Extenuating/Personal Circumstances for University Appeal Watch

thetopnotch
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey TSR,

I was wondering what the Extenuating/Personal Circumstances for appealing University decisions were and do you know anyone that successfully appealed their decisions?

Cheers
thetopnotch
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
bit of a bump but it's kind of urgent, i need it soon
milesofsea
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They usually say schools should have known about it at the time and told them personally, they wont take your word for it.
good luck though.
Rrules
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
well my nan died last year during exams and i told my uni about it straight away who told me to fill in a extenuating circumstances form and said that they would be taken into consideration and for the exams missed i would be able to them in the summer, however this was noit the case and instead i am now repeating the year, i suggest you get advice form the advice centre and make sure that they are water tight and kepp on reminding your lectureer's course leaders etc
KirstyK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are there any other other reasons you can appeal a university decision?
Chronos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by KirstyK)
Are there any other other reasons you can appeal a university decision?
Totally depends on the university; they don't have a set of standard procedures across U.K. institutions. You'd get the best advice from your Students Union/University Advice Centre/Tutors/etc.
wallflower*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you applying to uni and wanting to appeal a decision to accept/not accept you, or are you at uni and want to appeal something? We can help you more if you tell us what it is that you want to appeal.
siobhan.siobhan
Report 9 years ago
Disability Disrimination Act
if you were physically or mentally ill.
Probably best to ask your school or university as I assume it varies on personal circumstances.
Good luck.
KirstyK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I posted on this thread because I wanted to see the responses for appealing a rejection decision.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I posted on this thread because I wanted to see the responses for appealing a rejection decision.
There is no appeal as such; you can contact the uni and ask for feedback but they don't always give you any useful information, and it's not likely that they'll change their minds.

(Original post by thetopnotch)
x
If you are asking about 'appealing' a rejection, see above. If you mean what extenuating circumstances might be taken into account if you miss an offer, this depends but generally it would be serious illness/major bereavement affecting your studies and exam performance. These would have to be confirmed by your referee or equivalent, and even then it might not make a difference to the outcome.
KirstyK
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Minerva)
There is no appeal as such; you can contact the uni and ask for feedback but they don't always give you any useful information, and it's not likely that they'll change their minds.
Okay. So when I contact the university on Monday, and they give me a reason for my rejection-can I appeal it. And would the grounds of extenuating/personal circumstances you listed still apply? Or is there another way to potentially appeal a decision? / Do universities have a standard proceedure for appeals?
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Okay. So when I contact the university on Monday, and they give me a reason for my rejection-can I appeal it. And would the grounds of extenuating/personal circumstances you listed still apply? Or is there another way to potentially appeal a decision? / Do universities have a standard proceedure for appeals?
No, I'm afraid there is no right of appeal. If the uni says no, the uni says no. Unless you could demonstrate that they have completely failed to deal with your application fairly (very difficult to do) you wouldn't have grounds for a formal complaint either.

It would be very difficult to now ask them to reconsider your application on the basis of extenuating circumstances that were not declared at the time of your application, whatever they were.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.34%
No (202)
72.66%

Watched Threads