Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Is it right than as soon as students have got 3 As in 3 academic subjects, it is the personal statement that matters?

Oxbridge entry requirements are 3 As - for example if 1 student has got 3 As and the other has got 5 As, would they care about the 2 additional As the 2nd student has got or would they look at other things like potential, personal statement etc. to choose which one to accept?

ReputationRep:
    The interview is much more important than grades.

ReputationRep:
    Results get your personal statement read, if that's good you get the interview which is the main thing. Other subjects might add to your profile for instance if you want to study sciences and have all the sciences plus maths they might see that you have a good grounding but i don't think it would make a difference if the next person had 3 subjects and a great personal statement!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Flo[ProActiv])
    They're both important parts of the application, it would be wrong to say that one part is more important than the other as it depends on the individual application. Every part of the application is considered to get an overall picture of the applicant to make decisions. Ceteris paribus, 5 As would probably be better than 3 As.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=23 :dance:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flo[ProActiv])
    "MYTH: 'Interviews are crucial when applying to Cambridge'

REALITY: 'Colleges rank all the applicants they can on paper in most cases: by GCSE, AS unit score, school/college reference and, depending upon subject, result in any aptitude test. After interview, that rank order remains around 80% intact; in other words, for most applicants, interviews serve principally to confirm what we already know about them' - A long serving Admissions Tutor. In all Colleges, decisions are based on many indicators and no one interviewer decides an applicant's fate."

Source: http://www.qjcr.org.uk/page/access-information
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you're thinking of applying for Law, OP, your LNAT results would come into it as well

ReputationRep:
    It's all hurdles you have to meet; you need a solid set of GCSE/AS grades (usually) in order to be ranked well, you then need to pass the admissions test in order to get to interview. Once you've leaped this hurdle you need to perform well in interview which entails a combination of knowing your stuff and luck on the day in terms of the attitude the tutors take to you and the questions they ask you.

ReputationRep:
    4 As is basically the benchmark.

5 A2s is unnecessary and too widespread, and 3 A2s isn't challenging enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    Rubbish. Just because a lot of Oxbridge applicants offer four A levels does not mean that the admissions tutors favour them over those offering three. Plenty of successful applicants only have three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Rubbish. Just because a lot of Oxbridge applicants offer four A levels does not mean that the admissions tutors favour them over those offering three. Plenty of successful applicants only have three.
    oxbridge have always said that students need to choose demanding courses that challenge themselves. but also favour deeper learning, rather than broad learning.

3 A2s is quite simply, a pisstake for anyone looking at oxbridge.

4 A2s plus further learning into one's favoured subject is surely the way to go.

3 A2s just simply wont fill a week

i do 4 A2s, at least an hour of STEP a day, and i still have 11 and a half hours of frees a week. and am finished with college work by 5 (including step).

ReputationRep:
    oxbridge have always said that students need to choose demanding courses that challenge themselves. but also favour deeper learning, rather than broad learning.
    An extra A level is broader learning, not deeper. AEA and STEP take you deeper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogkicker91)
    "MYTH: 'Interviews are crucial when applying to Cambridge'

REALITY: 'Colleges rank all the applicants they can on paper in most cases: by GCSE, AS unit score, school/college reference and, depending upon subject, result in any aptitude test. After interview, that rank order remains around 80% intact; in other words, for most applicants, interviews serve principally to confirm what we already know about them' - A long serving Admissions Tutor. In all Colleges, decisions are based on many indicators and no one interviewer decides an applicant's fate."

Source: http://www.qjcr.org.uk/page/access-information
    Does anyone know whether this is also the case for Oxford? Or are the interviews more important?

ReputationRep:
    Tests before the interview like the TSA or ELAT seem to play a significant role as well.

