The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i really hope the VC doesnt back down, they are hurting no one but themselves.
so what if a few tutorials and lectures have to be rearranged, we dont.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 21
This could've been done much more effectively. The University has the right to remain apolitical, where or not this goes against morality irrelevant. The uni itself is about education, on the other hand the Union is a political institution - represents the interests of students naturally.

So really, these guys could've occupied the gallery, and they would have a lot more banner space. Also, they could've hung a banner on the bridge above the concourse, and even going further by setting up tents under the bridge (effective 'occupying' the concourse). If they had done this, then I would've supported the occupation.
Essence™
This could've been done much more effectively. The University has the right to remain apolitical, where or not this goes against morality irrelevant. The uni itself is about education, on the other hand the Union is a political institution - represents the interests of students naturally.

So really, these guys could've occupied the gallery, and they would have a lot more banner space. Also, they could've hung a banner on the bridge above the concourse, and even going further by setting up tents under the bridge (effective 'occupying' the concourse). If they had done this, then I would've supported the occupation.

I agree, I think occupying the gallery would have been much more constructive, although I can see why they would be worried that it would have the same dramatic effect.
The thing that annoys me most is that allegedly some of the 'occupiers' are not even bloody students. There's one simple thing, they care that much about Gaza why aren't they out there helping with aid etc.

For what it's worth I'm against the occupation of Gaza, but it's not the place of anyone who's in this country, living here etc to moan about the whole thing, it really is not my business and these protests achieve nothing. I hope the VC sticks with his guns and doesn't back down.

I guess it's not quite as bad as the idea of banning the armed forces from campus, that really was a daft idea.
Reply 24
are they still there?
the banners werent up today?
Apparently they have moved into the Jessop building entirely after being threatened by a court order for their removal.
Reply 26
the no entry signs on the hicks building were still there?
and i got an email about another moved tutorial?
Its just what I had heard. :dunno:
Reply 28
inferiormadbeing
Apparently they have moved into the Jessop building entirely after being threatened by a court order for their removal.

It's standard practice for occupations to move from building to building, thus requiring an entirely new legal action to remove them. In theory, they could keep doing it indefinitely.
Dionysus
It's standard practice for occupations to move from building to building, thus requiring an entirely new legal action to remove them. In theory, they could keep doing it indefinitely.

I'm not an experienced building occupier alas. :p:

Wait til they get in the Paternoster then we'll see a reaction from the main student body. :wink:
Reply 30
inferiormadbeing
I'm not an experienced building occupier alas. :p:

Wait til they get in the Paternoster then we'll see a reaction from the main student body. :wink:

i didnt realise those wires in the paternosta were emergency chords i pulled it in the first week and alarms started going off.
Brilliant. :p:
Reply 32
I have to say the people handing out leaflets on the concourse re: Gaza all seem particularly grumpy and un-enthusiastic people.

I thought the sign saying something about 'Stop the university arming Israel' a bit ironic. As if our university is the key force behind arming Israel, methinks there are others far more responsible.
Reply 33
By occupying, what are they actually doing? Are they physically stopping people from entering the buildings? Are they sat in lecture theatres disrupting lectures?

My girlfriend had a lecture moved due to this. I also read a letter (might be the one above, I didn't read it) that suggested those occupying will be dismissed from University. I think that's a satisfactory punishment if they have been warned.
Creepy
By occupying, what are they actually doing? Are they physically stopping people from entering the buildings? Are they sat in lecture theatres disrupting lectures?

My girlfriend had a lecture moved due to this. I also read a letter (might be the one above, I didn't read it) that suggested those occupying will be dismissed from University. I think that's a satisfactory punishment if they have been warned.

As far as I know they are just being there, not actively causing disruption but lecturers are refusing to lecture there because of extra people in the room or something like that.
Reply 35
inferiormadbeing
As far as I know they are just being there, not actively causing disruption but lecturers are refusing to lecture there because of extra people in the room or something like that.

That sounds very strange.
Fortunately it hasn't affected me but my housemates who does maths has had lots of lectures moved. :s-smilie:
Reply 37
i do maths and im looking at a meeting with the head of maths for missing a tutorial because i couldnt find where i was suposed to be.
on the plus side we wasted about ten minutes of our seminar today explaining to our slightly bemused tutor what all the protesters were doing and what they wanted...
better than discussing the political theories of Hobbes anyway
im glad i dont have lectures in that bit of the hicks building this semester.

They're taking the piss a bit claiming lectures could still be held in the lecture theatres they were in, surely? given that there's often not many (if any) spare seats, and that they'd covered the blackboards in propaganda and were painting banners on the floor... and that a big group of people who don't intend to learn anything from the lecture sitting there is bound to be disruptive whether they're protesters or just lazy maths/physics students.

I'm shocked at the demands they're making, so unreasonable. Personally i dislike the one about them suffering no repercussions... theyre willing to make other students suffer, but god forbid they have any suffering imposed on them for their own cause. Alright... maybe i'm being a bit overdramatic!

I recommend joining a friend of mine's piss take group of planning to occupy the mappin building in a show of solidarity with the students forced out of their lecture theatres...
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=59013057851&ref=ts