Turn on thread page Beta

Debit Card watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At the moment i just have a cash card which is really inconvient. I am 17 with nationwide, and they do not give debit Cards to anyone under 18! I was browsing around i saw on the HSBC website that they allow 13 yer olds to have them!?

Can anyone help me, in choosing the bank/building society to get a Debit card with?

Thanks a lot
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have a debit card & I'm with Yorkshire bank. I've had it for ages - like since I was 16 or something.

ReputationRep:
    Natwest

ReputationRep:
    My bank won't give me a debit card and I'm nearly 19. I think it's because I've been with them since I was 13.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh at 17 theres going to be no real difference between any bank account which offers a debit card. Personalli I'd just pick one with a local branch nearby and online banking.

ReputationRep:
    this isn't really a health issue... (you've posted it in h&r)

anyways look around at different banks, I presume you will go to uni? get an account with a bank that may interest you student account wise then you can just upgrade the account.

ReputationRep:
    woops lol - i just posted my contact lenses thread in finance - my bad

Thanks for all advice

ReputationRep:
    Rbs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonshine_1991)
    Rbs.
    Really? They wouldn't give me a debit card until i was 18. Although my sister was allowed one when she was 16, so they seem to be very inconsistent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessiainscough)
    Really? They wouldn't give me a debit card until i was 18. Although my sister was allowed one when she was 16, so they seem to be very inconsistent
    Yep. I got a revolve account when I was 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    My bank won't give me a debit card and I'm nearly 19. I think it's because I've been with them since I was 13.
    Why so? Debit cards requiremoney in the account, it's hardly a big thing for the bank to issue you one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Why so? Debit cards requiremoney in the account, it's hardly a big thing for the bank to issue you one.
    What happens is I go into the bank to ask for one, they say okay, we need to ask the manager and it never gets sent. I've done this about five times. Since I send money in the post lots I could do with a chequebook as well, but they won't give me one of those either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Natwest
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    I've had one with RBS for years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    What happens is I go into the bank to ask for one, they say okay, we need to ask the manager and it never gets sent. I've done this about five times. Since I send money in the post lots I could do with a chequebook as well, but they won't give me one of those either.
    Could you try ringing up - or going back and saying "I came in a while ago and asked about a debit card, but I don't seem to have got one throught he post..." or something?

Some banks won't give them out until you're 18 if they combine the debit card with a guarantee card, as by using the latter it is possible to go into an overdraft.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.