Turn on thread page Beta

Travel sickness watch

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I go on long journeys by bus/car I always feel really nauseas and get horrible headaches. I've got a few loooong bus trips planned in the next few months, what would be the best way to get rid of travel sickness in this case? Is there something I can get otc or should I go and see the doctor?

ReputationRep:
    You can get tablets in boots I believe (it's what I used to use, just can't remember the name!), though they do make you sleepy, so useless if you're the one driving.

Other than that, I just used to have something minty, like polos, as the mint apparently helps (and worked pretty well for me!).

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps a pill for the headache; but for the sickness try nibbleing on something ginger, i.e. ginger biscuits :-)
    I am talking nibbleing here, you don't want to gain weight :-)

ReputationRep:
    You can get tablets that prevent travel sickness from a chemist, a couple of brands are Joy Rides and Sturgeon. There's some that I find really good that are pastilles rather than tablets, and they come in a dark blue box... can't for the life of me remember what they're called though D:

Anyway good luck with it, car journeys affect me in the same way so I know how crap it is!

Edit - oh yeah and I agree with LouLou815, polos are good too I always have some on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poorlysparrows)
    You can get tablets that prevent travel sickness from a chemist, a couple of brands are Joy Rides and Sturgeon. There's some that I find really good that are pastilles rather than tablets, and they come in a dark blue box... can't for the life of me remember what they're called though D:

Anyway good luck with it, car journeys affect me in the same way so I know how crap it is!

Edit - oh yeah and I agree with LouLou815, polos are good too I always have some on me.
    Joy Rides! That's the ones, used to be a life saver when I was younger (for some reason i'm no longer as bad as I used to be so don't have to take them anymore )

ReputationRep:
    Apparently looking at the horizon is supposed to help if you suddenly feel overcome with the nausea; it helps me a little. I had it really bad as a kid - had to sit in the front seat othewise I'd be really ill. Nowadays I'm much better - still have some issues being in the back,and occasionally on long journeys too. I tend to just keep a bottle of cold water and some sweets or ginger biccies on hand

I can't remember the name of the tablets we used to use as kids, but they were really chalky and made us very sleepy. They were good though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    Apparently looking at the horizon is supposed to help if you suddenly feel overcome with the nausea; it helps me a little. I had it really bad as a kid - had to sit in the front seat othewise I'd be really ill. Nowadays I'm much better - still have some issues being in the back,and occasionally on long journeys too. I tend to just keep a bottle of cold water and some sweets or ginger biccies on hand
    :yep: Definitely, sit in the front seat and don't turn or move your head too much ... i.e. avoid turning around to talk to folks in the back seat or to the driver.

The trick is to avoid having moving things in front of your eyes and avoid having to focus your eyes on a tiny space (e.g. trying to load a CD into the stereo, or trying to pick up something that fell down to the floorboards).

It helps if you have the wind blowing in your face - i.e. windows wound down. If you're taking a ferry trip, stay outdoors with the wind blowing in your face.

I don't know about ginger biscuits, because that's not commonly available where I live, but preserved dried ginger is. However, I would suggest avoiding preserved dried ginger if your stomach is sensitive to preservatives (like I am).

I once wasted A$160 (and a whole day!) on a day trip to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia because I got seasick - despite chewing on preserved dried ginger! It was a terrible combination of "wind" in the upper stomach and nausea. Urgh! :mad:

Over time, after testing my limits several times, I concluded that 2 hours is my threshold for travelling by sea. Meaning, I can TOLERATE a ferry trip that lasts no more than 2 hours before I get nauseous. By car/coach (express bus), I buy my ticket and book the first passenger seat in front, and make sure i arrive at the coach station in good time to be among the first to board and take my seat.

Hope these tips help!

