The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
GodspeedGehenna
This is utterly pointless.

No point debating with someone who refuses to acknowledge absolute tons of empirical research because of their unfounded "beliefs". That's just banging your head against a brick wall.

I truely hope that nobody close to you falls into that life-destroying pit of psychosis, lest you deem them as "misbehaving". I hope one day your eyes are actually opened to the amount of suffering and misery that mental illness can bring.

Well, thank you. And thanks for dropping from the one person on this thread offering a reasoned discussion without insult, to the same level as the others. :smile:
JMonkey
OCD well it's code for badly behaved beyond just the norm. But it still is wise to treat it rather than end up with some kid who sets fire to things for fun.

Ignorant prick. You don't have a clue what you're on about.

OCD has NOTHING to do with bad behaviour.
Reply 82
JMonkey
I've seen better arguments to support the existence of God than your arguments, belief is a poor substitute for education. In future I suggest you keep your half arsed notions to yourself unless you know what you are talking about. You are entitled to any opinion you want, even if it is preposterous. But a valid argument would be a good place to start not an ill conceived anecdotal opinion.

:ottid:

Why keep my beliefs to myself in a thread asking for personal opinion?
cpj1987
I believe that all behaviour is moulded by nurture. I don't believe that behaviours need changing, but if someones behaviour is impacting on their ability to live their life happily then deeper root causes must be considered - through counselling, perhaps. I'm all for people visiting GPs if they're struggling to deal with a behaviour, but I'm against classification and diagnosis because every person is different and behaviours don't need medical names.
Personally, I had a number of what could have been labelled 'mental illnesses' when I was younger; but they were natural reactions to what was going on in my life.
My brother has diagnosed dyslexia, and I think the key here is to foster good spelling - pointing out when he makes mistakes and teaching him how to spell properly, rather than resigning him to the fact that it's a mental illness and he'll never learn to spell properly, which really isn't the case (the reason I also disagree strongly with extra time in exams).
I may have gone off on a tangent here, but as I said earlier, I just really don't believe in the existence of 'mental health PROBLEMS', more conditions and behaviours that can be changed with a new mindset.
You naivety is astounding, I have to say.

Having been brought up with a sister who quite clearly does not manage to maintain the same 'behaviour' as you put it, no matter how hard she may try, I can only think that your opinion is based on a lack of experience. Dyslexia as most people have said, is not a mental illness, it's a learning disability - which, with the right treatment, can be improved upon and a new 'behaviour' can be learned.

However, going back to real mental illnesses, it's clear that you've never come across someone who is clearly mentally unwell. My sister, no matter how much I love her (and I do), her brain does not function correctly. There is (and it is a proven fact) a link missing in part of her brain, that change her 'behaviour' to something that is not healthy, or normal. She is mentally unstable and this is an illness. It is not something that can be cured with therapy. Medication helps, as it reacts with the parts of the brain that work normally in people who do not have ADHD - but again, this isn't some 'learned behaviour' - her brain is not the same. It's quite simple really. It really is as simple as saying 'she's just not wired correctly' - that's how it is.

I know that what I'm saying will have no effect on your opinions, and that's fine. But, it does irritate me when people with very little experience or knowledge of mental illnesses spout off rubbish like 'it's nuture', when it's quite clear to the entire medical world, that is indeed, nature. People are born with mental illnesses.
Reply 84
Danny_777
Ignorant prick. You don't have a clue what you're on about.

OCD has NOTHING to do with bad behaviour.

I read that as ADD for some reason, probably dyslexia.
cpj1987
Well, thank you. And thanks for dropping from the one person on this thread offering a reasoned discussion without insult, to the same level as the others. :smile:

This is just classic 'you' isn't it? Make a stupid, ignorant argument and then ignore all the posts that completely disprove everything you've said and show you to be unintelligent.

Otherwise, answer this instead of ignoring it just because it proves you wrong:

GodspeedGehenna
So you believe that a Schizophrenic is just "misbehaved"? So how do you explain the physiological differences such as abnormal neural activity in the frontal lobes, obviously increased ventricle sizes of the brain as well as various other differences.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/disease.htm

Damn those naughty Schizophrenics for being so misbehaved.

:rolleyes:

So seeing as you seem to want to dispute neurological evidence, do you assume that diseases such as Parkinsons, Alzheimers and Dementia are just "behaviours" as opposed to medical conditions? I believe someone needs to spend some time on an acute psych ward and meet some of these people yourself.
Reply 86
GodspeedGehenna
That's a pretty retarded and ill-thought out concept. What if someone progresses to the stage of illness where they no longer have the capacity to make such logical judgements about their own health. Schizophrenics often have a complete poverty in the ability to accept overwhelming evidence against their condition: i.e. "The TV is not talking to you. Here are reasons why, how do you dispute these reasons?" will only be responded by "THE TV IS TALKING TO ME. IT TELLS ME TO DO THIS, THIS AND THIS. I AM NOT ILL, I HAVE A MISSION TO DO." (obviously these behaviours differ, but this is a common one for paranoid schizophrenics, none-the-less).

You cannot lable someone, or force them to admit that they are "ill" if they do not feel ill or are happy with their life. From pure observation, someone may appear to be acting very strangely and to be in discomfort, but if they truely feel content within themselves then why would they need help? Are they not more of a problem for soceity than a problem for themselves?

Ofcourse, as you say, a schizophrenic person may actually be very unhappy in their situation but not acknowledge that they have an illness. I don't know, however, how this is any different from a "sane" person feeling unhappy. We can acknowledge that schizophrenic people are thinking in a different way to us. Why not help them to live with the illness and make them happy relative to their own state of mind rather than trying to bring them to a level of "sanity" that they won't be able to achieve? Society may only be a very stressful place for a schizophrenic person because it is built around people of a very similiar or "normal" mental state. This is where "mental illness" becomes apparent. The ability of a person to be able tofit into society.

Society should fit around the varying states of mind rather than the other way round.

So according to your theory, the person above should just be left to drown in their psychosis for the rest of their lives.

Everyone is wired into their own perception of the world. Just because schizophrenics are very different in their perception compared to ours doesn't mean that they can't live with it. Wouldn't it be better for a schizophrenic person to be respected and listened to rather than pumped full of drugs? Where do you even draw the line between "ecentric" and "needs help"? Is it the person who has a problem or society who cannot deal with such a different state of mind?

In your post, you addressed one of the major issues of Clinical Psychology/Psychiatry. "How do we decide who is ill and who isnt?". Obviously this is something that has plagued the discipline since the early 19th century. Yes, there is no "normal" person as you say, but would you do an experiment using a 1 participant sample and say it extrapolates to the entire population? No, you wouldn't. Hence the discipline bases its catagories of illness based on statistical deviation of behaviours. Incredibly roughly speaking, you get tons and tons of people, quantify their behaviours, and average it out to get the "normal" person on which to form comparisons. You then assume that mental abnormalities are statistically deviant and will therefore significantly differ from the comparitive model.

Why is there a need to look for the "norm"? More "mental illnesses" are created the more we narrow the gap between sanity and insanity. Every person should be asessed individually, relative to their own needs. Ofcourse, it's too hard to do such a thing so doctors come up with catagories that fit people of a roughly similiar traits.

Then based on a shedload of clinical experience, understanding and logic, you determine whether or not a person does meet the definitions of mental illness (which introduces various catagories such as level of suffering, observer discomfort, potency of beliefs etc etc).

Isn't it more like, meets the definitions of "can't be catered for by society so needs to adapt"?
I was diagnosed with Manic Depression (I prefer that name, that's what I am I'm not bloody bi-polar :p:).

If you want to believe that I enjoy being awake for 4-5 days when I am manic and unable to get the energy to move when I am depressed. Then so be it.

If you want to believe that when at my worst I chose to suffer both auditory and visual hallucinations, consisting of hearing voices and seeing people skin peeling off as I walked around my home town. Then so be it.

If you want to believe I chose to chase my mum around the house with a carving knife because I needed to get the demons out of her. Then so be it.

If you want to believe that when I apply for a job I have to tell people I was in prison for three months not in a secure hospital simply because most employers would rather hire an ex-prisoner than someone with mental health problems. Then so be it.

If you want to believe that I want to take so many pills that when I run I rattle, pills that can make your hair fall out, that if you get the dosage wrong can be toxic, that can make your hands shake uncontrollably, that can make you vomit and mean that you spend your life stuck in the middle no massive highs no massive lows. Then so be it.

I am now much better I take my medication and have fulfilling job and am enjoying my life. my friends accept that I can sometime be hurtful and cruel but also that I care so much about each and everyone of them I could never mean a word of it.

People offer their condolences to me when I tell them. I tell them I'm not dead I am as alive as them it just means I have to accept that I have slightly larger hurdles to clear. I would not change a thing about the way I am.

To those of you who think that coming on here telling people that mental health illnesses aren't real then you are the ones needing my sympathy. If your life is so empty that this is how you entertain yourselves then I pity you.

Any way enough of the crap stuff i'm off to play in the park. :woo: :woo:

Stephen Fry Manic Depression Documentary Watch it NOW!!!!
Reply 88
cpj1987
Why keep my beliefs to myself in a thread asking for personal opinion?

I didn't say that. I said make a valid argument, not an anecdotal miasma of ignorance and supposition based on nothing. Like I say you can have any opinion you want even if it is stupid.
cpj1987

Well, you're an idiot. It's clear to eveyone here. I don't know why you can't see it when everyone has pointed out just how stupid you are and completely proved you wrong.
Reply 90
As someone with bipolor i can say that yes, its a real condition, though i wouldnt get rid of it and have never met someone with bipolor who would.
cpj1987

Well, you're an idiot. It's clear to eveyone here. I don't know why you can't see it when everyone has pointed out just how stupid you are and completely proved you wrong.

It's just that you're frustrating us with your idiocy. Perhaps if you were vaguely intelligent, we'd have a reasonable discussion with you.

You can couch a stupid point in 'reasonable' and friendly terms all you like, and write it as nicely as you like, but at the end of the day it's still a stupid point.
edanon
You cannot lable someone, or force them to admit that they are "ill" if they do not feel ill or are happy with their life.

Please introduce me to the people who are happy living a Schizophrenic, Phobic, Anorexic, Bulimic, OCD lifestyle. I can't say I've ever met a single one.

edanon
From pure observation, someone may appear to be acting very strangely and to be in discomfort, but if they truely feel content within themselves then why would they need help? Are they not more of a problem for soceity than a problem for themselves?

Again, see above. You'll also find that a typical Schizophrenic, if lacking the support of dedicated families, will end up losing their job and either become homeless or end up locking themselves in a squalored state-funded flat. (See Drift Hypothesis). I would hardly describe these people as being a "problem to society" in the sense that "the man has to keep them down". Most of the time they are forgotten and swept to the gutter, never to be seen by the light of day.

edanon
Ofcourse, as you say, a schizophrenic person may actually be very unhappy in their situation but not acknowledge that they have an illness. I don't know, however, how this is any different from a "sane" person feeling unhappy.

It differs in the fact that someone who is merely unhappy still has their grip on reality and is thus able to seek help if they desire to do so. This is the luxury of being sane.

edanon
We can acknowledge that schizophrenic people are thinking in a different way to us. Why not help them to live with the illness and make them happy relative to their own state of mind rather than trying to bring them to a level of "sanity" that they won't be able to achieve?

How can you help someone to live with utmost paranoia and delusions of organizing meetings with the pope and satan to solve world hostilities without attempting to offer them a hand out of the dark consuming pit of insanity? You can't. It's the only mode of helping that doesn't just involve warehousing them away where their delusions are humored by members of staff. Schizophrenics CAN acheive sanity. Statistically, one third fully recovers, one third will manage to control their symptoms enough to continue with their lives, and a third will unfortunately never see sanity again. That's two thirds of the group potentially being able to live a life of quality.

edanon
Society may only be a very stressful place for a schizophrenic person because it is built around people of a very similiar or "normal" mental state. This is where "mental illness" becomes apparent. The ability of a person to be able tofit into society.

Society should fit around the varying states of mind rather than the other way round.

If only. This would be absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, the world is an incredibly cruel and judging place. This just isn't going to happen.

edanon
Wouldn't it be better for a schizophrenic person to be respected and listened to rather than pumped full of drugs? Where do you even draw the line between "ecentric" and "needs help"? Is it the person who has a problem or society who cannot deal with such a different state of mind?

Yes, Schizophrenics should be given the respect that any human being deserves. This is an essential part of recovery. However, many of these people are unfortunately so deluded and distant from reality that they cannot even face any kind of recovery. Some to the extent that they are in pure catatonia. Meds are needed to build a foundation and offer the very weak grip on reality that is needed to introduce sanity back into their lives via respect, understanding and dedicated counselling. Imagine trying to find a lightswitch in a massive room in the pitch black. It's pretty much impossible unless you know the room. Meds offer the flashlight that provides the small amount of light to find the lightswitch.

The line is drawn by levels of suffering. Again see my previous post on statistical deviance. If you have an alternative, I'm sure the discipline of Clinical Psychology and Psychiatry would love to hear it.

edanon
Why is there a need to look for the "norm"? More "mental illnesses" are created the more we narrow the gap between sanity and insanity. Every person should be asessed individually, relative to their own needs. Ofcourse, it's too hard to do such a thing so doctors come up with catagories that fit people of a roughly similiar traits.

Yes, I agree with you 100% here. It's damn tough though, but people are sure as hell trying.
Reply 93
Danny_777
This is just classic 'you' isn't it? Make a stupid, ignorant argument and then ignore all the posts that completely disprove everything you've said and show you to be unintelligent.

Otherwise, answer this instead of ignoring it just because it proves you wrong:

I did respond to that question; I then received another response which I was going to question (from Godspeed, about the MRI scans), but then noticed a further post from Godspeed lower down the page considering it pointless to continue the discussion with me, so I stopped.
Reply 94
GodspeedGehenna
Please introduce me to the people who are happy living a Schizophrenic, Phobic, Anorexic, Bulimic, OCD lifestyle. I can't say I've ever met a single one.

Again, see above. You'll also find that a typical Schizophrenic, if lacking the support of dedicated families, will end up losing their job and either become homeless or end up locking themselves in a squalored state-funded flat. (See Drift Hypothesis). I would hardly describe these people as being a "problem to society" in the sense that "the man has to keep them down". Most of the time they are forgotten and swept to the gutter, never to be seen by the light of day.

It differs in the fact that someone who is merely unhappy still has their grip on reality and is thus able to seek help if they desire to do so. This is the luxury of being sane.

How can you help someone to live with utmost paranoia and delusions of organizing meetings with the pope and satan to solve world hostilities without attempting to offer them a hand out of the dark consuming pit of insanity? You can't. It's the only mode of helping that doesn't just involve warehousing them away where their delusions are humored by members of staff. Schizophrenics CAN acheive sanity. Statistically, one third fully recovers, one third will manage to control their symptoms enough to continue with their lives, and a third will unfortunately never see sanity again. That's two thirds of the group potentially being able to live a life of quality.

If only. This would be absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, the world is an incredibly cruel and judging place. This just isn't going to happen.

Yes, Schizophrenics should be given the respect that any human being deserves. This is an essential part of recovery. However, many of these people are unfortunately so deluded and distant from reality that they cannot even face any kind of recovery. Some to the extent that they are in pure catatonia. Meds are needed to build a foundation and offer the very weak grip on reality that is needed to introduce sanity back into their lives via respect, understanding and dedicated counselling. Imagine trying to find a lightswitch in a massive room in the pitch black. It's pretty much impossible unless you know the room. Meds offer the flashlight that provides the small amount of light to find the lightswitch.

The line is drawn by levels of suffering. Again see my previous post on statistical deviance. If you have an alternative, I'm sure the discipline of Clinical Psychology and Psychiatry would love to hear it.

Yes, I agree with you 100% here. It's damn tough though, but people are sure as hell trying.

Well you seem pretty educated in the subject so i can't disagree really.
Reply 95
generalebriety
Idiot.

^ got it in one
Reply 96
JMonkey
I didn't say that. I said make a valid argument, not an anecdotal miasma of ignorance and supposition based on nothing. Like I say you can have any opinion you want even if it is stupid.

I wasn't in this thread to argue, I was in it to state an opinion and give my reasons FOR that opinion if requested. I'm not going to argue something, or rebutt the points of others, in areas that they're more educated in than I am. I don't have a degree in medical psychology, so I don't see how you can expect me to go into such detailed arguments.
cpj1987
I just don't believe that they're medical conditions. I accept that those behaviours exist of course (unlike the OP, who thinks they're faked), but I see them simply as being behaviours.
I just don't see why everything needs to be diagnosed and given a medical name, when it's simply a trait or behaviour - and I certainly don't think diagnoses (and thus following self-fulfilling prophecies and drug prescription) are the right way to go about changing behaviours.

Why do you think it's purely a behavioural thing when there is plenty of evidence in the medical journals to point towards a genetic or physical causes as well?

I can assure you the terrifying dissociations I experience are not purely a behaviour thing, when I see the walls falling down it's not a behaviour thing or trait, when I suddenly forgot the passage of time along with memories that occurred during it is not a behaviour thing or trait.

People like you are insulting.
Reply 98
laroux555
Or do you think people just use them as an excuse.
For example, someone in my school pretends he has dyslexia so he gets more time in exams, but he blatantly doesn't have dyslexia..:frown:

I think you answered your own question by saying this dude doesn't have dyslexia...
Reply 99
fire2burn
Why do you think it's purely a behavioural thing when there is plenty of evidence in the medical journals to point towards a genetic or physical causes as well?

I've not read medical journals.

Latest

Trending

Trending