What type of degree?! Watch

Raminder1992
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, well basically i am stuck because i do not know what type of engineering i would like to do! I originally thought Mechanical but i think thats just because its the most popular! Does anyone have any advice?

I am thinking between Electronic, mechanical, Aeronautical, civil and automotive (btw what unis do automative, i cant find many) What things would you do in uni, like what projects? Also if i wanted to go into a job like design cars? Design mobile phones and mp4 players ec. Go into F1! And if i go into electronics would i be dealing with things like robots etc and what would the likiehood be that i would get a job to design robots or "cool" electronics

thanks for the help
alexyfoot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok. Youve got milliona of questions in one sentence. Ill answer to some of them.
Electrical - design of any type of electrical systems - from Cellphones to the avionics on an airplane
Mechanical - can apply your skills to most disciplines. it is more general than the others and get more multidisciplinary skills so you can work on anything from boggies of a train to designing water pumps for a swimming pool. (other degrees are multidisciplinary in general too and you can switch fields but you are more limited with the options for it)
Automotive - it is basically car designs and al the engines and systems stuff on it but you do get knowledge in other field. Best for automotive is Loughborough, than Oxford Brookes. Loughborough is a very good option for going into F1, several graduates every year move to F1 teams. The other route to it is generally mechanical or electrical at Imperial and probably electrical at Southampton (not sure about that)
aeronautical-anything on an airplane basically, it shares much knowledge with automotive and mechanical but has some specific features typial for it like high speed aerodynamics and airplane design stuff - I love it.
dont have a real idea about robotics stuff, somebody would have far more knowledge on this topic than I do.
good luck. if you have any other questions feel free
rmcmdo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Alright mate dont listen to all the bs about which university is the best and which course can give you which jobs.

The fact of the matter is automotive is on its arse at the mo and will not recover for years unless they change from oil to renewable.

& areonautical there are no jobs

I started off doing a foundation year studying mechanical and electrical but i transfered to civil eng afterwards instead of doing mechanical or electrical. There are jobs around but not alot, and they dont pay well and the competition is great all my friends that i started off doing the foundation year with havnt got jobs around 100 of them.

I am civil engineer graduating in july so am a bit bias but just type in a search engine graduate engineering jobs and you will see the most are civil eng.

Civil engineers are also the best project managers most construction firms only employ civil engineers I did a placement for a consultant over summer and they will not entertain anybody unless there civil engineering background.

Alot of financial institutes head hunt civil engineers for project mangement and other financial jobs.

I have a job offer for 25k but the average pay is between 22-26 at the moment. Although most companies are taking advantage of the economic times are reducing the pay.

google engineers jobs and get a feel for it your self,
What ever you decided make sure you do a summer placement. Most engineering firms I have applied for will reject anybody who hasnt done a placement of some sort.

hope this helps fella
rmcmdo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Dont forget aswell mate, civil engineering is multdiciplinary where by you will be working in one of the following:

river/coastal, structures, highways, bridges, lighting, utilities, energy, rail, environmental. and then this is split into a consultants and contracting engineers aswell.

in the office I worked in over the summer there was 4 electrical engineers, 2 mechanical, (dealing with street lighting) and 50 civil engineers, this is typical of any construction related company, of which have a few electrical/mechanical and the rest civils.
alexyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The fact of the matter is automotive is on its arse at the mo and will not recover for years unless they change from oil to renewable.

that's enough for me to not read anything anymore from what you typed. its simply far from the truth...
Raminder1992
Rep:
?
Hi everyone thanks for your help!!

(Original post by rmcmdo)

Civil engineers are also the best project managers most construction firms only employ civil engineers I did a placement for a consultant over summer and they will not entertain anybody unless there civil engineering background.

What ever you decided make sure you do a summer placement. Most engineering firms I have applied for will reject anybody who hasnt done a placement of some sort.

hope this helps fella
The thing about civil engineering is that im not sure if it interests me that much? What type of things would you do in your degree (what projects etc) and a job? Check that a building structure is ok or design a building? The thing you also say about a summer placement, would you do that during uni or before? I am currently in Y12 and ive only done one work experience which was at Brush. I am also doing a headstart course in july! Thank you for your help!
Peel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Alright mate dont listen to all the bs about which university is the best and which course can give you which jobs.
University does factor in, not hugely in the way that it would for banking, but it most certainly does.

I am civil engineer graduating in july so am a bit bias but just type in a search engine graduate engineering jobs and you will see the most are civil eng.

Search engines really aren't a good indicator of reality. From talking to civil engineering companies, it seems the majority of them are no longer interested in summer placements / internships, and even Atkins (the largest UK engineering consultancy) are having difficulties placing me although they are legally obliged to. This does not scream out as being significantly better than other disciplines.

Did you work for a civil engineering consultancy? That would explain it.

Alot of financial institutes head hunt civil engineers for project mangement and other financial jobs.
They do this for every other engineering discipline too.
Raminder1992
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexyfoot)
Electrical - design of any type of electrical systems - from Cellphones to the avionics on an airplane
Mechanical - can apply your skills to most disciplines. it is more general than the others and get more multidisciplinary skills so you can work on anything

Automotive - it is basically car designs and al the engines and systems stuff on it but you do get knowledge in other field. Best for automotive is Loughborough, than Oxford Brookes. Loughborough is a very good option for going into F1, several graduates every year move to F1 teams. The other route to it is generally mechanical or electrical at Imperial and probably electrical at Southampton (not sure about that)

aeronautical-anything on an airplane basically, it shares much knowledge with automotive and mechanical but has some specific features typial for it like high speed aerodynamics and airplane design stuff - I love it.

Hi alexyfoot! Thank you for the time for the long reply!
The thing with automative in loughborough is that i live in loughborough and i dont wana stay here lol! Also it would be good having a bigger feel for engineering than just cars!
Where do you do aeronautical engineering? What type of things do you study on your course? Are there many projects? because i heard that there is not alot of projects unlike mechanical and electronic! Im thinking of aeronautical engineering more than anything at the moment but what is the liklyhood of a job and also what jobs will you come across doing an aeronautical degree? I mean like design an engine for a plane? or designing something like a windscreen window thingy majig! lol

There is one last question ... When people talk about designing stuff, do they mean actually designing the product themselves and the parts its made up of! Or someone else designs it and you help to construct it so it would work??

Thanks again for all your help and sorry for all the questions:d

Ram
alexyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OK. If you want longer answer, I'll explain what I mean and answer your questions.
I am doing aeronautical at loughborough. Went to a careers fair and aerospace companies still give away placements and internships although then do get many applicants per place. However many applicants per place is valid for any engineering and non-engineering degree, so that doesnt make it lacking any prospects. Actually lots of design work is put into improving efficiency on both aircraft and cars so designers in both fields are highly sought after. Cars have to be made more efficient and the industry realizes that so they would rather invest into engineers who can design a better car than in the manufacturing of cars but if you get a degree in automotive you will most probably be doing design work for a company than to end up in the manufacturing side (which is still a huge industry). Automotive is quite good but if you dont enjoy cars just dont do it. Do something that you want to do. I just looked at prospects for each degree and what job is like - then decided aerospace is the field for me based on all factors. prospect.co.uk I think it was, it is a very good website where they have descriptions of jobs and degrees. There are projectsin my course. This year we are building an aircraft for example. Civils (because I have friends studying it) do bridges. Mechanicals generally do labs, they dont have many projects at least in year 1. You are more likely to get more projects later on i years 2 and 3 so you will be doing enough of it (although for any degree anywhere, exams will be the main thing for engineering in years 1 and 2) Year 3 as a big project with presentations and such. It is a quite good degree and has some good prospects for the future (increase in aircraft transportation of 100% in the future 15 years is projected, which means more design work and more aircraft). If you do aeronautical what jobs you can do - engine design and manufacture, landing systems, avionics and systems design, fuel systems, aerodynamical design - wings design, risk assessment and realiability optimization, CAD (comp-aided design) for any type of engineering drawings and 3D drawings for any parts of systems and aircraft structure. Additionally, youcan move to other fields of engineering - marine technology, trains, car industry. You can basically do anything from designing elements like fan of an engine to designing pumps and its components of a fuel systems. Most of the work is done in teams - like 10-12 people are given the task of designing a new fuel system for a given aircraft - anything like this is a potential task when you move in the industry. The demand for such positions is quite big as there were not enough graduates in the industry before so now they have to fill in places of retiring staff and demand for aero engineers is quite good ( dont listen to the other guy who has no idea what he is talking about as I dont have much of an idea about say biomechanical engineering prospects) And designing is in essence you design the system in basics depending on the requirements given. Then you think abut the components that make up the system - then you have to design every simple component on usually CAD based on calculations and knowledge and give the drawings to somebody to produce it. Then of course you go on and test it and see if it fits with the requirements - thats my simplified version, but thats what you basically do. Of course sometimes you have to help in the manufacturing of the system or components but not always.
loughborough is great for engineering, I know the town is REALLY boring for you right now (its boring for me after 1 year...) but dont write it off because of that. you dont have to move out if you decide to do engineering because not many unis can beat loughborough's reputation for engineering.
best of luck
rmcmdo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The thing about civil engineering is that im not sure if it interests me that much? What type of things would you do in your degree (what projects etc) and a job? Check that a building structure is ok or design a building? The thing you also say about a summer placement, would you do that during uni or before? I am currently in Y12 and ive only done one work experience which was at Brush. I am also doing a headstart course in july! Thank you for your help!
Nah you do summer placements whilst at univeristy if you can get one before then that is supper but I doubt you will.
Civil engineering is loads of different things, river and coastal/highways/environmental/energy/utilities/structures/bridges theres loads of different apects to look into go on the institute of civil engineers website and see if it interests you. If it doesnt then dont bother doing it but you have to work hard to distinguish yourself from other graduates what ever course you do.
rmcmdo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
and even Atkins (the largest UK engineering consultancy) are having difficulties placing me although they are legally obliged to. This does not scream out as being significantly better than other disciplines.
Dude you need to wake up and realise the world doesnt owe you a thing, legal obligations mean jack nish. Most companies like summer placements not because their legally obliged but because they increase the billable hours which is good for shareholders. However if their order book doesnt have enough work they are unlikely to want people.

Some companies are still taking on students because their order book is looking good for the next 5 years. If your cv isnt distinguishing you from other graduates then thats your fault nobody else. I am having no problems getting a job and have a number of offers.

All I am doing is making the chap aware of the abundant opportunities are available and just because you have a degree at a certain university doesnt mean your better then anyone else.
Just because you have a degree doesnt mean someone is going to gift you a great job you have to work at it and distinguish yourself from other graduates
rmcmdo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

that's enough for me to not read anything anymore from what you typed. its simply far from the truth...
where have you been do you watch the news????????????????????????
Governments are giving billions to prop up a failing industry, redundancies by the thousands.
waki waki
alexyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you obviously dont understand anything in depth so as I already said I am not going to argue. redundancies are not for the engineers in general. in most cases redundant are all the people in the industry not the engineers.
I hope you realise that if he is starting his degree next year so he is graduating in say 4-5 years time. current conditions will be very different in 5 years so even if what you are trying to prove was correct (which isnt) it is absolutely irrelevant to a student who starts university in an year or two.
waki waki as you said. dont try to argue about stuff you dont understand, please.
Benny_b
Report 9 years ago
The problem is hardly the fact the auto industry relies on oil, its that people are scared to spend - and thus no-one will buy a car.

Anyway I think an Automotive Engineering Degree is great for its multidisciplinary nature. Think about the skills you would need to design a car. Huge amounts of Mechanical/Structural/Electrical Engineering knowledge. I know...I do the degree and I do alot of crossover work with the mechanical, civil and electrical guys as previously mentioned.
Benny_b
Report 9 years ago
Oh and to answer the OP, visit some uni open days, go speak to the various departments and see if one course over another catches your eye.
Maybe if you want a broad range of study options consider Mechatronics or something something similar.
tb12345
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well if you like bits of each discipline mechanical might be for you, I do things in aeronautics, electrical(even though I hate it), automotive etc, plus it allows you to work in all areas really since the degree is so broad, more so than civil. Oh and the type of engineering you do rarely affects if you'll be a project manager or not, and if you wan't to move into finance then the type won't matter, they are all highly numerical degree's so it will not be a factor.
Peel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Dude you need to wake up and realise the world doesnt owe you a thing, legal obligations mean jack nish. Most companies like summer placements not because their legally obliged but because they increase the billable hours which is good for shareholders. However if their order book doesnt have enough work they are unlikely to want people.

