Why Brits are backward socially? Watch

Chenla
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Social conservatism, political apathy and deeply ingrained class hierarchy are rife.

Creationism and fundamentalism is on the rise, and as much as people enjoy knocking the USA for its citizens' supposed naivete re. the outside world, Britain is at best hot on their tail.

Society seems content to allow the political class to bury any trace of privacy and liberty (the supposed bedrock of our culture!) under masses of scaremongering bureaucracy.

Our teen pregnancy rates are phenomenal, and not a little embarrassing.

Our tourists are the most loathed in the world; every nation holds a special sort of contempt for 'Brits abroad'; where does this lack of respect come from? Is it the result of our obsession with binge-drinking, or something else?

It's taboo even to seriously back the notion that drugs or prostitution would be better off legalised and regulated, for any reason.

Racial tensions are rife in a great many areas, but nothing is done, and nobody in power seems ready to admit this is the case.

A great number of the population are openly racist and homophobic, yet we consider ourselves a progressive and modern culture.

I could go on... just what is wrong with the people of this island? Are we too insular? Could we look to European society as something positive? Should we lean more towards the United States? Perhaps we have spent too much time looking to other countries (a notion I reject - unless we've managed to concoct some poison elixir by combining positive elements of other cultures, our shambolic society is a uniquely British one). Perhaps I'm the only person who feels this way - I doubt it - but I must wonder if those who vehemently disagree are not just confirming my suspicions that the island mentality blinds us to the achievements of those outside our borders.
MichaelG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chenla)
Social conservatism, political apathy and deeply ingrained class hierarchy are rife.

Creationism and fundamentalism is on the rise, and as much as people enjoy knocking the USA for its citizens' supposed naivete re. the outside world, Britain is at best hot on their tail.

Society seems content to allow the political class to bury any trace of privacy and liberty (the supposed bedrock of our culture!) under masses of scaremongering bureaucracy.

Our tourists are the most loathed in the world; every nation holds a special sort of contempt for 'Brits abroad'; where does this lack of respect come from? Is it the result of our obsession with binge-drinking, or something else?

It's taboo even to seriously back the notion that drugs or prostitution would be better off legalised and regulated, for any reason.

Racial tensions are rife in a great many areas, but nothing is done, and nobody in power seems ready to admit this is the case.

A great number of the population are openly racist and homophobic, yet we consider ourselves a progressive and modern culture.

I could go on... just what is wrong with the people of this island? Are we too insular? Could we look to European society as something positive? Should we lean more towards the United States? Perhaps we have spent too much time looking to other countries (a notion I reject - unless we've managed to concoct some poison elixir by combining positive elements of other cultures, our shambolic society is a uniquely British one). Perhaps I'm the only person who feels this way - I doubt it - but I must wonder if those who vehemently disagree are not just confirming my suspicions that the island mentality blinds us to the achievements of those outside our borders.
to make it easier for both of us, the bits in bold are completly wrong or inaccurate.
User237126
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Lol this is pretty much what has defined Britain...forever.

I fail to see how this relates to this. what is your point here?

This isn't OUR fault! it's the government's- most Brit's OBJECT to this, you fool

How does this make us socially backward? It's bad, yes, but not socially backward

Yes, it comes from the binge drinking- but we're not actually that loathed, I went to Spain last summer, and everyone was really nice (I stayed with a Spanish family in Madrid)

Umm, what?? Amsterdam is pretty much the only place where things like drugs are fully legalised, so on that basis pretty much the entire world is socially backward?

Case in point: FRANCE, look what happened in Paris 3 years ago!

a great number, not ALL. Just like in most countries, the bigots are outnumbered by the normal people, and our society becomes less homophobic by the year- we just legalised civil partnerships for chrissake!
E_D_B
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
All countries have their societal problems. Racial tensions in Britain are nothing compared to in France or Italy, for example. I wouldn't say either Brits or Americans are more socially backward than other people.
Seb.c
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd go with Michael on this one. Infact half the things you have named there are not just wrong, they are the exact opposite. "A great number of the population are openly racist and homophobic" Infact many would say that britain is too politically correct, to the point where we have positive discrimination, and foreign citizins have more rights here than in any other country.

"and as much as people enjoy knocking the USA for its citizens' supposed naivete re. the outside world, Britain is at best hot on their tail." Completely wrong again, British citizens have news of the outside world being thrown at them in bucket loads.

"but I must wonder if those who vehemently disagree are not just confirming my suspicions that the island mentality blinds us to the achievements of those outside our borders" - Wow. Britain is of the most interdependant countries in the world, with news and trade from all parts of the globe.

I admit this country has its faults, and quite a few of them at that, but your view is rediculous.
Chenla
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bobo1234)

I fail to see how this relates to this. what is your point here?
Just thought I'd bundle one up to make it easier for the foaming anti-Americans to quote.

This isn't OUR fault! it's the government's- most Brit's OBJECT to this, you fool
Do you not hear people, day-in day-out, "I've done nothing wrong so I've got nothing to hide"? The ones who object to it are of course the more vocal, but various polls (with a few notable exceptions) have shown Brits to be in favour of the ID card scheme. What's more, if they OBJECT to it, why do they do absolutely nothing?

How does this make us socially backward? It's bad, yes, but not socially backward
This seems to be absolutely exemplary of social backwardness to me.

Yes, it comes from the binge drinking- but we're not actually that loathed, I went to Spain last summer, and everyone was really nice (I stayed with a Spanish family in Madrid)
We are that loathed. If we're going on anecdotes, I have lived all over the world, and everywhere that gets any volume of them hates British tourists.