ReputationRep:
    i suffer from it awfully- 40 minute car journey and i actaully sick so i went to the dr's about it. i now have these patches which worked soooo well, i havent been or felt sick with them on. there a little circle u put behind your ear called Scopoderm TTS (Scopoloamine hyoscine INN) basically you out them on 6 hours before you will travel or earlier- i normally put one on when i go to bed the nite before. They last up to 72 hours so 3 days which is really good if you go on a school trip or something simular. and they have worked completly for me, ive used them over 2 years now when i go for long journeys including 11 uni trips so i would really recomend you going to your GP or nurse (the nurse set me up with mine). feeling travel sick i believe is like the worst feeling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poorlysparrows)

Travelease

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki_louise)
    i suffer from it awfully- 40 minute car journey and i actaully sick so i went to the dr's about it. i now have these patches which worked soooo well, i havent been or felt sick with them on. there a little circle u put behind your ear called Scopoderm TTS (Scopoloamine hyoscine INN) basically you out them on 6 hours before you will travel or earlier- i normally put one on when i go to bed the nite before. They last up to 72 hours so 3 days which is really good if you go on a school trip or something simular. and they have worked completly for me, ive used them over 2 years now when i go for long journeys including 11 uni trips so i would really recomend you going to your GP or nurse (the nurse set me up with mine). feeling travel sick i believe is like the worst feeling
    I've seen "travel sickness bracelets" in the pharmacies ... that work on controlling the meridiens (or something like that).

Personally, I'd rather not have to "eat" anything to avoid travel sickness ... once I was so groggy from Stemetil pills (which I got from the stewardess inflight) that I got lost in an airport I was familiar with and almost missed my connecting flight at the airport! Shivers!

ReputationRep:
    travel sickness occurs because your eyes are telling you one thing (ie you're sat in a car, nothing in the car is moving) but your ears are sensing that you're moving, the brain gets confused and results in travel sickness. so good ways to start combatting it, don't read/look at anything in the car. sit by the window and look out, so you can constantly see you're moving and watch the horizon line. you can buy travel sickness tablets from boots which work by blocking the senses, and are great fun because i find when i walk and i'm "on" them, it feels like i'm walking on air but they really work. i don't find that the bracelet things with pressure points work nor do home remedies, such as ginger and mint. i'm an emetophobic so spend most of my time researching before i go on a boat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3thr3e)
    Travelease
    That's the one! Haha. They're awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I have awful travel sickness and the dooctor prescribed me some good pills for it called cyclizine or something.
    so my advise is go see the doc

ReputationRep:
    You can also get tablets from your pharmacy - there are a few choices so you can decide which suits you best.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seabird)
    travel sickness occurs because your eyes are telling you one thing (ie you're sat in a car, nothing in the car is moving) but your ears are sensing that you're moving, the brain gets confused and results in travel sickness. so good ways to start combatting it, don't read/look at anything in the car. sit by the window and look out, so you can constantly see you're moving and watch the horizon line. you can buy travel sickness tablets from boots which work by blocking the senses, and are great fun because i find when i walk and i'm "on" them, it feels like i'm walking on air but they really work. i don't find that the bracelet things with pressure points work nor do home remedies, such as ginger and mint. i'm an emetophobic so spend most of my time researching before i go on a boat!
    B: That doesn't work for me at all. It only worsens the scenario, especially if I'm on air or at sea. I remember once watching the waves triggered my claustrophobia and consequently made me feel green in the stomach. Not good.

I get those on road motion sickness as well, and what I find works for me is listening to the music whilst chewing gum. That really helps ease my nausea if you'd rather refrain yourself from taking any painkillers. If not, paracetamols work just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Sea Bands ftw
    Haven't thrown up since I got them. (Although I do still feel slightly nauseous still if there are choppy seas or winding, hilly roads)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret santa)
    I get those on road motion sickness as well, and what I find works for me is listening to the music whilst chewing gum. That really helps ease my nausea if you'd rather refrain yourself from taking any painkillers. If not, paracetamols work just fine.
    Huh? You can take painkillers for nausea? Surely that's not right??? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyncici)
    Huh? You can take painkillers for nausea? Surely that's not right??? :eek3:
    Nah, I was referring to headaches. Soz for the confusion. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret santa)
    Nah, I was referring to headaches. Soz for the confusion. :o:
    Haha2! :p: It's okay, as long as you're not confused! :yep: Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I just noticed the extra rep jewel! :woo: Thanks, Secret Santa! :yes:

Turns out that I have been directly clicking on the "Who quoted me" and "Watched thread" on the right without scrolling the first page all the way down! :facepalm: Ah, newbie, newbie me!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2009
Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.