ReputationRep:
    3 A2s is quite simply, a pisstake for anyone looking at oxbridge.
    I'm sorry, but this is absolute rubbish. I'm impressed with the amount of academic work you're doing, and well done on getting your offer. But - I'm an Engineering student at Selwyn, last year the most academically successful college in Cambridge, and the great majority of my friends there have 3 As at A2-level. (And I don't believe I'm selective in choosing my friends that way!)

I'm a bit of a weirdo, having got 5, but although this might've shown that I was capable of fitting a lot of stuff into my schedule (which would be a plus for the application), admissions tutors aren't really that interested otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    You woudl be surprised that most of the maths/ science subjects at Oxfrd dont require or expect more than 3As. Thats not to say that doing 6A's isn't impresssive its just that there are other ways of showibng abiltiy such as AEA.

Anbody who says you must have 6A*s and 4A's + is casunig unnecessary worry to people who want to apply.

ReputationRep:

5 A2s is unnecessary and too widespread, and 3 A2s isn't challenging enough.
    I'm doing 4, but this is balls.

Why is it inherently better that a student has an additional A level is a less relevent subject (and even when doing 3, its normal to be doing at least one subject that isn't especially related)? It's better to take AEAs or do extra reading (at least for the Arts subjects) or STEP in the case of maths, rather than pick up another A level for the hell of it. It's certainly not required, and nor should it be. A tutor can assess in a written test or an interview how capable you are, far more than they can by means of asking for another A in a paint by numbers exercise.

(For the record, I'm doing 4 because I love my subjects and want the challenge, I'm not doing it for the sake of the university, in fact, with an AAA offer, its actually not in my interests to do 4, workload wise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    I'm doing 4, but this is balls.

Why is it inherently better that a student has an additional A level is a less relevent subject (and even when doing 3, its normal to be doing at least one subject that isn't especially related)? It's better to take AEAs or do extra reading (at least for the Arts subjects) or STEP in the case of maths, rather than pick up another A level for the hell of it. It's certainly not required, and nor should it be. A tutor can assess in a written test or an interview how capable you are, far more than they can by means of asking for another A in a paint by numbers exercise.

(For the record, I'm doing 4 because I love my subjects and want the challenge, I'm not doing it for the sake of the university, in fact, with an AAA offer, its actually not in my interests to do 4, workload wise).
    3 A2s wont fill your academic week. lol

4.5 hours of teaching per subject a week. its easily enough teaching time, especially in complementary subjects. maybe add an hour max per subject for homework.

you do the math. ok i will.

thats 16.5 hours of a-levels a week.

divide that by 5 days, thats 3.3 hours of work a day.

and assuming you should be working, say, 7 hours a day according to a gcse school day timetable.

3 A2s just isnt enough.

and most subjects dont have enough additional work to be doing.

i do step, and i do an hour or 2 a day. and still arent pushed for time at all, and i do 4 A2s.

ReputationRep:

4.5 hours of teaching per subject a week. its easily enough teaching time, especially in complementary subjects. maybe add an hour max per subject for homework.

you do the math. ok i will.

thats 16.5 hours of a-levels a week.

divide that by 5 days, thats 3.3 hours of work a day.

and assuming you should be working, say, 7 hours a day according to a gcse school day timetable.

3 A2s just isnt enough.

and most subjects dont have enough additional work to be doing.

i do step, and i do an hour or 2 a day. and still arent pushed for time at all, and i do 4 A2s.
    I do extra reading, I feel it benefits me more than doing another A level for the sake of it (I know I'm doing 4, but that's not to aid my application, more a form of personal achievement, strictly in terms of preparation for uni, I feel it makes sod all difference).

It's your choice what you're doing with your time, I mean, for the sciences, doing 4 might make sense (doing 3 sciences and maths, or two and further maths) but in History it's far more beneficial for me to just read more, rather than doing as many A levels as possible.

And I'm not pushed for time either, so I appreciate your point to an extent, but I believe there are better ways to assess a candidate than by how many A levels they can do.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    So what? I had free periods with 5 A2s, doesn't mean I should've done more just to fill up the time.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.