Applied for Nursing Dipolma - September 2009 - Need Advice!! Watch

NicolaC1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello, I am a Mature Student (will be 24 in September) and have just submitted my Application to UCAS for the Nursing Diploma course for this September.

I have applied to:
- York
- Southampton
- East Anglia
- Worcester
- Surrey

York is my favorite as I love the City and I love the idea of the College system. Any opinions on these University's would be great!

I understand that as a Diploma student, you are entitled to the NHS non-means tested Bursary of (around): £6000 per year and all your Tuition Fees are paid for. But, I was told by a couple of my friends, who are doing Nursing, that they do not have enough time to get a part-time job due to studying and placements. So, therefore is this Bursary realistic enough to live on?

Any advice about Finances and student life for a Mature Student, what is the best way of meeting people my own age?

Thanks!
lizpop
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm going to Leeds to do my diploma. I think £6000 a year is really good (for a student anyway :P).
When I start I think I'm going to join the NHSP as a care support worker. It's perfect for students!! You just go to work when you can.

http://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/
ZakBrannigan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lizpop)
I'm going to Leeds to do my diploma. I think £6000 a year is really good (for a student anyway :P).
When I start I think I'm going to join the NHSP as a care support worker. It's perfect for students!! You just go to work when you can.

http://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/
lizpop you nearly right money wise for the non-means teasted bursary ie nursing diploma its more £6381.00 which like you stated is really good.Obviously you get slightly less if u do the degree in nursing its slighty over £4000 and is dependent upon how many weeks your course is.:yes:
rebs2810
Report 9 years ago
Hi,
I've been to uni for a year and am changing to the diploma course for nursing. £6000 is double what I get for my students loan at the moment, so it is definatly enough to last you the year. you will not need a part time job with that bursary!! Looking forward to it a lot!!
Becca x
herbal bug
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by NicolaC1)
Hello, I am a Mature Student (will be 24 in September) and have just submitted my Application to UCAS for the Nursing Diploma course for this September.

I have applied to:
- York
- Southampton
- East Anglia
- Worcester
- Surrey

York is my favorite as I love the City and I love the idea of the College system. Any opinions on these University's would be great!

I understand that as a Diploma student, you are entitled to the NHS non-means tested Bursary of (around): £6000 per year and all your Tuition Fees are paid for. But, I was told by a couple of my friends, who are doing Nursing, that they do not have enough time to get a part-time job due to studying and placements. So, therefore is this Bursary realistic enough to live on?

Any advice about Finances and student life for a Mature Student, what is the best way of meeting people my own age?

Thanks!
Hiya. just aying that it is more then possible. i do the degree and qualify to no grant whatsoever as my parents earn too much. therefore i get £2265 in loan. they then lend me £2000 for rent a year, so i live on a total of £4265. it is definetly possible just harder :p: also you cant go out as much but as a nursing student you never get much chance of that anyway

Subcutaneous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Its do able, nhs p is a good one though, although due to the current economy places are less avaliable! grr
herbal bug
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ZakBrannigan)
lizpop you nearly right money wise for the non-means teasted bursary ie nursing diploma its more £6381.00 which like you stated is really good.Obviously you get slightly less if u do the degree in nursing its slighty over £4000 and is dependent upon how many weeks your course is.:yes:

£4000 a year where from? :eek:
:woo:
Enchanté
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There is enough time for a part time job. :s: Loads of my friends have them as bank health care workers/ I don't though because i'm not that bad with money.:p: Plus I don't really want to go onto the bank. It sounds silly, but just don't
It's easy to live off no problems. I had to get an overdraft though because sometimes I go over by £10-20
ZakBrannigan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by herbal bug)
£4000 a year where from? :eek:
:woo:
I just read it somewhere herbal bug or i might have phone up the student nhs bursay people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.4%