Edinburgh Earth Scientists Watch

aw1213
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, is anybody doing earth science/geology at Edinburgh in September? Any current students on here who could tell me a bit about the course?
Thanks!
michaela_banana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I knew a few people who did courses in this school (Environmental Sci, Geol+Phys. Geog, straight geol, and I think some other similar one too). Opinions were pretty mixed to be honest, one environmental sci switched to straight geog, the GPG student dropped out. But most of the people I knew were of the slacker school of student!! It's less competitive as some other science courses so the grade requirements are lower but once you get here it's just as demanding as everything else and I thing some people were a bit shocked by that. The people who were really passionate about the subject, rather than having just "fallen into it" really seemed to enjoy it, and there are a lot of options for outside courses in the first 2 years (A number did arts courses, languages, business etc.) So yeah, sorry for a pretty mixed review, I'm pretty sure the people I knew were not a representative sample!!
rosie9391
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aw1213)
Hi, is anybody doing earth science/geology at Edinburgh in September? Any current students on here who could tell me a bit about the course?
Thanks!
Hi, what course have you applied for??
I've got into do Physical Geography and Geology
aw1213
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
just plain Geology.
Black Douglas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
durham or edinburgh as safety for geophysics?
tricks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aw1213)
Thanks!
Seems this thread is quite old and not sure how useful this info will be to you now but I'm currently doing Geology at Edinburgh. Just started this year 08-09 and have had mixed feelings so far. The first year courses are very general and are basically recaps of A-level geography. Core courses like Earth Dynamics have interesting lectures but some of the practicals can be quite boring. From what I have experienced so far the lecturers are extremely nice and always willing to help with any difficulties. Work load is managable and people on the course are friendly...but i guess that depends every year. The main Earth Science building at Kings Buildings Campus has everything any geoscientist would need/want but labs are spread across the campus. Lectures are however in the central campus....I guess you experience the best of both campuses that way:yep:

On the whole there is a kind of family feel to the whole geosciences department with a geological society which holds lots of event like weekends away and sport activities (paintballing, hockey, etc).

Reputation wise a degree from the Geoscience dept at Edinburgh is highly regarded as with nearly all degree courses at Edinburgh.

If you have any other questions I would be glad to answer them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (246)
27.27%
No (656)
72.73%

Watched Threads