Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am self-teaching Sociology, and taking the whole A level in June so I haven't had any input on my work from teachers.

I just wondered what your top tips were for getting an A in the subject, besides the obvious doing past papers!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just remember as many sociologists as possible, combine and link with topics, practice papers and then you're all sorted! It's not too hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-Man!)
    Just remember as many sociologists as possible, combine and link with topics, practice papers and then you're all sorted! It's not too hard.
    Cool thanks

I'm from Kent too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vixky!)
    Cool thanks

I'm from Kent too!
    Haha well observed!

And I wish people would realise that Sociology is NOT a soft subject, some criticise it for being too easy but my god, it IS respected by universities.

ReputationRep:
    it can't be that hard tbh

so many people in my year got As or close to As im comparison to psychology where the greatest grade was only BsCs

ReputationRep:
    Don't give your own opinion. they don't care about your opinion.
    other than that...remember sociologists, practise exam style...read examples of these things in different cultures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsi101)

so many people in my year got A's or close to A's im comparison to psychology where the greatest grade was only BsCs
    Well that's just lovely, but unfortunately it is of no help to me and therefore a pointless reply.

ReputationRep:
    Haha well observed!

And I wish people would realise that Sociology is NOT a soft subject, some criticise it for being too easy but my god, it IS respected by universities.
    Kent ftw.

I agree, I don't see why people think it's a soft subject. People are too concerned with that in my opinion, if you get a good grade in any A level, that's great.

It's LSE's fault for having it on their "limited suitability" list. No one cares apart from them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know plenty of people who have got into Oxford with sociology for competitive subjects such as English.
    And yeah Kent is lovely - damn google street view for not including it at all!
    Ooh I saw someone on Facebook complaining about Google Street View, but I didn't know what it was. Maybe this is why... I'm going to investigate!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know plenty of people who have got into Oxford with sociology for competitive subjects such as English.
    And yeah Kent is lovely - damn google street view for not including it at all!
    really? my house is on google earth, though i just about live in Kent

ReputationRep:
    Haha well observed!

Thank you Durkheim/Marx/Weber didn't come up with it overnight! Yes its easy for some, but some people find it hard. Just like Maths is easy for some, and difficult for others.

I am self-teaching Sociology, and taking the whole A level in June so I haven't had any input on my work from teachers.

I just wondered what your top tips were for getting an A in the subject, besides the obvious doing past papers!

Thanks
    OP the key to doing well in Sociology is to obviously learn all the theories/theorists etc and then just keep doing practise papers...literally all of them...till you get sick of them! (thats what I did) The questions tend to repeat themselves over the years and they usually change the wording around a bit, but it's pretty easy to guess what topic will come up in the main essay question. For the big essay questions come up with a loose structure of how you're going to address the question, i.e. if the question is a statement "Assess the view that blah blah...." theories for/theories against....studies/data to support your arguments.

Also, learn loads of studies, they earn you loads of marks for AO1 as well as evaluating for AO2 (everyone in my year seems to remember the Tearoom study from the good ol' days of AS) . Are you doing the new spec OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsi101)

so many people in my year got As or close to As im comparison to psychology where the greatest grade was only BsCs
    I understand your point, I personally find it okay, not easy, because if I found it easy I wouldn't bother revising for it. But not everyone will find a subject easy, one subject thats easy for one person won't necessarily be easy for someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ѕнαℓiηα)
    Thank you Durkheim/Marx/Weber didn't come up with it overnight! Yes its easy for some, but some people find it hard. Just like Maths is easy for some, and difficult for others.

OP the key to doing well in Sociology is to obviously learn all the theories/theorists etc and then just keep doing practise papers...literally all of them...till you get sick of them! (thats what I did) The questions tend to repeat themselves over the years and they usually change the wording around a bit, but it's pretty easy to guess what topic will come up in the main essay question. For the big essay questions come up with a loose structure of how you're going to address the question, i.e. if the question is a statement "Assess the view that blah blah...." theories for/theories against....studies/data to support your arguments.

Also, learn loads of studies, they earn you loads of marks for AO1 as well as evaluating for AO2 (everyone in my year seems to remember the Tearoom study from the good ol' days of AS) . Are you doing the new spec OP?
    Brilliant! Thanks for your help

I'm doing the old spec, which was probably a really stupid move as I now have no chance to retake but I wanted to get it out of the way as I'm doing 2 more subjects next year when I apply for uni (mature student here!).

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant! Thanks for your help

I'm doing the old spec, which was probably a really stupid move as I now have no chance to retake but I wanted to get it out of the way as I'm doing 2 more subjects next year when I apply for uni (mature student here!).
    Oooh yay! The old spec is awesome! PM if you want any help/advice I can send you some notes/essays if you want.

Are you doing both AS and A2 in one year...and is it with AQA?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the new spec, but there isn't too much difference. Studies are intensely important - for example, for Functionalist view of culture use Fox's queuing study to back it up, Charlesworth for the underclass and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ѕнαℓiηα)
    Oooh yay! The old spec is awesome! PM if you want any help/advice I can send you some notes/essays if you want.

Are you doing both AS and A2 in one year...and is it with AQA?
    Ooh thanks, I'll let you know if I have any questions about it. I'm mostly worried about exam technique because obviously I'd had none of my essays marked!

I am doing both, and yep with AQA!

ReputationRep:
    Learn all of the sociologists names and what they said!

Seriously, this is vital. On top of that, just make sure you understand all the theories and criticisms of those theories. And practice papers are vital!

ReputationRep:
    basically what everyone said
    it's very much essay based
    are you doing cwk?

Personally, while sociology isnt the most demanding subject
    i find the content massive [but interesting]
    say learn all the sociologists and what they say

there is EASILY about 60 different names to learn and one liners in each module

if you're taking it all in 1 June, god i pray for you
    Also, i find the time given is a bit tight- you need to spin ideas and names and link everything off your head to stay ahead of the time.

=]

ReputationRep:
    Ooh thanks, I'll let you know if I have any questions about it. I'm mostly worried about exam technique because obviously I'd had none of my essays marked!

I am doing both, and yep with AQA!
    AQA :cool: i'm sure you'll be fine with exam technique, if you're good with essays in general im sure you'll find this okay. my teacher last year wasn't that great and didn't do much marking so i just self marked my essays using the mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHA I just saw your neg rep Malsi101. I love the spoiler with SNIDY written in it. I'm starting to think you are just joking with me. I thought you were some pathetic weirdo with too much time on his hands, but surely no one would be THIS bad? Seriously

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 26, 2009

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.