Turn on thread page Beta

does anyone have any ideas wot its like in the raf and how does it sompare it wot the army is like?

ReputationRep:
    Similar, but with planes.

hahaha i no that already
    i meant is it better in the raf etc.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by :-))
    hahaha i no that already
    i meant is it better in the raf etc.
    Depends whether you like flying, or running around shooting things I guess. What part of the RAF interests you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Depends whether you like flying, or running around shooting things I guess. What part of the RAF interests you?
    You can still run around like a crazed maniac in the RAF regiment if you want to though, or fly in the Army Air Corps. I've heard the foods good though in the RAF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :-))
    does anyone have any ideas wot its like in the raf and how does it sompare it wot the army is like?
    wel im in the air training corps. if u wntd info u shud go on dat raf carrers web site its wel gud. if not u cud always try a bit of air cdts n army cdts coz dey teach u lds bout da airforce n army. personally u shud go wiv da air cdts coz u do army stuff, dat way u cn find info, n visit lds of raf stations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy f)
    wel im in the air training corps. if u wntd info u shud go on dat raf carrers web site its wel gud. if not u cud always try a bit of air cdts n army cdts coz dey teach u lds bout da airforce n army. personally u shud go wiv da air cdts coz u do army stuff, dat way u cn find info, n visit lds of raf stations!

If you want a career in ANY of the Armed Forces you might want to brush up on your spelling. You can't write essays/letters/orders on a mobile phone!

ReputationRep:
    The RAF regiment has just lost one of its most important (and interesting roles) of providing rapier cover. It now, to all intents and purposes, solely defends air bases. They are damn good soldiers and they do do plenty of interesting things during war but they spend a vast amount of time guarding bases (and, more to the point, nuclear weapon) in the UK. I would therefore not join it if you are looking for frontline action.

Remember that "the RAF" is a very broad thing. Do you want to be a fast jet pilot or a bigger transport/nimrod style plane? Or, there are plenty of jobs for medics and mechanics. If you want to join an elite army force (like the RAF regiment) have you considered the Parachute Regiment or Royal Marines?

It is hard to generalise on the difference but there are major differences in how the system works. For starters the only people who actually fly are officers - the NCOs and airmen act as support crew. This may or may not appeal to you.

ReputationRep:
    Raf? You mean that Italian singer?

No idea what he's like sorry

ReputationRep:
    Do you know of any jobs within the RAF that give you loads of free time? At a guess i'd say the RAF fire service would. Your probably asking why would you want lots of free time. Purely because i train 5 times a week and i like to fight in no holds barred tournaments, the more time i have, the more time i can put into my personal training.

ReputationRep:
    Major RAF news here :

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...01203,,00.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thephenom)
    Do you know of any jobs within the RAF that give you loads of free time? At a guess i'd say the RAF fire service would. Your probably asking why would you want lots of free time. Purely because i train 5 times a week and i like to fight in no holds barred tournaments, the more time i have, the more time i can put into my personal training.

Thats a novel concept, joining the forces so you can have free time???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REME-Bod)
    If you want a career in ANY of the Armed Forces you might want to brush up on your spelling. You can't write essays/letters/orders on a mobile phone!

ReputationRep:
    If you were a millionaire would you work vlad ?

Also, it's now like i'm using the free time to sit on my ass and relax is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilipsCDRW)
    BTW for those who don't know their SAMs, the Rapier that Alex.davies mentions is an surface-to-air missile used to defend the RAF airbases from attack.
    Sorry, should have mentioned it. Arguably the only bit of kit that we have that is actually superior to the Americans. As for the eurofighter, the whole project is a joke - sure, we need jets to establish dominance in the air. Why on earth we need so many is very debatable! We are very unlikely to be invaded by the hordes of Soviet MIG's (which is what the eurofighter was designed to stop). Still, we have to spend money somehow. Still now is a good time to join the RAF - they are looking for a new generation of pilots to go with the new generation of planes (when they finally get delivered).

For free time I imagine that firefighter (either civilian or military) is about as easy as you will get! I'm not sure how well paid/rewarding it is though. Might be worth, as people have already suggested, dropping into an RAF carears office and finding an ex. or current fireman to ask.

Alex

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.