I can't pass this Foundation Year :-( Watch

The Procrastinator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
God help me, why the feck did I choose Chemistry??
I was doing Biology and Chemistry foundation year but I'm not very good at the Chemistry because of the Maths that is involved. Anyway I changed to Biology and English at the start of this year. I had failed my Chemistry exam and a bit of work...but I have to redo it and PASS even though I am not doing it anymore ;-( Whatever little Chemistry I did learn has completly evaporated from my mind and I just don't want to do it. I thought I could just swap courses and everything will be fine.

Has anyone else had this experience on a Foundation Year??

Also say I have to redo this Foundation Year, I would be on my second year of government funding, leaving 3 years left so I wouldn't be able to mess up the proper degree. This worries me alot because I wouldn't have the money to suppost myself through uni. Do Foundation Year people get extra funding becasue of the extra year they do??

Please any advice is welcome
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
Anyone??
xxxchrisxxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
why dont you get in touch with your personal tutor and tell him you need help with the coming chemistry exam and ask if there is someone, like a postgrad, who could help you study the material?

correct me if im wrong but foundation year chemistry probably covers the same basic stuff as that in gcse or A level. maybe you could grab a few gcse/ A level chemistry books as they explain them in a less daunting way. ask for past papers and put the information in the context of the exam.

shift your focus from failing/repeating the year to relearning what you need to know for the time being.
Xang Lee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It says on your profile that you've attended three different university courses? And now you're considering repeating a year?

Do you honestly expect tax payers to fund you even further?

Jesus christ, the nerve on some people.
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
I know a few students in this kind of position at my university (on a foundation year course in chemistry), as xxxchrisxxx said the best thing to do is let your personal tutor know that you're struggling - they may be able to help. For example my university pays postgrads to help struggling students by having one-to-one tutorials, there may be something similar where you are.

If you continue to struggle despite putting in much effort and fail the foundation year I honestly wouldn't suggest repeating it, in my experience those who do repeat and pass the second time end up failing and repeating the first year too and this can become very expensive very quickly.
I have told my personal tutor I am struggling, but all she says is, "well you have to pass it" that isn't helpful one bit. I will try the post graduate thing though, but I actualy feel incapable of the maths and chemistry.

If I did have to repeat the year there is no way in hell I would be doing Chemitry. Just biology and english like I am doing now. I feel I am good at those subjects so when I go onto the normal degree in those subjects I have a good chance of actualy passing because I am interested in them. I just want a way out of the chemistry. It was a mistake to do that.

Thanks for your reply
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xang Lee)
It says on your profile that you've attended three different university courses? And now you're considering repeating a year?

Do you honestly expect tax payers to fund you even further?

Jesus christ, the nerve on some people.
Hang on there a minute. I never even went to Chester uni, I just registered the one day but decided it wasn't for me. I went to Keele straight away and started a proper degree of Biology and Psychology for about 2 weeks and wasn't sure I made the right decision so I started a Foundation year. This is all in the space of about a month so I havn't had an extra money. I'm have got the same amount as anyone else in their first year.

If anything I don't want to have to borry anymore than I have to, I just don't want to be stuck in some degree I have no interest for. I went on the foundation year because I thought swapping and changing courses was a doddle...or so I was told.
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by xxxchrisxxx)
why dont you get in touch with your personal tutor and tell him you need help with the coming chemistry exam and ask if there is someone, like a postgrad, who could help you study the material?

correct me if im wrong but foundation year chemistry probably covers the same basic stuff as that in gcse or A level. maybe you could grab a few gcse/ A level chemistry books as they explain them in a less daunting way. ask for past papers and put the information in the context of the exam.

shift your focus from failing/repeating the year to relearning what you need to know for the time being.
Yeah I think I will try this, but if no help is available it's all going to go wrong
You are wrong about the foundation year being like GCSE's and I think A levels. I never did A levels so can't say for that. At the start I found it quite easy and thought I would sail through....I was so wrong. I just can't get my head around the stuff. Being crap at maths doesn't help either.

It's so annoying, Im not even doing chesmistry anymore but I still have to redo that sodding exam :mad:
Thanks for your reply
βored
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Procrastinator)
I have told my personal tutor I am struggling, but all she says is, "well you have to pass it" that isn't helpful one bit. I will try the post graduate thing though, but I actualy feel incapable of the maths and chemistry.

If I did have to repeat the year there is no way in hell I would be doing Chemitry. Just biology and english like I am doing now. I feel I am good at those subjects so when I go onto the normal degree in those subjects I have a good chance of actualy passing because I am interested in them. I just want a way out of the chemistry. It was a mistake to do that.

Thanks for your reply
Are you considering Biology at university next year? because there is a substantial amount of Chemistry involved in a biology degree, a lot more than I expected tbh.
The Procrastinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by βored)
Are you considering Biology at university next year? because there is a substantial amount of Chemistry involved in a biology degree, a lot more than I expected tbh.
Well it isn't going to be as bad as doing chemistry degree. I like biology and I will suffer the chemistry when I get to it.
Thanks for the heads up though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (79)
26.69%
No (217)
73.31%

Watched Threads