The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Silver_Stardust
That was a really interesting read, it's good to know the reasons behind traditions.

Any time :wink:
Reply 61
GdotL
Well, I don't doubt that girls wearing the Hijaab have normal personalities but there's a part of me that feels less respect towards such females. I just don't understand why they feel it's beneficial to cover their hair and why they can't follow their religion while dressing both modestly AND according to common Western culture...
But obviously everyone's free to dress basically as they wish so if that's definitely what they wanna do of their own choice......then it's all good

:lolwut:

I dress modestly, but that doesn't mean I don't understand fashion.
Reply 62
Silver_Stardust
Just to clarify, because i have been looking it up and i'm still confused, is the hijab the headscarf or the full covering?

A headscarf :flutter:
is that the ones that look like ninjas? im a bit wary of them, not sure why, its like theyve got something to hid or something- like a robber wears a balaclava
if its just like the headscarf thats okay cos i can see their face then its just like wearing a hat.
Reply 64
Anonymous
I respect them because in most cases it shows they are modest girls. Not sluts like the majority of British girls seem to be nowadays!

Covering your head does not, I repeat does not, prove that they are not sluts.
Reply 65
I have very mixed feelings about it. I've asked several muslim girls why they wear them and they came back to me with a variety of answers. These includes:-
- wearing the headscarf to cover your hair, because it's seen as the most precious thing which should only be seen by family.
- saying it's an insult to show God/Allah the top of your head.
- to show others you're a muslim, and that's what muslim females do.
- so men get to know them for their personality and not their looks (but being allowed to wear make-up. How does that work?).

...to other reasons which included:-
- the girls admitting they don't have to wash or brush their hair in the mornings.
- being forced to for fear of being 'beaten'.
- keeping you warm and dry in winter.

I don't understand the real reason, and I'm worried that many girls wearing the hijab don't understand the real reason, either.
To be honest whenever I see a girl with a Hijaab I instantly think of them as ugly girls who have strict dads - which boys would want them. Their religion tells them not to reveal their beauty to other men -well I say what beauty?
I was smiled at by a woman today wearing, jesus, I'm hopeless with the names of religion-associated clothing. You could see her whole face, not her hair, which was covered. She's on my course at uni, she's of asian descent, and she's absolutely stunning. Such a warm, friendly, smile. Was letting me off the bus first and let open this amazing smile.

Anyway, I digress.
Reply 68
kat2pult
I have very mixed feelings about it. I've asked several muslim girls why they wear them and they came back to me with a variety of answers. These includes:-
- wearing the headscarf to cover your hair, because it's seen as the most precious thing which should only be seen by family.
- saying it's an insult to show God/Allah the top of your head.
- to show others you're a muslim, and that's what muslim females do.
- so men get to know them for their personality and not their looks (but being allowed to wear make-up. How does that work?).

...to other reasons which included:-
- the girls admitting they don't have to wash or brush their hair in the mornings.
- being forced to for fear of being 'beaten'.
- keeping you warm and dry in winter.

I don't understand the real reason, and I'm worried that many girls wearing the hijab don't understand the real reason, either.

I think you should look into it properly, some of the comments that I've read make me think that some of your Muslim friends are quite confused.

:five:
Reply 69
the whole point of the hijaab is to avoid (unwanted, or at least it shouldn't be wanted) attention from guys, etc which is why i don't really get the girls with hijaab who put on tonnes of makeup, mascara eyeliner and that..especially one girl i saw today who had a leapordskin hijaab like rah i think you're missing the point love
Reply 70
Silver_Stardust
Just to clarify, because i have been looking it up and i'm still confused, is the hijab the headscarf or the full covering?

The headscarf is actually known as a khimar. Hijaab itself is the covering up, including the khimar and burqa/'abaya/jilbaab. But the word 'hijaab' is also used for headscarf by the majority of people, Muslims and non-Muslims alike & also has a variety of meanings, including 'modesty'.

EDIT: I don't know why alot of people are saying the niqaab is not compulsory because it actually is. There are a number of verses in the Qur'an and a number of hadeeths that support this.
Reply 72
cruciform
To be honest whenever I see a girl with a Hijaab I instantly think of them as ugly girls who have strict dads - which boys would want them. Their religion tells them not to reveal their beauty to other men -well I say what beauty?

white_haired_wizard
I was smiled at by a woman today wearing, jesus, I'm hopeless with the names of religion-associated clothing. You could see her whole face, not her hair, which was covered. She's on my course at uni, she's of asian descent, and she's absolutely stunning. Such a warm, friendly, smile. Was letting me off the bus first and let open this amazing smile.

Anyway, I digress.

:smile:
Dr Salt
I give them a wide berth, as with all other people I suspect of being ninjas.

:rofl: omg I can't believe I just used up my rep 30 seconds ago before seeing this. I must rep you tomorrow.

I tend to be slightly intimidated by girls who wear it at first because in my experience, they tend to be more uptight and difficult to get to know.

I've found that the muslims who don't wear the hijab are actually "better muslims". Many muslim girls I've encountered wearing a headscarf are doing it largely because that's what their family does OR it would look bad to all their cousins and whatnot.

The muslims without the headscarves tend to be the ones who are very moral and not overly concerned with how other muslims will perceive them, but concentrate on being a good person instead.

IN MY EXPERIENCE.

Edit: and the niqaab disgusts me. Communication relies on seeing someones face. It makes me instantly suspicious, and that's just human nature I'm afraid.
Reply 74
I view them with pity
Reply 75
I view them like any other person :lolwut:
Reply 76
Sine
I view them like any other person :lolwut:

but not everyone is as sensible as you
Reply 77
my 6 year old cousin ran to me crying because he thought a fully robed woman was darth vader.
Reply 78
that depends entirely on what a hijab is

if its the headscarfy one that still has the face exposed, then i think thats quite cute and exotic

if its the completely black one that covers everything then actually i find that quite scary, not 100% sure why but there you go
junglemonkey
:rofl: omg I can't believe I just used up my rep 30 seconds ago before seeing this. I must rep you tomorrow.

I tend to be slightly intimidated by girls who wear it at first because in my experience, they tend to be more uptight and difficult to get to know.

I've found that the muslims who don't wear the hijab are actually "better muslims". Many muslim girls I've encountered wearing a headscarf are doing it largely because that's what their family does OR it would look bad to all their cousins and whatnot.

The muslims without the headscarves tend to be the ones who are very moral and not overly concerned with how other muslims will perceive them, but concentrate on being a good person instead.

what a load of tosh