Need help with Excel or SPSS Watch

Freckles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey there...

Okay, firstly, I have no idea how this is going to work, so please bear with me.. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

So basically, I have created this online questionaire, which a whole lot of people have filled in and I am now trying to work with the data. Problem:
I can download it as files to export into either Excel or SPSS and for some stupid reason, I thought if I did that, it would just show up as some sort of table or something (never worked with either programme before..) but instead it's just numbers and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever...

Can anyone tell me how to create the simplest kind of table with either programme? I just need to know how many people answered what to which question, nothing more.. And I have no idea how to get to a table like that Aaaaahhh.. Please help
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Freckles)
Hey there...

Okay, firstly, I have no idea how this is going to work, so please bear with me.. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

So basically, I have created this online questionaire, which a whole lot of people have filled in and I am now trying to work with the data. Problem:
I can download it as files to export into either Excel or SPSS and for some stupid reason, I thought if I did that, it would just show up as some sort of table or something (never worked with either programme before..) but instead it's just numbers and it doesn't make any sense whatsoever...

Can anyone tell me how to create the simplest kind of table with either programme? I just need to know how many people answered what to which question, nothing more.. And I have no idea how to get to a table like that Aaaaahhh.. Please help
Can you upload the raw data? Anonymise if necessary, but in all fairness, to the untrained eye an Excel spreadsheet is just a load of numbers...

Excel format too, please.
Freckles
Rep:
?
I have been able to put it into Excel, because the programme I created the questionaire with did that automatically. But I am unable to do ANYTHING with what I see on screen now I could send you the excel file, I suppose.. do you think you'd be able to put it into a readable table?

What's the excel format? Sorry
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have been able to put it into Excel, because the programme I created the questionaire with did that automatically. But I am unable to do ANYTHING with what I see on screen now I could send you the excel file, I suppose.. do you think you'd be able to put it into a readable table?

What's the excel format? Sorry
.xls or .xlsx

Can you upload what the questionnaire thingy gave you?
Freckles
Rep:
?
It's .csv format... That's the way it gave it to me..

How do I upload stuff?

I'll try
Freckles
Rep:
?
here... does this work?
Attached files
Freckles
Rep:
?
Ah, I think it did
-WhySoSerious?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
.csv?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values
Freckles
Rep:
?
Yeah, that's the way the programm gave it to me. I then opened it with Excel and it looked nothing like my questionaire :/
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah, I think it did
All sorted?

.csv's just need to be imported as a data source

Excel will do the rest if you give it the right settings.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Done it for you there, if you've not cracked it yet
Attached files
Freckles
Rep:
?
Aaaah, you did it? I want to hug you right now!!

No, I haven't done it, I have no idea how.. can you please tell me?!
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aaaah, you did it? I want to hug you right now!!

No, I haven't done it, I have no idea how.. can you please tell me?!
Do you have word 97-2003 or word 2007?
Freckles
Rep:
?
Freckles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Done it for you there, if you've not cracked it yet
Thanks

But to be honest, I still don't see how it works.. Basically, I had 31 or 32 questions and 572 (I think) people opened the questionaire. Only 384 filled it in completely though. I was expecting a table to show me How many people answered what to which question. I just cannot for the life of me tell that from that thingy Sorry, I have abviously never dealt with statistics before
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks

But to be honest, I still don't see how it works.. Basically, I had 31 or 32 questions and 572 (I think) people opened the questionaire. Only 384 filled it in completely though. I was expecting a table to show me How many people answered what to which question. I just cannot for the life of me tell that from that thingy Sorry, I have abviously never dealt with statistics before
What the table shows is all the respondents (going down the page) and each row shows the responses to their questions (going across the page). I've just switched computers as hubby's kicked me off, so I'll look in more detail in a sec when i've done it all again.

It's dead simple to do imort the data, though.

Click the Data tab in the Ribbon.
Click "From Text"
Select Delimited
Then choose the character that separates the columns, in this case, a semicolon, then click Finish.

[EDIT] Does the questionnaire site come with instructions about how to interpret the data? Do you have the link to the questionnaire?
Freckles
Rep:
?
The questionaire is in German, so I guess it won't be much help... It doesn't come with instructions, I think, hang on.. Thanks so much for your effort though!!
Freckles
Rep:
?
This is the questionaire...

http://onlineforschung.org/freckles/
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm really struggling to figure out what all the columns are about... Does anyone else have an idea? I'm guessing that the numbers in the columns correspond to the option selected... but I don't know what the relationship is.
Freckles
Rep:
?
Oh dear.. any other idea where I could find help for this? I really need to make be able to understand the outcome of the questionaire
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1621)
79.15%
Leave (427)
20.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise