Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of maybe applying to a few PhDs of interest later this year for 2010 entry. I'm just wondering how it would look to have a significant gap of no studies or a proper job between when I finsihed my MSc (back in September 08) and if/when I apply (Could be nearly 2 years before I start ). I can't get any kind of job to save my life at the moment!

However, to fill the time, I'm also hoping to travel for a bit (West Africa among other places), possibly learn a language and teach english abroad (via the TEFL course).

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't think taking a break would hurt your chances. I mean, even the traveling and learning a new language is something that can build a resume rather than detract from it. And teaching English abroad is certainly something that can boost your chances. All you have to do during the application process is just play up these activities and how they've contributed to you as a person and, if applicable, how they give you an advantage over others pursuing similar PhDs.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm yeah ... I think travelling will enhance the CV and help me develop some transferable skills. A big worry is how I will fare against someone straight out of their BSc/MSc or a research assistant job. I suppose I can't tell till the time comes so yeah just have to' big up' my other experiences.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    hmmm yeah ... I think travelling will enhance the CV and help me develop some transferable skills. A big worry is how I will fare against someone straight out of their BSc/MSc or a research assistant job. I suppose I can't tell till the time comes so yeah just have to' big up' my other experiences.

Thanks
    Well given that everyone's application profile is unique, I think all unis ask for is the minimum; so whatever's beyond that is beyond your control. They might prefer some life experience over someone's who's been nowhere except the library.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.