Turn on thread page Beta

Has the '12A' rating allowed children to be exposed to more violence? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my A Level Media Critical Research paper on the introduction of the '12A' rating - so would really like to hear your opinions.

I feel this has become more of an issue recently with the release of 'The Dark Knight' which was given the '12A' rating, despite the BBFC receiving many complaints from parents who had found it grossly unsuitable for children of this age, and believed it should have been given a '15' rating.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I saw saving private ryan when i was about 9... as well as the thin red line... ratings are pretty useless.

ReputationRep:
    What does 12A mean? Do they have to be accompanied by a parent? if so I dont see the problem

ReputationRep:
    Well no because lets not forgot the A stands for adult and so the adult concerned is responsible for allowing the child to watch it, so it's their fault.

I don't think they have become more exposed as their parents are still likely to stop them watching it if they don't want them to.

For example for people who complained about 'The Dark Knight' are stupid because it's not like their kids can walk in to the conema and go an watch it on their own.

Hope I helped...

ReputationRep:
    I watched RoboCop when I was 5.

So far, I have not killed anyone.

ReputationRep:
    I think people who complain about films and games need to get a life.

ReputationRep:
    It has in a way, but it could be argued that children are exposed to real life violence at a much younger age nowadays, therefore films prepare them etc. Of course, there are the odd exceptions when ratings are judged wrongly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    I watched RoboCop when I was 5.

So far, I have not killed anyone.
    I remember my grandma showed me that when I was about that ages to ahaha she didn't know what it was bless her

ReputationRep:
    I remember my little brother who was 10 at the time not being allowed to see Spiderman as it was a 12, despite the fact that we knew that two months later we would buy the DVD and he would watch it anyway. A lot of films had to be classified 12 but were suitable for younger kids, if parents are worried they need to read the reviews and make a decision based on how scary they think their children are going to find it. Harry Potter for example has a great following of 12 year olds and under, and the last few films have been a 12A, if they had been a 12 a lot of children wouldn't have been able to see it and would have been disappointed (also cinemas would have lost a lot of money...)

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.