Expedia once did a poll where Brits came out as the world's most hated, with -44; second to last was Israelies with -6 : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2137729.stm.

taboo even to seriously back the notion that drugs or prostitution would be better off legalised and regulated, for any reason.

Umm, what?? Amsterdam is pretty much the only place where things like drugs are fully legalised, so on that basis pretty much the entire world is socially backward?
I'm talking about the debate, which, in a country that supposedly champions liberty, is altogether absent in mainstream society and politics. Please read what I write.

Case in point: FRANCE, look what happened in Paris 3 years ago!
Mm, not all the problems are unique to Britain, of course, but the severity and mixture of many of them is.

Also, the French go mental and riot over absolutely everything. :p:

a great number, not ALL. Just like in most countries, the bigots are outnumbered by the normal people, and our society becomes less homophobic by the year- we just legalised civil partnerships for chrissake!
Not so sure about this, but it's kind of hard to find statistics or evidence for that claim - I'll just have to tell you, I think your spectacles are excessively rosy!
A Stranger in Moscow
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd just like to point that theoretically there's actually nothing wrong with teenage pregnancies, whether you're one of the "bloody dole scrounging sluts" whiners or not.

Biologically it makes sense to have babies young.
common_person
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MichaelG)
to make it easier for both of us, the bits in bold are completly wrong or inaccurate.
I mostly agree, but how are our teen pregnancy rates not bad?

And I think drunken and loutish behaviour of certain Britons in certain resorts has tarnished our reputation as good guests abroad. I know I'm ashamed to see it. Also the disregard for foreign culture, because "they all speak English anyway". It's by no means every Briton, but it's still too many, and enough to give us a shameful name.

But other than that, I agree, and I think the OP is being a leetle too sweeping.
Chenla
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seb.c)
I'd go with Michael on this one. Infact half the things you have named there are not just wrong, they are the exact opposite. "A great number of the population are openly racist and homophobic" Infact many would say that britain is too politically correct, to the point where we have positive discrimination, and foreign citizins have more rights here than in any other country.
There is a difference between social issues and government legislation.

"and as much as people enjoy knocking the USA for its citizens' supposed naivete re. the outside world, Britain is at best hot on their tail." Completely wrong again, British citizens have news of the outside world being thrown at them in bucket loads.
Brits have fashionable world news, such as Israel. If you think the coverage of world events in the British media is comprehensive, you are merely strengthening my claim. What's more, I hope you don't believe the geography and history education that British children receive is sufficient, because that would be really disappointing.

"but I must wonder if those who vehemently disagree are not just confirming my suspicions that the island mentality blinds us to the achievements of those outside our borders" - Wow. Britain is of the most interdependant countries in the world, with news and trade from all parts of the globe.
Funny how we lag behind so many of those nations in terms of development, civil liberties, productivity, technology, social cohesion and whatnot, huh?
Chenla
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
I'd just like to point that theoretically there's actually nothing wrong with teenage pregnancies, whether you're one of the "bloody dole scrounging sluts" whiners or not.

Biologically it makes sense to have babies young.
Does teen pregnancy make any sense sense socially or economically though? (I do hope I wasn't being accused of being one such "whiner"! I couldn't help but to see such people as symptoms of our cultural disease, I don't really blame them for the most part).
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Seb.c)
positive discrimination, and foreign citizins have more rights here than in any other country.
No such thing.
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you dont like it, move out.
alice.eleanor.x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
not going into detail but, I dont think you really have a clue what you're talking about...
CanBeAPineapple
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If I can bring an outside perspective to this; the general outside perception of Britain is that the people are cold/unfriendly and this makes life there hard. not that i agree or disagree with it, but that's what the perception is
Chenla
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danielle89)
If you dont like it, move out.
Ah, classic! But of course, as soon as it's financially viable and I've sorted out all my commitments here I will be doing precisely that, don't worry.
jamessimth5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Expedia once did a poll where Brits came out as the world's most hated, with -44; second to last was Israelies with -6 : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2137729.stm.
Off topic, but lol at the top stories on that link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2773771.stm
dave_perry
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Hahaa that's not just Britain. Infact, per 1,000 USA have the highest teenage pregnancy and alot of people around the world are openly racist and homophobic, for exampleUSA, Muslim countries. So pipe down and find some facts that are unique to Britain! lol
MichaelG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by common_person)
I mostly agree, but how are our teen pregnancy rates not bad?

And I think drunken and loutish behaviour of certain Britons in certain resorts has tarnished our reputation as good guests abroad. I know I'm ashamed to see it. Also the disregard for foreign culture, because "they all speak English anyway". It's by no means every Briton, but it's still too many, and enough to give us a shameful name.

But other than that, I agree, and I think the OP is being a leetle too sweeping.
statistically, teenage mothers make up a tiny percentage of the population.

With your point i agree and i personally think its the attitude that because Britain was an empire, a lot of british people abroad think that they are superior to those in their own country.
Hunnii
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I never really thought of Brits as socially backward. :hmmmm:
From a quick glance, the issues mentioned above seem to be rather prominent in many countries. Maybe the UK just gets a lot more hype :tongue:
common_person
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MichaelG)
statistically, teenage mothers make up a tiny percentage of the population.
Yes, but the rate has consistently been among the hisgest in Europe, and we have the worst sexual health compared to the rest of Europe too. I think maybe we have a bit of a reputation for being scrubbers and ****s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (77)
26.92%
No (209)
73.08%

Watched Threads