The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Diaz89
I saw him on BBC News half an hour ago, what's you opinion.

I personally think he should but with someone that cares for him or has his same condition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/lizhunt/5007959/Otto-Baxter-When-a-mother-is-right-to-go-public.html

What the ****, has the same condition. Get out. Why should they pair him off with someone with the same condition. He can get with who the **** he likes.
Mwoah
What the ****, has the same condition. Get out. Why should they pair him off with someone with the same condition. He can get with who the **** he likes.

Someone who has the same condition might have a better understanding of all his medical problems, stigma, physical limitations...
Reply 42
Psyk
Quite a lot of people have extra chromosomes, a lot probably have them and don't even know.

Seriously mate, don't sprout rubbish.

Quite a lot of people do not have extra chromosomes.

There are a couple of other diseases with additional chromosomes and these are comparitively rare.

An additional chromosome seriously effects an individual.

Lol at you.
I think that mother should be ashamed of herself.
I think the mother has problems under her apparently 'together' exterior. I found the lad slightly creepy as well, not because of his downs, but because of how rude he was... Perhaps not intentionally, but it seemed like he couldnt control himself you know? Most people would feel freaked out if a random person came and put their arm around you/suddenly licked your hand. It's probably not his fault, maybe he just doesnt understand how things work, it's always gona be wierd having someone with a childs mindset in sexual situations...

I dunno. :/
Reply 45
LearningMath
I think the mother has problems under her apparently 'together' exterior. I found the lad slightly creepy as well, not because of his downs, but because of how rude he was... Perhaps not intentionally, but it seemed like he couldnt control himself you know? Most people would feel freaked out if a random person came and put their arm around you/suddenly licked your hand. It's probably not his fault, maybe he just doesnt understand how things work, it's always gona be wierd having someone with a childs mindset in sexual situations...

I dunno. :/

You have to remember though that the Down's affects how he interacts with people. His learning difficulties will mean he can't judge social situations and acts in a perculiar manner. His 'rudeness' is undoubtable, in my opinion, related to his Down's.

That said not all people with learning difficulties are rude obviously.
Reply 46
Mwoah

There are a couple of other diseases with additional chromosomes and these are comparitively rare.

Lol at you.

Depends which extra chromosomes you have. It doesn't always have a serious effect. Perhaps saying quite a lot of people was misleading, it is very rare to have a different chromosome configuration but overall there's still quite a lot of people with some kind of condition. Here's a well referenced wikipedia page about a different chromosome configuration that often causes no particular problems http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xyy_syndrome

edit- actually maybe "very rare" isn't accurate, 1 in 1000 births I wouldn't really call very rare.
Reply 47
I think that the program showed that he was a little bit too immature to have sex - maybe because of his pushy mum making such a big thing of it all the time ringing up dating agencies and stuff weeeeeeirdo
Mwoah

Lol at you.

People can have extra sex chromosomes and not know about it sometimes e.g. XYY or XXY but they usually show some symptoms. If you have extra copies of the other chromosomes though you would definitely know about it lol
Reply 49
Psyk
Depends which extra chromosomes you have. It doesn't always have a serious effect. Perhaps saying quite a lot of people was misleading, it is very rare to have a different chromosome configuration but overall there's still quite a lot of people with some kind of condition. Here's a well referenced wikipedia page about a different chromosome configuration that often causes no particular problems http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xyy_syndrome

edit- actually maybe "very rare" isn't accurate, 1 in 1000 births I wouldn't really call very rare.

To be honest I think that's the only exception, here's another article on wiki -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisomies, these trisomies are all quite serious (bar XYY), with most other trisomies not even making it to term.
Reply 50
Mwoah
To be honest I think that's the only exception, here's another article on wiki -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisomies, these trisomies are all quite serious (bar XYY), with most other trisomies not even making it to term.

Well maybe it is an exception but my statement that many people with a different chromosome configuration have no particular negative effects still holds.
Reply 51
Psyk
Well maybe it is an exception but my statement that many people with a different chromosome configuration have no particular negative effects still holds.

Many?

1 in 2,000?
Reply 52
According to the wikipedia page 1 in 1000 males born, but there's a female equivalent with the same proportion. If it's 1 in 1000 and there are 60 million people in the country then there are 60,000 people with it in the UK. I'd say that's quite a lot.
It isn't so much that Otto Baxter has the right to have sex, it's that everyone else has the right to choose not to have sex with Otto Baxter. Sadly, they are using this right to full effect...
Reply 54
i think people confuse needs and desires with rights sometimes. having said that, good for him, and any other downs sufferers; i'm happy to see this particular individual is keen to develop.
Reply 55
i just went on his bebo profile... lol (i was bored)
I got embarrased when i went shopping with my mum.

That kid must fecking hate her!
Bagration
It isn't so much that Otto Baxter has the right to have sex, it's that everyone else has the right to choose not to have sex with Otto Baxter. Sadly, they are using this right to full effect...

I think this sums it up really quite well.
I think the mother has just made it worse for him now, if he is going to have sex with someone in the aftermath of all this it will be payed for, or out of pity. With the mum adding all the pressure it will make it even more difficult for him to find someone who, similar condition or not, likes him enough for who he is to want to have sex with him.

THe whole scenario seems to have forgotten that the sex is supposed to be a mutual thing for both people to want! IF she wanted him to mature and have "normal" experiences she would give support and some advise on how to talk to people, perhaps on even how to get dates, then let the rest progress by itself.
Instead she is teaching him sex is just a thing to "get" like some material good he is being denied as a form of discrimination.

Imagine if some girl likes him enough to go for a meal, is the mum going to then nag her and tell her "why are you not having sex with him, he deserves it,go on shag my son!!"

Whole situation is beyond bizarre.
nolongerhearthemusic
I think this sums it up really quite well.
The term "The right to have sex" for me implied that if he didn't get laid soon, Otto B could pick a girl for sex and she'd not have to consent, which is just... wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending