Turn on thread page Beta

Pug? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my parents are thinking of buying a pug and I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of pets they make, general temprament and any other information?

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    They are really tiny, but otherwise generally fairly docile but lively at times. Great with kids etc.

Why not get a nice bigger dog like a boxer or labrador?

ReputationRep:
    becasue we have two small dogs and my parents don't want big dogs again (we had 4 large dogs before and now they just want little ones as they're 'easier to manage' apparently, lol) but i'd really like another labrador or springer spaniel (we used to have 2 of each but they've all died of old age now) but it's up to my parents really

ReputationRep:
    I'm also more concerned about any health problems that ougs are prone to? Is there many? wtc, so any info on that would be great

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT GET A PUG.
    The list of health problems is endless, and they are the most inbred breed in Britian, apparently. They are grossly deformed, which any intelligent person can tell by looking at it. A pug's face is so squashed that breathing is very difficult. Many people joke about how their pugs snore, but it's not really funny, because it's all because of pathetic breed standards. They often suffer from respiratory problems, but these can be difficult to anesthetize and insure, so veterinary help is often not possible.
    They are also very gassy (I'm actually not joking, it's horrible). And stubborn.
    If you want to know any more, ask.

If I were you, I'd go to your nearest rescue centre and have a look round there.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather go to a rescue centre and get an older dog but my parents won't, and as the dog is for them it's not my decision unfortunately. Do all pugs suffer theses health problems so extremely? Obviously we would ask a vet for a recommended breeder but are they all that bad? And if so are there any other similair sized breeds that might be better? We already have two little jack russels so my parents don't want anything much bigger.

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    No they are not that bad. Most breeds tend to have inherent health problems, so whilst a shame its fairly unavoidable these days. They are cute little critters too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was just wondering if the diseases pugs tend to inherit are worse than the majority of others or if they are more prevailant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    DO NOT GET A PUG.
    The list of health problems is endless, and they are the most inbred breed in Britian, apparently. They are grossly deformed, which any intelligent person can tell by looking at it. A pug's face is so squashed that breathing is very difficult. Many people joke about how their pugs snore, but it's not really funny, because it's all because of pathetic breed standards. They often suffer from respiratory problems, but these can be difficult to anesthetize and insure, so veterinary help is often not possible.
    They are also very gassy (I'm actually not joking, it's horrible). And stubborn.
    If you want to know any more, ask.

If I were you, I'd go to your nearest rescue centre and have a look round there.
    Whilst this may be true there ARE ways around it. Go for a GOOD breeder i.e. one that does health tests on studs/*****es and ensures pups are healthy etc. DO NOT buy a dog online, these are almost guarenteed to be unhealthy. ASK around, don't just go for the first/closest breeder. Remember, this dog will be with you for about 15 years hopefully, you don't want to regret anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    Whilst this may be true there ARE ways around it. Go for a GOOD breeder i.e. one that does health tests on studs/*****es and ensures pups are healthy etc. DO NOT buy a dog online, these are almost guarenteed to be unhealthy. ASK around, don't just go for the first/closest breeder. Remember, this dog will be with you for about 15 years hopefully, you don't want to regret anything.

Yeah, we're planning on asking our local vet to recommend a breeder, which he did for our other dogs (and they've all been really healthy and relatively problem free). We used to have 4 dogs (which have all died now but my parents had them before i was born so i grew up with them, and they all lived to between 13 and 16) and now we have two young mini jack russells so I do understand the long term commitment involved in getting a dog, lol. They're just thinking about getting a pug but they've a couple of other breeds in mind. And we won't be getting one for several months yet.
    So pugs aren't plagued with chronic health problems, at least not always? And not more so than most breeds?
    And also what are they like in general? Obviously it's difficult to generalise but as a rule?
    And don't worry, I would never ever buy a dog off the internet or from a newspaper ad, it's far too risky.

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Who else thought this was a WoW reference?

Go for a good breeder OP, but remember they can often have health problems, a pug can be a lot to take on. They're lovely animals but the nature of their appearance can mean they are more likely to get ill etc.

Some other smallish dogs you might want to consider - terriers (loads of other types apart from Jack Russels), beagles, chihuahuas, dachshunds, corgis.... can't think of any more.

Have a look at this http://www.allsmalldogbreeds.com/sma...ds-a-to-z.html, may be of some help.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know that much about pugs but I think they are more likely to have breathing problems (obviously). I'm not sure whether they are worse than any other breed, I wouldn't say so, assuming the parents are healthy.
    Pugs can be intelligent, fast little dogs. They can also be stubborn. They're quite easy to keep i.e. don't need a lot of exercise.
    I'd look up more info online, there's loads. Get onto any breeder website (American websites will probably have the most info, its just the way it is) and see what they say about them and what to look for etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotgoose)
    Hi, my parents are thinking of buying a pug and I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of pets they make, general temprament and any other information?

Thanks guys
    You said you already have jacks, why not think of another type of terrier? There's loads out there that rarely get considered - and many on the endangered breeds list - what exactly are your parents looking for in a dog?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amanda1801)
    You said you already have jacks, why not think of another type of terrier? There's loads out there that rarely get considered - and many on the endangered breeds list - what exactly are your parents looking for in a dog?
    I don't think they want another terrier really, our jack russells are lovely but I think they'd like something different. They just want a small, placid, reasonably intelligent dog I think and one that won't be bigger than the two mini jack russells we've got. Also they definiately want a *****, not a dog. Are there any terriers you'd recommend or any other small dog? They've also been looking into dachshunds as well as pugs, does anyone know what they're like?

ReputationRep:
    what about a retired greyhound? yeah they are bigger than what you want, but very calm and low maintenance. Just make sure you get one thats ok with small dogs lol

ReputationRep:
    Very few if any greyhounds are ok with small dogs, my grandad breeds them for a living and they have a really high prey drive. Plus, they're too big for what my parents want unfortunately and we don't want our two little dogs too feel intimidated or anything by a big dog coming into the house so we thought a puppy or a small dog would be better.

ReputationRep:
    Also, does anyone know how intelligent/trainable pugs are as a general rule?

Thanks again guys, all the advice has been great

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.