wolves mating Watch

didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
no clue where on earth this should go.

i'm watching some thing on yellowstone on iplayer (not much to do atm :/)
and it was saying when wolves mate, they are locked together for upto half an hour, unable to break free.
when i was younger i remember a similar thing happening with one of our dogs in kenya.

how does this locking mechanism work!!! and how on earth is a locking mechanism evolutionary favourable
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
and how on earth is a locking mechanism evolutionary favourable
Cause you can't pull out in time
Fjarskafinn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Stops the female getting away.
cook my sock
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I suppose if they are locked together there is a greater time for mating to be successful. However I also watched yellowstone and it does make them very vulnerable.
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the penis swells and the vagina constricts, hence the two are locked together. this:

enhance sperm and ovum transport
mateguarding function to prevent sperm competition

Dewsbury, 1978
Age_of_Innocence
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Reminds me of years ago, I went on holiday and my dog, still at home, went to find himself a shag. I was told on my return by the teary eyed and bewildered owner of the female my dog chose to mate with that after my dog had mounted her they tried to prise them apart but to no avail. The owner was about 8 years old, think the whole thing affected him psychologically. Gutted.
Jennybean
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The dog's penis swells into a bulb shape so that it is locked into the *****'s vagina. The dog then generally gets off her and turns around so that they are bum to bum. It's called the tie and turn. No real evolutionary advantage, just one of those things. If this interests you, you might also be interested in the spikes tomcats have on their penis, which spike the female on the pull out and stimulate ovulation.
cowsgoquack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jennybean)
No real evolutionary advantage, just one of those things.
How do you figure that? Do they just do it for the luls then?
Jennybean
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cowsgoquack)
How do you figure that? Do they just do it for the luls then?
Yeah, pretty much. If anything it confers a disadvantage as other things can jump on them while they're stuck, and these days plenty of ejits will try and pull them apart by brute force and end up seriously injuring them. There's lots of species differences between mating technique in domestic and common farm animals, pigs ejaculate for bloody ages and straight into the uterus, bulls and stallions get it over with fairly quickly and just into the vagina, but none of these animals has particularly outstandingly bad or good conception rates compared to any others due to their mating behaviours.
common_person
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If this interests you, you might also be interested in the spikes tomcats have on their penis
Well I'm not really into that sort of thing, but thanks for the tip.

This actually made my eyes water.
cowsgoquack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, pretty much. If anything it confers a disadvantage as other things can jump on them while they're stuck, and these days plenty of ejits will try and pull them apart by brute force and end up seriously injuring them.
Other things being what? And I seriously doubt there are many people that wander through yellowstone prising wolves apart.

And even if you were talking about domesticated dogs, it should be obvious that it is a vestigial evolutionary mechanism, which clearly does have a function. Mate guarding and sperm competition are intraspecific not interspecific effects, comparing pigs to cows to dogs has no relevance. It's not about maxamizing conception rates for the species population, it's about maximizing the chance that the offspring produced belong to a particular individual.
Jennybean
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by common_person)
Well I'm not really into that sort of thing, but thanks for the tip.

This actually made my eyes water.
Don't knock it til you've tried it :awesome:
Jennybean
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Other things being what? And I seriously doubt there are many people that wander through yellowstone prising wolves apart.
Other carnivores, depending on habitat. Often they get attacked by other animals of the same species. When I said about people pulling them apart, I was referring to the domestic dog, as referenced in Age_Of_Innocence's post. Why the aggression?! Something bitten you today? Where's the problem?
common_person
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't knock it til you've tried it :awesome:
Oh I don't intend to knock that at all, thanks.

But seriously, how does it work? I ask this tentatively. It's just, you make it sound like he stabs her on his way out or something. Where does he 'spike' her, and how does this encourage the eggiwegs to sally forth?
cowsgoquack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Other carnivores, depending on habitat. Often they get attacked by other animals of the same species. When I said about people pulling them apart, I was referring to the domestic dog, as referenced in Age_Of_Innocence's post. Why the aggression?! Something bitten you today? Where's the problem?
Like what? An eagle? A bear? That's not going to happen. What aggression... I was following up on your claim that the behavior had no evolutionary advantage
Jennybean
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

But seriously, how does it work? I ask this tentatively. It's just, you make it sound like he stabs her on his way out or something. Where does he 'spike' her, and how does this encourage the eggiwegs to sally forth?
It is honestly that he has lots of little spikes on his willy that poke her in the vagina, and it does hurt. That's why if you watch cats mating, when he gets off her she'll yell, turn and try and sock him one and he'll be trying to get out of there sharpish. The stabbing sensation is conveyed to the hypothalamus via the nervous system and the H produces a hormone called Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone that stimulates the pituitary to produce Luteinising Hormone. It's LH that causes the ovaries to ovulate. The process takes place over a few hours to coincide with the sperm reaching their final destination.
Double Agent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it is locked into the *****'s vagina. .
You should be a rapper.
cowsgoquack
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

take a look at these insect penises

http://www.scielo.br/img/revistas/rb...3n4/02f401.jpg
http://scienceblogs.com/neurophiloso..._beetle_02.jpg

see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_insemination

sucks to be female
Jennybean
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Like what? An eagle? A bear? That's not going to happen. What aggression... I was following up on your claim that the behavior had no evolutionary advantage
You just sound a bit stroppy is all. Apologies if you're not. Unsure why you've listed a couple of animals known to be in a position to predate wolves and then said attack by those creatures is not going to happen? Wolves as a general rule don't have natural predators and that's why their mating process is so silly, as it is basically the one time when they are vulnerable to attack.
Jennybean
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Double Agent)
You should be a rapper.
:hmmm: Who says I'm not already?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (157)
27.3%
No (418)
72.7%

Watched Threads