Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering where people stand in terms of morals to do with copyright and such.

I'm sure most people would never use a video camera to record what they are watching in the cinema.

I know a lot of people who consider file sharing or streaming of films/tv shows as 'wrong' and therefore do not do it.

But what made me write this post is the warning that comes up on DVDs that generally prohibit:

-use of DVD at clubs, coaches, hospitals, schools etc.

I have personally been shown DVDs at school and been on a coach where a DVD is playing, is someone at fault here? Is the viewer supposed to look away, or make a fuss and tell them to turn it off?:eek3:

-lending, copying, selling.

Is it wrong in this case to buy a used DVD from Ebay or a charity shop or lend a DVD to your friend or copy it onto your ipod/computer. Also, posting or watching clips of a film/special features on Youtube?

The whole thing baffles me and I may have completely misunderstood. i'm just wondering what other people's thoughts are on the subject?

ReputationRep:
    Copyright theft is one of my favourite past times. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Copyright theft is one of my favourite past times.
    It is fun.

But is there somewhere in terms of copyright theft you draw the line and will not do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 31Jen16)
    It is fun.

But is there somewhere in terms of copyright theft you draw the line and will not do?
    Not really. I don't do anything wholesale or make money from it at all - I earn enough so it's not worth the risk, but otherwise copyright infringement doesn't really bother me at all.

ReputationRep:
    But what made me write this post is the warning that comes up on DVDs that generally prohibit:

-lending, selling.

Neither of those are actually illegal. The DVD warning can claim that you have to hand over your first born child, doesn't make it so though, it's just wishful thinking by the production company.

ReputationRep:

I have personally been shown DVDs at school and been on a coach where a DVD is playing, is someone at fault here? Is the viewer supposed to look away, or make a fuss and tell them to turn it off?:eek3:
    Why presume that they have not licensed what they are playing?

ReputationRep:
    I would be lieing if I said I've never infringed any Copyright Laws but generally if something is worth paying for, I'll buy it. I have the choice to buy/download pirate video games and dvds but I prefer to buy the real thing. It rewards the people who create them and I prefer the quality of the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    I have personally been shown DVDs at school and been on a coach where a DVD is playing, is someone at fault here? Is the viewer supposed to look away, or make a fuss and tell them to turn it off?
    You apparently, according to official places like BBFC, have to have a license to show a full film in schools, coaches and so on. But the majority just ignore because I believe it's rare that such things will be punished. I don't think anybody would call and report it, fortunately.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.