Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think Liverpool is going to be my Firm, but I had to leave the open day early due to work.

So, Whats the main difference between these halls? I know Greenbank is a tad closer, but..? Is Carnatic meant to be a bit livelier? Can anyone whos lived here give me the lowdown? Would be much appreciated : )

I must say, I do like to socialize, but Im a bit bored of the binge drinking culture now. One night out a week will do me fine, and Id much rather just have a quiet one or two down the pub (Getting a bit old you see!) So, was just wondering what the different halls where like? I'd prefer it if I could get a good nights sleep! : ) Thanks

ReputationRep:
    They're both miles away from the university. I cant comment on the places, but the position for both is equally terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Carnatic is wayy livelier. I'm at Dale Hall at the moment and a good nights sleep is far and few between!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Greenbank halls are nicer overall, but Carnatic has the better social reputation. I'd say Greenbank since you get nicer halls (bigger rooms, modern etc) and it's slightly quieter (I know what you mean about being old and wanting quiet pub nights :tongue:)

ReputationRep:
    Greenbank is closer by like 3 mins as you get the student bus into uni so it dosnt mattter. Carnatics much more fun in my opinion from speaking to my friends who stayed at greenbank they say the bar is rubbish there. Tbh tho, youll have fun wherever you go.

ReputationRep:
    Halls and quiet wont happen in either I'm afraid. Essentially you will be with frst years who have very little work so will make noise. It's tolerable though. I would avoid McNair halls as it's by the bus stop you will get yahoos shouting and screming about how they are going to drink a lot and mate with an overwieght female. Entertaianing yes, but not what you want when you are trying to finish your essay. Dale, Rankin, Salisbury, Morton are all pretty good, (away from the noise) although Rankin looks like a prison.

ReputationRep:
    Within the carnatic halls, does it really matter which one you pick? What are the pros/cons of each?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Carnatic is a bit more lively, whilst greenbank rooms are supposedly nicer. Mine's good anyway, really big! As for pubs, the Brookhouse is a good pub that's really close to Greenbank

ReputationRep:
    There are pros and cons to both. I live in carnatic @ salisbury hall right now.

Its true carnatic has more people and is a lot more noisy. The food is CRAP! Lol. Some ppl may not agree but the catered food i think is very poor. I had applied to greenbank self catered ensuite but didnt get a room. I got shoved in salisbury hall.

I would much rather be self catered. But carnatic has the bus start there and so if you're a medic you really do need to be here for your early wakeups. Otherwise by the time makes it way from carnatic to greenbank they're normally full and no1 at greenbank can even get on!

Though the facilities at greenbank are much better. Our halls here @ carnatic are 30-40 years old and are **** imho. If you need to live @ carnatic (for bus purposes is all i cud possibly think of) apply to McNair. It's the best hall for most "up to date" and facilities ie sink in room + kitchen + showers/baths and its right next to bus stop.

ReputationRep:
    I would pick carnatic- more people- more chance you will find better friends and have a good time. Greenbank- if your posh from a small village as patronising as it sounds you might prefer that one better. All the people from small areas are there that are fairly ok in terms of money

ReputationRep:
    Does Greenbank really attract posher people? I havent visited either of the halls, but was picking Greenbank soley because if offered self catering, and I dont think I can afford £106 a week to be catered, though am abit put off by the above quote from raven_o. Especially because I had problems with the people I lived with last time I was at Uni. Can you explain? CHeers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Morton and Lady M will be cheaper than that. It was £85 a couple years ago. You might want to look into city centre living as well. At lest that way you would save a couple hundred on travel.

If however it is your first year I would recommend Carnatic/Greenbank.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on the sites, all the catered halls are £106 p/w each, and the self catered £80.15. The only Self catering really then is Derby and Rathbone on Greenbank. I Hope its ok there..

ReputationRep:
    its not quiet in greenbank, the people arent any different to people at carni, its really lively and social and every night has people rolling in drunk and noisy! bbqs in the grounds are the best! carnatic seems to be good though too from what i hear so basically if you come to liverpool and want to have a good time, you will.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 30, 2009
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.