Some companies are still taking on students because their order book is looking good for the next 5 years. If your cv isnt distinguishing you from other graduates then thats your fault nobody else. I am having no problems getting a job and have a number of offers.

All I am doing is making the chap aware of the abundant opportunities are available and just because you have a degree at a certain university doesnt mean your better then anyone else.
Just because you have a degree doesnt mean someone is going to gift you a great job you have to work at it and distinguish yourself from other graduates
They are legally obliged to give me a work experience unless you don't consider a contract a legal obligation? Please don't lecture me about the civil engineering industry, today I must have read about 6 or 7 thread about 2 years old, of you spouting the same stuff, and some of your posts are just plain wrong.

I don't think I'm entitled to a job, or that the strength of my degree alone will get me into a job, but you'd be naiive to think that the industry does not recognise that some universities are better than others. Out of curiosity (and I don't mean this in a patronising way), where did you attend university? That might explain some of your views.
rmcmdo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
waki waki as you said. dont try to argue about stuff you dont understand, please.
HA HA Another spotty 20 year old student trying to pretend he knows everything about everything.

An automotive degree is a good degree, that is not indispute.

However since oil production in the next 5 years is going to slow down because of the lack of oil and will be in steady decline over the coming years this is going to affect the industry unless it adapts there is anbundance of literature on this google it and see. This coupled with very very bad business descions and over prodiction is not helping.
Now let me educate you on economics alexyfoot:

We are currently in a recession which is defined as 3 consecutive periods of economic decline, this was not caused by the banks in which labour politicians will have you beleive. It was caused by borrowing both public and private sector which ment borrowed money represented too much of GDP (gross domestic product). This excess borrowing produced a lack of confidence in the markets then came along the credit crunch which was caused by the sub prime market which again is related to the borrowing. This time it was banks borrowing too much over and above their depositis off setting their balance sheets. This came to a head when the subprime market started defaulting on mass causing massive losses which could not be sustained becasue the banks balance sheets representing to much debt. The creditors started calling in the debt, and the banks stopped lending to each other or they would only lend to each other at inflated prices.
The credit crunch then casued the alot of foreign comapnies to retract lending in the UK.

I could be more detailed but you get the jist of things from the above this slow down in the supply of money stopped lending to buy cars. Many companies prepared for this the car industry did not.
For someone who doesnt understand things I seem to have a good grasp of the above, and if you knew what you was talking about you would know that the government is currently using a tactic called quantitive easing were by they print money to increase the flow.
This printing of money was done by Japan in the 90's argintina in the 70's and russia also in the 90's this lead in all the cases to collapse in the economy and prelonged recession in japans case took 10 years to recover from. and argentina still hasnt fully recovered becasue their economy is not versitle enough.
The UK economy is now disproportionatly focused on the banking and insurance industry represneting our largest export and since this has crashed we simply have little if anything else. Manufacturing and farming has been systematically erroded due to the strength of the pound and successive governments prefrerring the banking and services sectors and taxing policies.
alexyfoot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I cant argue with ignorant, uninformed people who accept nothing but what they think is true. Go to yet another 4 years old thread and explain everything to us. Your logic doesnt make any sense and I am not going to bother arguing. Best luck to the op, and you better get back to the work that you mention in every your post that you secured and make sure you stick to it rather than explaining rubbish to us in the student room about how civils are the only engineers employed in the world today and in the future. reality check necessary. ty and good night.
rmcmdo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Out of curiosity (and I don't mean this in a patronising way), where did you attend university? That might explain some of your views.
I attended Liverpool Univeristy and will be doing a part time masters at Leeds university whilst working. I dont think I am better then anybody from other university's nor do I think anybody is better than me. Some people are going to be better engineers than me thats a fact but not because they went to a so called better university thats old school social mobility at its best.
But iam a mature student who had to work to save to go to university and as a result have an abundance of work experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1411)
79.63%
Leave (361)
20.37%

Watched Threads