. And I also object to women taking their husband's names upon marriage.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Dr...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Obviously wouldn't wanna be called 'Mrs' at the moment. I've always thought 'Ms' makes it sound like you're divorced, but it wouldn't particularly bother me if someone addressed me as 'Ms'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Have Your Say)
    The European Parliament has published a pamphlet asking staff to refrain from using the titles Miss or Mrs in case it offends female MEP's. How much do titles matter?

The guidance has been issued in a new 'Gender-Neutral Language' pamphlet and orders politicians to address female members by their full name only.

The same guidelines also orders that 'statesmen' be referred to as 'political leaders' 'sportsmen' be called 'athletes' and 'synthetic' or 'artificial' be used instead of 'man-made'.

The guidance for MEPs also lists banned terms for describing professions, including fireman, air hostess, headmaster, policeman, salesman, manageress, cinema usherette and male nurse.

What do you think about these guidelines? Would you find any of these titles offensive? What do you prefer to be called? What do the titles mean to you?

Read the full story (on the BBC website)
    Good! Gender specific titles and Miss/Mrs are archaic and sexist. If I was a woman I would always be Ms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Obviously wouldn't wanna be called 'Mrs' at the moment. I've always thought 'Ms' makes it sound like you're divorced, but it wouldn't particularly bother me if someone addressed me as 'Ms'
    Ditto. And often with some accents it's hard to hear the difference between Miss and Ms. That said, in a few months I'll be Dr *touch wood* so won't have to worry about whether I feel demeaned by being defined by my marital status!

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be a Mrs. Sooner rather than later - better start looking for a hubby, quick. lol.

Seriously though, I'd hate to get rid of the title Miss and Mrs. They're traditional - don't we already lose too many traditions on a daily basis as it is? Why get rid of another one?

ReputationRep:
    'Ms' annoys the crap out of me mainly because it is impossible to say...Apparently feminism > vowels...

ReputationRep:
    I have all my letters addressed as Ms, and that's what I put on forms and stuff. And I use it unless I know for sure a woman is married and doesn't mind being called Mrs.

But I'm perfectly fine when people are being polite and don't know my full name and address me as Miss, until I'm old enough to become Ma'am.

ReputationRep:
    Miss is fine at the moment.

In the future i'll be Miss to everyone except those who piss me off. They'll have to address me as dr!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imonlynapping)
    'Ms' annoys the crap out of me mainly because it is impossible to say...Apparently feminism > vowels...
    My thoughts exactly

ReputationRep:
    I hate Ms, I think it makes you sound like an old spinster.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I've met a Ms I've just sais Miss anyway. It's easier.

ReputationRep:
    Give it three years and hopefully I will have a PhD, thus eliminating the whole problem. Until then, I use either Miss or Ms depending on the situation. I usually use Miss, but I did some uni teaching this term and used Ms as Miss somehow made it sound like I was too young to be teaching undergraduates.

ReputationRep:
    Miss...on a saturday night

ReputationRep:
    It's a step in the right direction.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.