Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My gf has told me that she does not want to see me anymore cos she thinks shes going to hurt me because shes really rubbish in relationships. I told her that if she just does not really like me enough then tell me and dont use the "im going to hurt you" as an excuse. But she said that its not an excuse and that she honestly likes me and thats why shes too scared of hurting me.

This makes NO SENSE as shes dumping me because shes likes me too much. Can anyone explain this to me?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, fairly ridiculous explanation. One would assume there is another reason that you don't know/she doesn't want to tell you. Perhaps she is actually a werewolf. If you still want to be with her, just tell her that she will hurt you even more by breaking up like she is. That this is probably why she is so bad in relationships, but she can change that by staying with you.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would assume that she is using it as an excuse, but it may be just that she has commitment issues and really flawed logic. Unfortunately, if she doesn't want to be with you, the reason doesn't matter, you just need to focus on moving on

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see under any circumstances why someone would break up with anyone because they like them too much? What? That defies all logic... I think you deserve an explanation. Say the least you can do if you do like me is explain to me what you mean.

The other thing is maybe she is really immature and knows she'll just end up cheating. Maybe she's too young for anything serious and can't cope with it or something.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she really is just scared, doesn't trust herself, doesn't feel ready. Yeah, some people really do have issues when it comes to not wanting to hurt people. I know someone who's done it for the exact reasons she's given you.

I'd let her know that you're not scared and that nothing would scare you off, but if you can't promise that and keep it then just leave it. Chances are she's kicking herself for it, she doesn't need you telling her how insecure and pathetic she is.

ooh, maybe she's got some dark secret.

ReputationRep:
    well shes 24 so not young or immature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by common_person)
    Maybe she really is just scared, doesn't trust herself, doesn't feel ready. Yeah, some people really do have issues when it comes to not wanting to hurt people. I know someone who's done it for the exact reasons she's given you
    ^This

I left my boyf last year because I got really scared, I was having feelings for him and I have abandonment issues so I thought it would just be better to take off; there were other issues that contributed to my decision not just flawed logic there was reason to my thoughts

what i'm trying to say is that it's more than possible that some thing you've said/done or not said/done sent her running because she is afraid

it happens - hang in there, she might come back to you someday when she's figured things out in her head, the thing is that you need to stay on good terms with her and be prepared to make the first move if you suspect she's ready to try again with you

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I do know the feeling of how when you love someone so much, you're scared of changing anything you have and so you would rather nothing happen between you two rather than have something bad happen.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.